It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The suspension of all beliefs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if we all suspended our beliefs in absolutely everything? To allow our mind to believe in nothing what so ever. This would mean dropping everything you hold as your truth from your self, your solid reality to what you hold as your God and ultimate denstiny.

Is this even possible for the human mind to achieve? We would have to totally accept we hold no beliefs and only then would we see what the outcome of such an experience would bring. This would not mean we believe in nothing, it would simply mean we would suspend all beliefs we hold, even for just a few moments. We would then be able to observe what actually was rather than what we believe it to be maybe?

I wonder what would fill our being if we were able to suspend all beliefs? Would maybe all dimensions be shown to us at once, all of creations possibilities shown to us simultaniously due to the fact we have suspended all projected beliefs? Would we be able to just observe creations potentials taking form?

Maybe the experience would be just too much for the human mind to take? To be silent in an atmosphere of no projected beliefs may cause it to just stop believing in itself? It may then be imposible to return to a state of belief?

Perhaps that is too extreme an environment for the mind but it does make you think what would happen.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Mr Green]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

If I believe I hold no beliefs is that a belief?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Very good question.

The tough ones are the deep-down subconscious beliefs that have been conditioned in us over the entire period of our lifetime.

You would really have to do some soul searching to free yourself of these beliefs.

Meditation helps to get you in a state of non-thought and you experience the world for what it is with out your brain imposing beliefs on every situation. I enjoy this type of life much better than judging and calculating every situation based on what others have told me.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos
reply to post by Mr Green

If I believe I hold no beliefs is that a belief?

Yes I would see that as a belief so in this situation you would have to drop that also as a belief. You would have to suspend all beliefs, including the belief that you have no beliefs. I realize its a difficult concept which is why I ask is it even possible for the human mind? Does the human mind have to believe to exist I wonder?

Its just a thought I had, what would happen if I suspended all beliefs that I had acquired up to this moment in time. Absolutely everything from form, reality, other life forms, God and the Universe. What would I see/become if I totally accepted I held no beliefs about anything? To totally suspend my belief in my projected reality ( that being all that I believe to be, manifested and unmanifested).

So yes to answer your question, I think you would have to drop the belief that you have no beliefs, because as soon as you tell yourself that, it has become a belief. By thinking that belief you may alter what you experience when you entered an altered state with only the one belief that you had no beliefs.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Mr Green]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Would you still even be there? Part of your beliefs are that you exist, so if you suspended all belief?
It's like trying to imagine "nothing". As soon as you do it is something.
Maybe it would be total oneness.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by xizd1
Would you still even be there? Part of your beliefs are that you exist, so if you suspended all belief?
It's like trying to imagine "nothing". As soon as you do it is something.
Maybe it would be total oneness.

I wouldnt be imagining nothing, because then I would have to believe in "nothing" as a concept. You would still be you as in your awarness but entering a meditative state suspending all your beliefs. You would possible be able to do this as simply being aware that you are (rather than believing that you are) . That way you might become aware of what is reality rather than what you believe reality to be.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Is there any difference in reality and what I believe reality to be? If I were to cease to exist, would reality also cease? Does reality exist without my participation?
Hello Mr. Green!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I've achieved this state through meditation, but not without challenges and difficulties.

The ego is very frightened to let go of everything, because it dies in the process, so it will fight to oppose such a process of letting go.

When one does finally release all beliefs and embrace the nothing/everything with a blank slate, the result is extraordinary.

You will see what has been in front of you all along, that we all have been conditioned to ignore from a very early age. Most who have seen it describe it as 'The Matrix,' which pretty much is what it is. We live not in a 3D world, but in an infinite multi-dimensional reality, where our every thought is broadcast into the field of Creation. Unbeknownst to so many, we walk around each day programming the Matrix unconsciously, adding dimensional grid overlays to the world we perceive through our senses.

If everyone could know this at a conscious level, then we would stop feeding the fear machine with negative thoughts, and our world would be transformed in an instant.

Embrace the nothing.

Be still.

Let go.

Open up.

Love and peace to all,

Namaste.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
You might be able to convince your conscious self that you've suspended your beliefs, but the full context of each burst of generated intellect would still include all the established beliefs that have become the extent of your established identity to date. Since intellect is primarily about contextual identity, you really can't ever eliminate established beliefs from inclusion. Just not possible. Beliefs are too much a principle aspect of the unique identity.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I try to suspend beliefs all the time and just observe, but the keyword there is try. I dont come to conclusions about whether conspiracies are real because you can never know. I believe very little but will always consider any possibility. Psychedelics as well as astral experiences have caused me to not fully believe in any particular reality actually. Lets just say I have had some experiences where my ego never fully came back.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by CREAM]

[edit on 23-6-2010 by CREAM]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
psychedelics have lead me to this conclusion,
ultimately to nonduality, everything 'you' 'think' is a belief, the only truth is that oneness includes the happening of beliefs

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SciChosis
ultimately to nonduality, everything 'you' 'think' is a belief, the only truth is that oneness includes the happening of beliefs

Can you rephrase this ^ so that I understand what it means? I don't know what "oneness" means and I don't know what "happening of beliefs" means.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by xizd1
Is there any difference in reality and what I believe reality to be? If I were to cease to exist, would reality also cease? Does reality exist without my participation?
Hello Mr. Green!

