It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle signal is simulated as sound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Scientists have simulated the sounds set to be made by sub-atomic particles such as the Higgs boson when they are produced at the Large Hadron Collider.
Their aim is to develop a means for physicists at Cern to "listen to the data" and pick out the Higgs particle if and when they finally detect it.
Dr Lily Asquith modelled data from the giant Atlas experiment at the LHC.
She worked with sound engineers to convert data expected from collisions at the LHC into sounds.
"If the energy is close to you, you will hear a low pitch and if it's further away you hear a higher pitch," the particle physicist told BBC News.
"If it's lots of energy it will be louder and if it's just a bit of energy it will be quieter."

That just sounds very creepy and fake to add. It was still very cool though.

Does anyone know exactly why it is called the ‘God Particle’?

[edit on 6/23/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Does anyone know exactly why it is called the ‘God Particle’?

From Wikipedia:

The Higgs boson is often referred to as "the God particle" by the media,[27] after the title of Leon Lederman's book, The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?.[28] While use of this term may have contributed to increased media interest in particle physics and the Large Hadron Collider,[28] many scientists dislike it as overstating the importance of the particle.[27] In a renaming competition, a jury of physicists chose the name "the champagne bottle boson" as the best popular name

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I remember reading about the 'God' particle awhile back.

I also heard about it from my little brother.

Hopefully, an educated individual will post information about it, in this topic.

You deserve a star, and a flag.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Everything is sound/vibration/color ... from a flower to the cells that make up your body.

The God particle is the God in YOU.

You are sound, you are vibration, you are God.

They are getting there...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that sound has qualities not unlike windchines?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Its called the god particle because this particle hold the key to undersyanding how the universe came to be, things like why do we have the particles we see and how EVERYTHING was made! its kind of like the missing link. I've seen lots of documentary's on it.

I can tell you one thing for sure..... I just wired it up and sampled these sounds to use in my music...hope its not copyrighted! haha the god particle should be for EVERYONE!

they sound great! and interesting to my ears.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by TrentReznor]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
Anyone else notice that sound has qualities not unlike windchines?

The last one, somewhat. The first two sound like a farfisa organ.

I love how the article claims "What the particle may sound like".

I think they made this up in order to give someone a chance to play with their new Yamaha synthesizer.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'd have to wonder what it would sound like to a dog.

Human hearing is only capable of so much....

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I do work for Atlas experiment. I've been involved in data analysis in physics experiments in the past, and prototyped some of the hardware currently installed in Atlas.

Apart from PR and pop-science aspects, the value of conversion of data into sound is zero.

In terms of bandwidth and sheer processing capacity, there is no system in human brain that beats the visual channel. Sure you can convert ANY data to ANY format, even to Braille. Just don't expect anything useful to come out of this.

Bleh.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
the sound in the video is a bell, put through a Low Frequency Oscillator to give it that wobbling effect

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
What absolute junk science and a waste of money suggesting the god particle may sound like this or that. I don't really see the point of such conjecture. Especially when it doesn't have an application in the real world.

It might as well just sound like a fart.

IRM

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Hey these people are bored, they have been waiting forever to get this ting going, what would expect, they would probably get fired for play checkers. Makes it look like they are doing some thing.
But to me that smells like Star Trek, on taste a bit like.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I wonder what it would sound like trough a Tesla spirit radio...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Sounds like the god particle really digs FM Synthesis. Can't blame it, the DX7 was one badass synth.

Cool stuff, thanks for posting.

TheAssoc.

new topics

top topics

join