It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoners cashed in on homebuyer tax credit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Prisoners cashed in on homebuyer tax credit

money.cnn.com

More than 1,200 prison inmates, including 241 serving life sentences, defrauded the government of $9.1 million in tax credits reserved for first-time homebuyers, according to a Treasury Department report released Wednesday.

Treasury's inspector general also found that thousands of people filed multiple claims or made claims outside the allotted time period. In all, more than $28 million was improperly doled out.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
No wonder we're going broke.

No one is watching, no one is held accountable anymore.

How does this happen?

What can be done in the futre to prevent this type of non-sense. Our government is just giving money away.

Another thing, why are inmates even allowed access to the tools necessary to claim this credit?

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Well they are convicts, that's a no brainer.

What about this? The report also found that improper filers included 34 employees of the IRS.

Curious why does the media call it "improper filers" regarding IRS employees, and then call it "defrauding the government" when referring to everyone else?

Always a slant it seems.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Crap, I forgot to comment on that part. Thanks for pointing it out.

Shame, shame shame on them all.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I smell an inside (government program) job.
I would checking-out that Chicago government mob...

The peoples (I mean Americans) government money needs to be locked-down and the removal of this nonsense by jailing the guilty government employees.

Oh look, I didn't even read about the above IRS involvement before I made my statement.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Another thing, why are inmates even allowed access to the tools necessary to claim this credit?

The IRS doesn't allow them to quit filing just because they've been incarcerated.

They own homes have wives, families, businesses & investments.

The idea that all convicts are homeless indigents might be right more of the time, but not always.

[edit out Scsm, please forgive]

[edit on 23-6-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Nice pickout VLF. And to the OP, 28 million is not acceptable in missing funds. I completly agree and it is ths sort of thing that is breaking us, but in the long run how does this compare to say.... a missing 2.3 trillion
If we did nothing about that, what will we do about this? Thanks for the info though

top topics

join