It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Special "TOP HAT" Cover on Top of the BOP has Apparently Blown Off!

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
When they first put this cap on weeks ago, how long did it take...was anyone watching ? This could go on for hours I gather.....? It seems to buoy up all the time

link   

link   

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
you would think especially in Louisiana that people would learn from the past about drilling disasters

drilling disaster from years ago

past always repeats itself, course the stuff going now is more deadly

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsup

You're right: it could well be a collision that upset things in some way and precipitated further damage inside that top hat (and perhaps to the already damaged pipe).

The thought of that captain shooting himself because of this is just plain awful. Lord I wish we could swear on here sometimes, you all know what I mean? That man was so stressed from all this that he killed himself because of an accident? Oh, Lord...

Imagine trying to guide an ROV at the end of an "umbilical cord" 5000 feet down... knowing that if you damage that already fragile, failed BOP it could make things many times worse.

Think of the pressure these people are working under.

Right now they're having another try at replacing the "Top Hat" on that damaged pipe. It must be hearts-in-mouths work, trying to do this.

I wonder what Tony "I-want-my-life-back" Hayward is doing right now? Last weekend he was out enjoying the sun on his yacht...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
looks like they gave up for now... going to plan B

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Thanks JM, I was hoping someone would actually read my theory and comment on it, because I was hoping that I was wrong. However, that damage to the riser top looks very new and I am really cannot see how they are going to get any seal whatsover on that thing. I also feel terrible about this captain, and I cannot imagine the pressure that the guys on the front line are under that are trying rectify this horrific situation.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by whatsup]

link   
reply to post by kno22

They're live feeds and the ROVs do get moved around. But on page two of this thread I posted some video of the leak with no "Top Hat" on it, that I uploaded here on ATS. Just go to page 2 and you'll find it.

Mike

link   
reply to post by djexploit

I'm glad I'm not the only twisted mind on here. I was thinking trying to put one on while takin a major whiz...

Edit: no one has to say this isn't funny. But to me, humor in times like these is like whistling in the graveyard at night when you hear footsteps....

I'm on the edge of my seat for the last 1.5 hrs waiting for them to get that thing on. It is too suspenseful. The only thing is, if they succeed, then what? We're down to 75,000 bbl/day instead of 100,000?

[edit on 23-6-2010 by 1SawSomeThings]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

Thank you, you actually read the reply! I am tired of answering this question over and over. You are my new favorite human being. You rock!! I promise to read every post you put forward from this point forward. For all those who are simply posting without reading the original thread, I know this is a long thread, but 99.5% of all your questions have already been answered, likely close to the begining of the thread. Please slow down, read what everyone else has posted today, and reply to the newer posts that are in fact "new". It will cut through the ATS bureaucracy and keep the facts simple and straight to where people don't have to repeat themselves and new facts and figures can actually be divulged and seperated from the information clutter that is occuring.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen
Why can't they pull the slack on those hoses that are causing so much trouble right now, from the ship? Why do we keep making the ROV pick them up, just to have them blown right off again on the attempts?

Seems silly to me.

Unless they know they can't get a seal and are doing this to appease us.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Sorry my quote did not work as planned here.
We are talking a very thick cable of a mile long being operated from a ship bobbing in the waves.
Take into account the currents at a mile deep and you got yourself a real boondoogle.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
We are talking a very thick cable of a mile long being operated from a ship bobbing in the waves.
Take into account the currents at a mile deep and you got yourself a real boondoogle.

I understand that, but, surely it would be quicker and easier to pull the slack than to do what they are currently doing, wouldn't it?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen

Originally posted by Iwinder

I understand that, but, surely it would be quicker and easier to pull the slack than to do what they are currently doing, wouldn't it?

I do not think that fast is possible here, as in just take up the slack.
To be honest I think if they are doing it this way then things are much tougher than we have been informed of.
Either that or they are just playing for the cameras?
Regards,
Iwinder

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I must say I have been following this thread from the beginning and I have noticed that the posters on here have ben doing a great job keeping this on topic without alot of bickering back and forth all the while helping each other out with great links. I have seen alot of threads that just get run amuck with BS. Not this one and I must say thanks. Watching this really makes me wonder if they have another idea if they cannot get this tophat back on. Has anyone read or heard of anything that they may try if they cannot get this back on. I do not want to think about a plan b but it may be the only way to go.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsup

Yes, and the trouble is, even if the people working on this manage to get that top hat back on without giving the BOP a heavy clout, and even if it more-or-less sits like it should, what's to stop it clogging up again or having another technical problem? If that happens then they'll have to pull it off again, and they can only do that if the waters are calm enough to keep the ship steady (and that 5000 feet of cable right where they want it).

Even strong winds on the surface would make this task far more complex than it already is, and as for hurricanes -- I can't even imagine how they'd get this done. Well, the simple fact is they couldn't as they have to take shelter from the storm.

Let's hope it stays calm around there for as long as it can.

Well it's 1:20 am here so I'm off to get some shut eye. Thank you all who've contributed to this thread. Doesn't even matter if we all agree or not. This is ATS and we're always agreeing to disagree. Sometimes criticism is what keeps us sharp and I thank the ones who've offered it where they thought it was needed. Your civility and amazing input (on all these many threads in this ongoing disaster) has been very humbling, because it helps to remind me just how little I know.

I'm praying that nothing else goes wrong today. My heart goes out to the victims' families. Thirteen already, and that's thirteen too many. Lord I hope that there aren't any more.

Goodnight, all.

Mike

[edit on 23/6/10 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Did anybody catch the CNN story today? It way down in the article there, that two people had been killed!!

You Got TO BE KIDDING ME!!

One with a gunshot wound!! One in a "Swimming Accident"

just a summary mention, I wonder what they saw? Why were they killed?

That is just freaky.

"Meanwhile two people involved in the oil disaster response were reported to have died in Alabama, Allen said.

According to the Baldwin County Coroners office, William Allen Kruse, a boat captain working on clean up, died of a gunshot wound. The other death was described by Allen as a swimming accident.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to their families," Allen said. "We know this is a devastating thing to happen."

Story Link

Sorry if you saw this before, But I want to make sure people catch it. If that's a no no here, please let me know. Not meaning to tick anyone off

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Looks like it's back on, but shaking around like crazy?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
looks like it's on. Good, I can go to bed now, got to be up in 6.5 hrs. What is it about these live feeds, I'm like a zombie

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Top hat is back on now. Looks like it's sitting on there ok, but there is still a LOT of oil coming out the bottom of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join