It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Special "TOP HAT" Cover on Top of the BOP has Apparently Blown Off!

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I just wanted to add one more thing as a sort of OT side note - Looped or not, I find it extremely fascinating that we have the technology to watch some of what is going on down there. It reminds of marveling at the Mars Rover footage. I am really having a hard time watching anything but these feeds - I am afraid I might miss something.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Moriarty

Hi Moriarty.

Agreed: it seems inevitable that if the well is damaged "down hole" various debris will be forced upwards and some may cause temporary partial blockages. In fact, it would take a smallish chunk of steel to cause serious damage to the LMRP cap, as the velocities involved are quite high.

Actually I offered my opinion in a post a couple of days back that perhaps the LMRP cap was removed because a piece of debris had clogged one of its outlets. This would have to be an ongoing concern for the engineers there and I've been wondering how quickly they could remove that cap and fit a replacement if it's badly damaged.

And like you say, they really don't want blockages inside the BOP for precisely the reason of erosion round the base that you've mentioned.

Update on the BOP and its tilt: the Skandi ROV1 has now gone off somewhere but until it did (some minutes ago) I was observing it and checking the BOP's tilt against what I observed about 11 hours ago. I could not see any difference in the amount of tilt and measuring it as best I could with a protractor, I'd put it as around 11 to maybe 12 degrees off vertical.

Skandi ROV 2 is now showing the outflow but is seems to be positioned so that the tilt is away from us and unobservable. If I wanted to be cynical I'd say that image is for public consumption.

Members, it is around this time of night that the ROVs sometimes are used to check the lower end of the BOP. I have seen them doing this at around 5 am Gulf time. It's now just coming up to 4 am there. If you notice an ROV showing feed from the lower part of the BOP where it bolts to the well head, please watch it closely and also get screen shots or video if you can.

Thank you,

Mike

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Well morning all, the professor is back and I have something which completely baffles me. You wanted what was at the bottom of the BOP, here you go. One of the BOA ROVs went off exploring as these rovs tend to do and look what we have here.

I've been watching the feeds almost from the beginning of this whole thing and I have never seen these before. I counted at least 5 rows of these things and can't even guess how many there total.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Moriarty]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Have you noticed that the depth on the green screen shots above, is only 1500 (ft)?

Where in relation to the leak is this stuff situated?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ckitch

Those numbers here in meters. 4,979 feet roughly

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

I have to say it, that looks like explosive mats wired together. Not that I've ever seen such a thing but that's the first thing that came to me.

Although the "T" handle could be affecting me subliminally into thinking it's a detonator.

link   
Hi Moriarty,

Ah, meters. ok, so thats what confused me, cos skandi rov 2 shows depth in feet...4932. So are your screen shots taken from the base of the leak?

1538 meters x 3.5 = 5264ft
Skandi rov 2 = 4932 ft.

link   

Originally posted by Moriarty
Well morning all, the professor is back and I have something which completely baffles me. You wanted what was at the bottom of the BOP, here you go. One of the BOA ROVs went off exploring as these rovs tend to do and look what we have here.

I've been watching the feeds almost from the beginning of this whole thing and I have never seen these before. I counted at least 5 rows of these things and can't even guess how many there total.

Gold bars from Ft Knox? Pounds of "Yellow Cake"? I don't know but it is a very interesting development. Nice find.

What is that handle looking thing at the bottom of the photo? I that part of the Rov? Looks kinda like a detonation handle.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

I have to say it, that looks like explosive mats wired together. Not that I've ever seen such a thing but that's the first thing that came to me.

Although the "T" handle could be affecting me subliminally into thinking it's a detonator.

That was the first thing I thought as well so you are not alone. These objects are new to me. Its also interesting to note that the water in the area of the Bop has become increasingly cloudy and murky.

If those are gold bars, remember I found them first so I claim them

Everyone knows I've been watching these bots go all over the bottom, this is the first time I have seen this. There has to be hundreds of these objects down there.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
What do you think they are trying to do? and what are those blocks you show?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   

W.T.F.?

I'm not even sure I want to know.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The handle looking thing is just the top of a tool that is part of the ROV. When you watch the feeds for any length of time, you will see them taking these things out and putting them back in.

Now as for the stuff in the screenshots, my first thought was that it was C4. Let's hope that it isn't explosives, 'cause as most of us know and agree, that would NOT be a good thing.

Edited because one of my sentences made NO sense at all.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Ceriddwen]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Are they some kind of cushioning device, in case of explosion? Or am I mad to think that. How big are these things anyway?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Gold Bars from Ft. Knox - that made me laugh.

This is pretty sinister looking but it also looks like it could be some kind of weight system. Someone said they were installing new risers so maybe it has something to do with that. I have seen so many things in the last few hours that I have never seen before so they are definitely working on something new.

Why? Why? Why? can't they have someone explaining all of this? It wouldn't even have to be someone from BP - somebody makes all that equipment. They could easily explain why you might use something like that.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

They look like lead weights. Ingots of lead, all linked together.

And I concur that this ROV has its depth indicator set to metres rather than feet. It's a European-based ship (home port Santa Cruz, Spain) and is managed by Taubåtkompaniet AS (Trondheim, Norway), and so having a metre gauge makes sense as that's what the crew would be used to.

Sources for ship info and managing company info.

Mike

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ckitch

Really hard to guess but if I had to guesstimate i would say easily 2.0-3.5 feet square

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

CP-Mat? Cathodic Protection Mattress for Pipelines.

I think we have our answer.....from the page, CP-Mat will work anywhere that a steel or reinforced concrete structure has to be stabilized in a submerged situation.... I wonder what they are trying to stabilize

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

By Jove I think you've got it! Cathodic protection makes perfect sense and the configuration is right.

Nice find!

EDIT: one of the key points is that these mats can be

deployed as a primary retrofit for a damaged pipeline.
(Quoted from the above-linked page on CP mats.)

[edit on 26/6/10 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by Divinorumus

By Jove I think you've got it! Cathodic protection makes perfect sense and the configuration is right.

Nice find!

Guess that proves our ideas on the bop's tilting, its obvious they are now very concerned about the structure's stability if they're putting these mats down now. Like I said, I have never seen them before down there.

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join