It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McChrystal Resigns Over Critical Remarks, Obama Names Petraeus as Replacement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

President Obama announced Wednesday that he has accepted Gen. Stanley McChrystal's resignation as the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan following a scathing article in which McChrystal and his aides were quoted criticizing the administration for its handling of the war.

In doing so, Obama nominated Gen. David Petraeus, the head of U.S. Central Command and the former commanding general in Iraq, to replace him. The president stressed that while the decision was a difficult one, it does not represent a change in the course of the war.

Source

It's good to know that obama has the common sense to replace one general with a better one. Don'ty get me wrong McChrystal is a good general but Petraeus is better.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Id love to see mcChrystal form a right-wing military coup to usurp the obama administration. In fact, I would like to see them usurp the entire government and support the people

[edit on 23-6-2010 by SPACEYstranger]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger
Id love to see mcChrystal form a right-wing military coup to usurp the obama administration. In fact, I would like to see them usurp the entire government and support the people

So, you think it's okay to shred the Constitution just because you disagree with the policies of a Constitutionally-elected government?

What a disgusting, tyrannical troll you are.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

You need an end-game strategy for that one.

Quite bluntly - there are militia groups around the U.S. that could, rather quickly (48-hours) decimate much of the Federal control.

Satellite relays, power substations, VIPs - most are rather poorly guarded. The line of presidential succession is defended against obliteration by nuclear weapons and 'classic' assassinations that keep arrival times, departures, travel routes, etc rather random and unpredictable.

So, let's say any militarized fashion stages a coupe. .... "now what?"

You would, essentially, have to re-form the entire nation while simultaneously attempting to provide for all you abolished and our society has come to rely upon.

Supporting the people is a noble cause - but when 40% think A, 30% think B and another 30% think STFU - which people do you support?

This is an especially important distinction when you decide to destroy the existing government and everyone is free to campaign their idealistic form of government around as the only solution (and kill people who don't agree).

When I was younger I thought much more radically - but, now that I'm a little older, things are not as simple as "just go blow up the government and start over."

Anyway - it was a bad move for the General to allow the Rolling Stones to report in the way he did, and about the criticism of the Obama administration.

There's a way to criticize the administration... this was not the way.

Though I honestly wish he would have stuck to his guns, rather than apologizing like it was an accident or something. It would have been far more amusing for him to verbally castrate the President on national television or something - and probably been a better reflection of the attitude the military has towards this Administration (as a whole - individuals in the military always have differing opinions - we like to watch arguments between our LPO and some of the department heads, our LPO gets beet-red and yells in his attempt to explain his position on things).

I can imagine there will be a mandatory training (death-by-power-point) to be held on the chain of command and respect for our civilian leadership next drill weekend.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

So, you think it's okay to shred the Constitution just because you disagree with the policies of a Constitutionally-elected government?

What a disgusting, tyrannical troll you are.

Looks like this little mans got his nickers in a twist.

big words make you s-s-sound smart!

top topics

join