It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCIENCE VS. RELIGION What Scientists Really Think

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Just found this, i know i know there are 100 science vs religion threads but i thought this one was a little different. Many people put science and religion up against each other, and while they are so busy inserting their self importance, stroking their ego and going on and on at length about how logical they are and how illogical others are. They do not stop and see that putting science up against religion is a false dilemma because they are in no way a dichotomy.

www.washingtonpost.com...
Rice University sociologist Elaine Ecklund offers a fresh perspective on this debate in "Science vs. Religion." Rather than offering another polemic, she builds on a detailed survey of almost 1,700 scientists at elite American research universities -- the most comprehensive such study to date. These surveys and 275 lengthy follow-up interviews reveal that scientists often practice a closeted faith. They worry how their peers would react to learning about their religious views.

Fully half of these top scientists are religious. Only five of the 275 interviewees actively oppose religion. Even among the third who are atheists, many consider themselves "spiritual." One describes this spiritual atheism as being rooted in "wonder about the complexity and the majesty of existence," a sentiment many nonscientists -- religious or not -- would recognize. By not engaging with religion more fully and publicly, "the academy is really doing itself a big disservice," worries one scientist. As shown by conflicts over everything from evolution to stem cells to climate policy, breakdowns in communication between scientists and religious communities cause real problems, especially for scientists trying to educate increasingly religious college students.

Religious groups -- creationist movements in particular -- are not without blame here. Creationist attacks on evolution "have polarized the public opinion such that you're either religious or you're a scientist!" a devout physicist complains. Indeed, the National Science Board recently spiked a report on American knowledge about evolution, claiming that it was too difficult to tell the difference between religious objections to evolution and questions raised about the state of the science.

Only through a genuine dialogue between scientists and the broader public can these divisions be bridged. To her credit, Ecklund avoids editorializing even while encouraging such dialogue. She gives voice to scientists, relaying and synthesizing their experience. Though "Science vs. Religion" is aimed at scientists, her myth-busting and her thoughtful advice can also benefit nonscientists. For Ecklund, the bottom line is recognizing and tolerating religious diversity, honestly discussing science's scope and limits, and openly exploring the disputed borders between scientific skepticism and religious faith

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

there is no separation of science, religion or history they all coincide to prove eachother...not all of it just the stuff that is logical!

and there is alot thats logical the "herd" hasnt been able to put it all together yet! as if your believing that there is one creator of everything most likely your mental out look is kinda weak anyway...as logic says if something exists something else must exist..for there to be a creator there must be a creator of the creator
have a nice day!

laws of the universe...nothing is perfect,every advantage has a disadvantage, everything is infinite! for there to be nothing there has to be somethign and vice versa

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm glad to see this! I'm in a department with many fellow students who are either non-believers or actively against religion. I even got a little hazed at one point because I kept a Bible on my bookshelf. Never said anything about it, just had it there amongst all of my other literature.

I wonder if she has or will go on to study the relationship between religion and level of education. Supposedly it is a directly inverse relationship (more education=less religious).

In my case I have to admit that my religious beliefs have changed because of my continued education. Instead of being 100% Christian like I was my first year of Undergrad, I now ID myself as being more Deist than Christian (maybe like 60-40). There was just a point where something clicked in me and I couldn't just read to try and understand Him, I had to start asking myself "If I was Him, what would it be like?" and start to build a new relationship based on understanding and reasoning, instead of just listening to what others said.

