It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absence of sunspots make scientists wonder if they're seeing a calm before a storm of energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Absence of sunspots make scientists wonder if they're seeing a calm before a storm of energy

www.washingtonpost.com

As 2009 arrived, solar physicists looked for some action. They didn't get it. The sun continued to languish until mid-December, when the largest group of sunspots to emerge in several years appeared. Even with the solar cycle finally underway again, the number of sunspots has so far been well below expectations. Something appears to have changed inside the sun, something the models did not predict. But what?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I don't really know much about the subject, but I've always been intrigued by the solar storms and their affects on the earth.

It's an interesting story and I thought I'd share it here for some discussion.

Apparently the lack of renewed activity has some worried that we could be in for a major solar storm.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: I didn't realize at the time but this links to page 2 of the article. And after reading so many pages you get blocked from others unless you can subscribe to the WP.

[edit on 6/23/2010 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Cycles can sometimes appear to be cycles, but in fact, nothing more than a part of a larger cycle.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I fear a solar storm will only further complicate Earth in tandem with the release of all that methane in the gulf...

[edit on 6/23/10 by Tharsis]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Find a cave! They are coming soon.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Sun flares or not matters none to me, I have my SPF 45hundred.
And a sprayer bottle.
No I don't know but does the sun have a sort of season(s)?
Any predictability?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Things are speeding up!

And while Marduk did this, ordered Ishtar the stars to broadcast a new light, invisible.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Interesting article, thanks for posting this OP.

S&F.

Originally the next solar Max was supposed to be 2012 but it was then predicted by NASA to take place a little later at May 2013.

The way the Sun is looking just now, that may be pushed back further again. Just when we think it has sprung to life, it goes and has another quiet spell again.

will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years for sure.

g

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well,one thing is petty certain.

The PTB know something is going to happen,they just don't want to worry us peed on's.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I'm not worried about any direct human effect (cancer etc etc) but more that it will take down the power grid.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

I think we are in the middle of the solar max now. I believe it is supposed to hit its peak in 2012, I can't remember if that's accurate.

According to the article, some scientists have linked Europes cold winter last year to the lowered sunspot activity. And some think the "little ice age" was caused or influenced by a decrease in solar activity.

Some also think that the sun is losing its ability to create sunspots (according to the article) and they could completely disappear by 2015, and could usher in a new ice age.

I'm more intrigued now, and as soon as I'm not watching leak footage like it was the super bowl I'll dig more into it. Hopefully will be more information in the thread for me to chew on.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
In order to predict the activity of the Sun, with any reasonable accuracy, wouldn't we have to fully understand the process by which it is fueled? It seems we still don't. The underlying dynamic-chaotic system seems to be more complex than the surface by an order of magnitude.

What we should be studying is the mechanisms by which life has survived the extremes of the Sun. The problem with cycles larger than ourselves is the fact that we could have 'appeared,' so to speak, between cycles beginning and ending..., so - happy fortune - everything is a surprise to us!

There is, however life that has endured, unchanged, for ages which still lives today. What made for their success? And can we not emulate that through the innovation of language and civilization?

... or am I being dense?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The problem with cycles larger than ourselves is the fact that we could have 'appeared,' so to speak, between cycles beginning and ending

Good point Max. We may never know just how long these cycles could be. Yes, there are 11yr cycles etc, but what if there are also bigger cycles outwith these smaller ones?

There's lots of great technology up there now watching the suns activity, but hopefully it won't all get fried before we actually get some excellent insight into the workings of the Sun.

reply to post by ThaLoccster

We don't know when the next solar maximum will be, but probably the best predictions are for a weak maximum in 2013

astrobiology.nasa.gov...

An international panel of experts led by NOAA and sponsored by NASA has released a new prediction for the next solar cycle. Solar Cycle 24 will peak, they say, in May 2013 with a below-average number of sunspots

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I've spent the last couple of hours reading about the sun, solar cycles and a few other topics that branched out from there. I've always been fascinated with astronomy and I've wanted to get a telescope for gazing but I haven't been able to save the money to get a good one. I guess I've just never taken the time to learn more about the Sun, now's a good time.

Here are a few NASA links to sunspot cycles and solar cycle prediction.

Solar Cycle Prediction

The Sunspot Cycle

Here's some other information I have been reading.

First Sunspotless Month

A Spotless Sun

'Maunder Minimum will arrive in time to save planet from utterly foolish global carbon tax'

Most are of the concensus that we are heading for a new "little ice age". I don't know enough to really offer an opinion, but from what I'm reading it does seem likely.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I find this topic the most fascinating of all, and before I found ATS I was religiously on www.iceagenow.com Check it out. This guy has dedicated his life to the topic and he has awesome links to what is currently happening with our sun.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by christine76]

new topics

top topics

join