Good questions. When I read them I thought maybe I have entered into a thread that is beyond me as I simply do not know the answers to these questions.

I simply dont know , but I can see how there could be a difference in what we take as our real reality compared to what it might actually be. Thats why I had the initial thought that maybe if I suspended all my beliefs I might get some answers to the very questions you have now asked me.

What are my beliefs anyway? Very little of them are what I have seen for myself, the majority of my beliefs are handed down from others that I have never questioned and just blindly accepted. Its as if Im believing someone elses beliefs, if that makes sense. So really whos beliefs would I be suspending anyway?

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Mr Green]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by SciChosis

Can you rephrase this ^ so that I understand what it means? I don't know what "oneness" means and I don't know what "happening of beliefs" means.

Thanks.

Oneness is simply all that is, by the happening of beliefs I mean, the beliefs are thoughts, and thoughts happen, there is no-one experiencing the thoughts, they just happen, there is no-one to experience sounds, sounds happen, it isnt sound until your brain turns frequencies into sound, but when that is done so, the sound is not 'heard' by someone afterwards,

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
there is noone experiencing the thoughts, aside from the false notion 'i' just experience that thought, which is itself simply another thought, that happened

otherwise it would require a second 'you' to be aware of the 'content' of the first, and a subsequently a third 'you' to further be aware of the content of the second, ad infinitum,
this is therefore not the case
the thinker IS the thought, the seer is the seen, the hearer is the heard and the doer is the done

as in monarch programming, the victim is exposed to horrific ordeals to force the creation of a secondary 'persona' within the mind, this is a repeat of what happens upon birth, when the first is mistakenly created

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
You can approximate a state of no beliefs by deciding that all your beliefs are provisional beliefs. That is, you believe a bunch of stuff (water is wet, the sky is blue, etc. etc.), but you also acknowledge that you might be wrong (it once seemed common sense that the earth was flat), and you willingly embrace the fact that you might have to change your mind about any given topic if new information presents itself.

The goal is not to have "nothingness" in your head but rather to have an open, adaptable, and flexible mind that changes fluidly and rapidly in line with a ceaselessly changing cosmos.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
How can you even be consciously active without having some kind of belief system regardless of what it is.
This seems quantum in nature where by thinking about something you change its outcome or by viewing something you likewise change its outcome.

Only when a measurement is performed by an observer, the system "collapses" into one of the states -- which is the state seen by the observer.

If you don’t have a belief then you do not act you do not function. Because every action that happens your conscious mind perceives in on form or another. This perception seems to me to be a form of belief otherwise you are just living in denial.

Denial is as close to a lack of belief as you can get but even that’s faulty as hell.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
How can you even be consciously active without having some kind of belief system regardless of what it is.
This seems quantum in nature where by thinking about something you change its outcome or by viewing something you likewise change its outcome.

Only when a measurement is performed by an observer, the system "collapses" into one of the states -- which is the state seen by the observer.

If you don’t have a belief then you do not act you do not function. Because every action that happens your conscious mind perceives in on form or another. This perception seems to me to be a form of belief otherwise you are just living in denial.

Denial is as close to a lack of belief as you can get but even that’s faulty as hell.

you are mistaking consciousness for thoughts, i don't have to be thinking words to do or experience something,
explain to me what 'you' do in order for you to move your hands, you can't, there's no neccessity for words, they're just a system overlaid by us to convey a very limited amount of information about our surroundings

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by UrbanShaman

I'd say: don't DESTROY your ego. TRANSFORM your true (higher) self into your ego.
This is basically letting go of your programming. That's what you're actually letting go of.

As for all the ego talk.. I think we should push it aside, let go of all the prejudices, and focus on the facts. It's like pushing emotions aside a little.

Many of us (myself included, sometimes) get stuck in these loops, balling with the same ideas, same terms.. we should move on and let go.

Love and freedom, that's all we need. And to stay true.

If everyone could know this at a conscious level, then we would stop feeding the fear machine with negative thoughts, and our world would be transformed in an instant.

YEAH!

[edit on 24/6/2010 by Tryptych]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SciChosis

I know what you are saying, I mean that in order to not be a jellyfish in a catatonic stae you have to have a form of belief.

You may be alive, and functioning on a base level sure, but what Im getting at is broader.
If you want to eat, what do you do?
Do you think food into existence or do you have to look for it?
If you have to search for it then you are expecting it to be in a certain place.

If that’s the case then it is your contention that you will find it most probably in that location.
This is a belief system. It may be completely empirical, but it is based on a perception that you have arrived at none the less.

The same scenario can be applied to anything else that has nothing to do specifically with primary motor skills.

Where hands are concerned I do expect that they will move on their own, a behavior pattern derived from my years of life leads me to “believe” that they will function accordingly.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join