Thanks for posting this!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
A recent book called "The mathematical connection between religion and science" proves the existence of a form of knowledge that is simultaneously religious and scientific.
smphillips.8m.com...
It is an amazing work. You will never regard the debate between religion and science in the same light after studying this book. It is the synthesis of rationalism and intuition.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This kind of opens the door to another fallacy that is most basically put as Religion = Abrahamic religions ( Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). There are many different religions i will not go into what every religion is or what is right or wrong to believe in, but it is common to see non-abrahamic religions reffered to as "cults" or "just a philosophy" because they do not fit the mold of religions based off of the bibles. The whole science versus religion debate is almost always exclusively debated between people of the juedo christian religions and atheists.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
You're right, the real true about them was kept secret from Mankind because God feared betrayal and rebellion against him if the truth about him were known. Did you ever wonder why someone all-powerful and all-knowing was so mistrustful of people in the past? Worse, he feared Europeans, then mostly Romans, would side with Satan if the truth were known.

Not an all-powerful God outside ourselves, but a hidden composite mind of all the left brains in Mankind, joined into one mind. Favoring language because that is what the left brain does best. Therefore favoring a people best with language, Jews. Trusting them to write the Bible.

But his rival, a composite mind of right brains, more the builder than reader, sent a failed artist after his chosen people. Thus the second anti-Christ was Hitler, a failed right brained artist. Out to kill all the Jews. Why? That was God's core mind. His chosen ones.

God not being all powerful, kept the truth from us. And how did he try to combat Satan in designing Mankind's future? He used law, media, and money to control labor, more the right brained people. Sometimes losing control of the people he used, so some became corrupt, lovers of money and petty.
Some minds even became insane. Knowing American died to save them from the Holocaust, but still shipping out their jobs to enrich themselves. Others? Madoff.

So Jews flooded into media, banking, and law without no one noticing the why. Pouring into politics. Some Jews, just a select few, still agreed this knowledge was too dangerous for the public, so they used misinformation, and started an atheist movement to disguise the truth. Even most Jews were not to be trusted with this information.

Little truths were considered to not be acceptable for the public. For instance, many blacks are generally more right brained than left brained. Generally more artistic than able readers. So the crime rates, the social chaos, was predictable for urban cities. Even the anti-Semitic feelings in the black community , which is contrary to what would be expected from a people sharing the civil rights movement together. This too was considered unacceptable public information.

But this secret information came out from someone outside their tight inner circle. Becoming targeted for what he knew. Always from a distance, because they discovered a reference in the Bible to his coming someday, and his book revealing all God's secrets. And it was demanded by God, that whatever was done to him, should be done to those that attack him. Even killing his enemies was approved by God. Because the message was that important to the world in a critical time, just before a possible nuclear war.

So his attackers kept their distance. When he was attacked, it was mostly blacks who were set up to take the blame, because they knew the truth and used it to their advantage.

But Wall Street has bleed industry from the USA. Thrown millions out of work to enrich those who never work with their hands in building anything, ignoring the warnings against such behavior. The Devil being a right brained entity, needs to use his hands in us, or he becomes insane. Idle hands are of the Devil. Thus America is becoming insane as Germany once was driven insane during the depression. Paving the road for the third anti-Christ.

There is a mind above both of them, It is called the Holy Ghost. Where is it?
All around you. The relationships in Space itself weave its mind, as movements in Space in your brain weave your mind.

Jesus is the one core human mind with God's mind with equal power to the whole mind of God.

Now you have the biggest secret in Mankind. But to really know it,

God vs. Satan :Untold Story

www.godmystery.com...

Now you know why God hid for so many years. Why some hid the truth.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Charles Darwin's only formal qualification was in theology.

Sir Isaac Newton wrote more on theology than science.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

I never knew that

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by troubleshooter

I never knew that

During the High Middle Ages, theology was a required subject at universities...
...it was named "The Queen of the Sciences"...
...many material sciences were born from the motivation...
...to understand and/or reverse engineer the work of the Creator.

Many scientists still have this motivation.

It could be argued that scientists who lack this motivation...
...retreat into philosophy like Dawkins in a subconscious search for balance and meaning.

[edit on 25/6/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Science is just guessing, that is all it is.

Tell me how the big bang theory is not both religious an scientific.

Bull the way the people who think they have degrees and that makes them the best guessers, lol.

top topics

join