It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you Help me rediscover the "5th" state of matter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I wanted to see if anyone on this board has any info or recollection of this.

As a child I had lots of children science books. In the back of one of them it had a really interesting tidbit about a 5th state of matter. currently there are up to 6 accepted states of matter
en.wikipedia.org...
However, at the time, i believe, the bose-einstein condesate (#5) wasnt proven or Fermionic condensate (#6) either.
The book stated that this matter would increase in size (not sure if it meant mass or volume) when it absorbed energy. The analogy the book used to help us kids understand it was something along this line->
"When you punch a pillow, you would leave an indentation, making the pillow take up less volume. However, with this new form of matter, if you were to punch it, it would actualy do the opposite, and get bigger".

Unfortunately, I cannot find this book and it has probly been a good 15 years since I have seen/read it. I know for a fact I read this, as when I was in grade school, probly 4-5th grade I pulled it out again specifically to read this part, as I hard an argument with my science teacher

I have done many google searches using many different query terms and I still cannot find anything at all, even a sentence, that talks about this material.

Does ANYONE have any idea what im talking about, or ever hear of this as well? Because now that i think about it, it would make a really good thread here on ATS, and not to mention, from what i understand, it seems a material like this would violate some law of thermodynamics.

ANYONE?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The book stated that this matter would increase in size (not sure if it meant mass or volume) when it absorbed energy.

Believe it or not- water does this. Granted, it's the energy used to cool it- but water expands both when frozen and when heated.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Yes I was aware of waters amazing qualities, however water was not the 5th new type of matter they were talking about!

Damn, i was really hoping someone on here would know what I was talking about! Wish I could find that book again

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

if u use google and type in states of matter you might get a hit.....
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
The book stated that this matter would increase in size (not sure if it meant mass or volume) when it absorbed energy. The analogy the book used to help us kids understand it was something along this line->
"When you punch a pillow, you would leave an indentation, making the pillow take up less volume. However, with this new form of matter, if you were to punch it, it would actualy do the opposite, and get bigger".
Well the one form of matter than can easily get bigger is the superdense core of a neutron star, and I think I remember leaning about that state of matter years ago, could that be it? It has a natural tendency to become larger, because it's only the superstrong gravity that compacts it so much. It's mentioned in the Wiki link you posted.

Originally posted by loner007
if u use google and type in states of matter you might get a hit.....
en.wikipedia.org...
You didn't possibly happen to notice that the link you posted is the same link posted in the OP, did you?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The Wiki article correctly states that Bose and Fermi condensates have been created in the lab.

As to increasing size -- if you take a soccer ball and punch it enough times, due to energy you impart on it, it has to swell in size, doesn't it? And it's not any exotic form of matter.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for the interest!
And no it wasnt talking about the neutron stars.
This was a man made material in the labs!

And thanks for bringing up the point about the wiki ha

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I think you need to check again.......

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by VonDoomen
Well the one form of matter than can easily get bigger is the superdense core of a neutron star, and I think I remember leaning about that state of matter years ago, could that be it? It has a natural tendency to become larger, because it's only the superstrong gravity that compacts it so much. It's mentioned in the Wiki link you posted.

Strange Matter is what you mean Arbitrageur.

Strange Matter
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

new topics

top topics

join