It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimpanzee Gangs Kill for Land, New Study Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Perhaps they really are more like us than often though.

It was known that chimps in the wild sometimes kill each other. Now it has been learned that these killings may be done for land and resources.

Chimpanzee Gangs Kill for Land, New Study Shows

Bands of chimpanzees violently kill individuals from neighboring groups in order to expand their own territory, according to a 10-year study of a chimp community in Uganda that provides the first definitive evidence for this long-suspected function of this behavior.

According to the article a certain area will often be targeted over a period of time. Roving bands of chimps will attack others found in the area. After so many killings the band of chimps "claims" the area.

The scientists caution not to call it "war", but it sounds like war to me.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Or perhaps we are really more like them?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bravo111

Heh - good point. That's actually the way I was thinking it but not the way I wrote it.

If what they say is true that they are the most closely related to humans then maybe the "acorn doesn't fall far from the tree" as the saying goes?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
S+F! Great find original poster. Another step in proving evolution is more real.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I really think it is cool you post this and for that I will S&F.

But it is tragic to know this news is known for 20 years already.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
did the monkeys happen to be "alabama porch monkeys"? i hear they're real territorial.....

on a side note, squids have been known to act like backwoods rednecks..... en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 6/23/10 by I.C. Weiner]

top topics

join