It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House accused of trying to help Aust' P.M. Howard win next election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   
"The Labor Party's federal president, Carmen Lawrence, has accused the United States administration of trying to help Prime Minister John Howard win another term."
www.abc.net.au...

"I think the President was speaking candidly, he didn't intend to insert himself into your campaign," Mr Powell said in an exclusive interview with ABC TV's Insiders program."
Transcript of Powell interview...
www.abc.net.au...
Sanc'.

[edit on 13-6-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I knew this would happen.

Everybody is all up in everybody elses business on an unprecedented world level.

Seen Putin's comments on America's democrats? www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Politicians speaking candidly? The end really is nigh.

There's no doubt the Republicans and Liberals
are mutual beneficiaries of the other's policies, but I really couldn't imagine Johnny Howard commenting in any way on John Kerry and whatever policies the Democrats have in store. Perhaps that says as much about the state of American politics as it does about the United States' position of dominance in the world.

I'm not really fussed by it yet, but it's a dangerous precedent and doesn't bode well in the likelihood that the Liberals win another term.

How many states do the US lay claim to these days? Consider Australia another of them.

[edit on 13/6/04 by Grimnebulin]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Meh what a load of crap. Or maybe not.

But what Mark Latham is doing is attention seeking. He isn't going to win the election. He is the opposition to John Howard. The elections are coming soon. He's just going opposite to what John Howard is doing.

John Howard wants to keep the some 300 Aussie troops in Iraq. Mark Latham wants to bring them home. Mark Latham's a soft cock who says Australia has now made ourselves an even bigger terrorist target by being involved in Iraq. Johnies not a soft cock and wants to deal with terrorism and help out our allies.

Anyways it would be in the White Houses best interests have John Howard win th next election so it could very well be true. Coz Mark Latham isn't so cooperative like Howard is.

It's like John Howard does something, and whatever it is, Mark Latham is against it and wants to do the opposite, simply because they are the 2 opposing parties, battling it out in the elections, for one of the parties leaders to become PM.

See in Australia we only basically have 2 Major parties who have any chance of winning the election.

Labour or Liberal

[edit on 13-6-2004 by DaRAGE]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

John Howard wants to keep the some 300 Aussie troops in Iraq. Mark Latham wants to bring them home. Mark Latham's a soft cock who says Australia has now made ourselves an even bigger terrorist target by being involved in Iraq. Johnies not a soft cock and wants to deal with terrorism and help out our allies.

Everything Mark Latham has done lately has been populist, but that's the reality of the situation. And I happen to agree with the general principle behind Latham's proposed policies. Even if, by necessity, they don't go far enough.

Iraq has nothing to do with terrorism. John Howard's unstinting devotion to the alliance with the US has more to do with free trade than it does with fighting terrorism. Any genuine prosecution of terrorists will not be compromised if Labor wins the election (which I doubt).

It certainly has nothing to do with the relative turgidity of the contents of their pants.

[edit on 13/6/04 by Grimnebulin]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Anyways it would be in the White Houses best interests have John Howard win th next election so it could very well be true. Coz Mark Latham isn't so cooperative like Howard is.

Most definitely. Bush is not about to let another SPAIN slip through his fingers.

The coalition of the willing has become the coalition of the running for re-election.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It has nothing to do with free trade. Havn't you heard we have a free trade agreement atm? We've constantly had good relations with the US. It has nothing to do with trade though.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Well, DaRAGE, I disagree.

Everything has to do with everything now. Remember Bush's threats to the world? "You're either with us or against us."

If you want to share in the spoils of war, and reap the benefits of rebuilding Iraq then you've got to get in line. And it does go beyond Iraq, as I'm sure Spain will soon learn.

I don't know what a second term Bush might have planned for Spain, but it isn't top tier partner status.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   

It has nothing to do with free trade. Havn't you heard we have a free trade agreement atm? We've constantly had good relations with the US. It has nothing to do with trade though.

The free trade agreement hasn't been implemented yet. But the Liberal party will do whatever the United States says for the sake of access to the biggest economy on the planet. The Liberals would gladly sell out Australia's sovereignty for American private interests. Labor won't...at least not totally. An unfettered FTA is not in Labor's best interests. There are real differences between the parties, electoral opportunism aside.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
DaRage, the U.S./Aust', Free Trade Agreement has NOT been ratified yet.
"US Congress to consider the agreement by July."
www.dfat.gov.au...
www.fas.usda.gov...
Sanc'.

[edit on 13-6-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Regarding the U.S./Aust F.T.A.
Federal Trade Minister Mark Vaile has warned there is no room for negotiation as Australia and the United States consider whether to approve their proposed free trade agreement.

The deal is expected to go to a vote of the US Congress within four weeks.
www.abc.net.au...
Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
�Chirac was campaigning for Kerry����. An unwarranted intrusion into USA election process��.. Proof of the treasonous nature of the Democrats and their hate for America

�Putin calls out America's Dems���� A wise and truthful man�s expression of his constitutional right to free speech ��� Unsolicited but welcomed support from a foreign leader proving how well Republicans are seen in the world and an endorsement of their International policy initiatives.

�White House accused of trying to help Aust' P.M. Howard win next election���..What�s your problem?

Hey RANT what the hells your problem friend?

Have you yet to adjust the two standards of measurement:

1. The King�s Measure i.e. His Presidency�s
2. The Little People�s Left-overs

Life has always been that way since the beginning of time � except for a brief time in history ��..

An anomaly, a wrinkle in the continuum of time, a paradox of reality, if you might���.

What they taught in 5th grade history!!!!!!!!! ���������FICTION!

There are two problems within this development confronting His Presidency:

Firstly, with few friends left in the world, (namely Australia Great Britton) to loose the support of any before the impending Presidential elections would be embarrassing and an unwanted distraction away from the PR myth campaign now in the works;

Secondly, if the government of Australia does change hands, its people have to fully understand they are a protectorate of the United States. And if they do not understand or resist understanding of their lot in the world we will then set the CIA on their butts to change the government as he are doing����as we speak��.in Venezuela.

It�s just a matter of time before His Presidency has offended every country in the world�.who the hell needs friends anyway?

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
You continue to confuse me gmcnulty which is particularly distressing because I think I agree with you.

Q: If we both continue to argue points from the perspective of the sarcastic, do we then cancel each other out and confuse everyone else?

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I got the sardonic gene with strong satirical propensities ....................It's genetic ���

You�re complaining?

You have it easy. A few posts a day if that��..

And FOR ME!

Its 24/7����. cut me a break.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
b]Further, re: Aust/U.S. Free Trade Agreement
FTA bills pass first hurdle
June 24, 2004
A FREE trade deal between Australia and the US passed its first hurdle towards parliamentary approval tonight.
Labor voted with the Government to pass the Australia-US Free Trade Agreement bills in the House of Representatives but the legislation now moves to the Senate, where it will face a much tougher passage.

I found this interesting,
"In a interim report, tabled today, the special Senate committee said there was a range of areas covering copyright that Australia may have surrendered to the US as part of the trade deal.
It also raised concerns that the deal did not include a most favoured nation clause, thus possibly denying Australia benefits that might come to the US from other trade deals it signs."
news.com.au...
www.abc.net.au...
*COUGHrip-offCOUGH*
Sorry, i've got the flu
Sanc'.

top topics

join