It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Special "TOP HAT" Cover on Top of the BOP has Apparently Blown Off!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
Damn, that does not look good at all. There is no way your gonna get me to believe that one of those rovers would have enough power to damage the TopHat if it "bumped" into it, that equipments ment to take abuse. As for the pipe? What the (bleep) happened to it? Looks like it's been wore down.

The official story is

When the robot bumped the system, gas rose through the vent that carries warm water down to prevent ice-like crystals from forming in the cap, Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said.

The cap was removed and crews were checking to see if crystals had formed before putting it back on. Allen did not say how long that might take.

from www.foxnews.com...

So in this version, nothing was damaged by the bump itself - they just decided to release at least an extra 700,000 gallons a day to check whether some crystals had formed.

The pipe sure looks worn down - since they had to cut a piece of the pipe earlier this month to place the new cap, the force of all the slush coming through could be even stronger than normal..

Wonder how long this will take.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by scraze]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

could they still put the relief wells in though if this pipe goes on to disintegrate ?

Earlier images I saw of this pipe showed the pipe in tact , ie no gashes like we see now. Think about it anyway- the cap was on top earlier before it got taken off, it would not have fit on there with the irregular shape it is now ?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

A methane bubble.. Their is serious speculation that BP knows about it as well.

I know people on the coast of florida that are rich getting tickets and flying out...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brandyfro
reply to post by Cito

Are you sure your screen name isn't 'Citgo"? Who sent you here to knock us all off track? It isn't working. Since when does BP hire 18 year olds to monitor websites and spread disinfo? Oh yeah it appears they have been doing it all along.........

So as soon as someone comes onto a thread, where pretty much everyone has made up there mind on something, and has a different view they are disinfo agents? to me it seams that people on this and other similar threads are rightly upset at the situation, but are over reacting to everything that just happens to be a different colour. I know this will probably be down to people who are not familiar with using under water equipment jumping to conclusions.
I know ill probably get shot down for defending Cito but I think in this case it is justified.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by letscit

Right, that's what I was saying. You have this "TopHat" setting all nice nice on this huge gusher of oil, not moving and one of these Rovers are supposed to of "bumped" it and damaged it? I seriously doubt it.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
FYI, it seriously is looking like magma. If anything, sulfur is definably there.

Hydrogen sulfide is a sure sign that the oil is close to ignition from a magma movement nearing closer and closer to the oil well. Once that meets, BOOM!

www.msnbc.msn.com...

link   
there is no way it can be lava as if you google the billions of lava underwater the tip turns black as it flows and it wouldn't sit on a pipe unmoving

so yea not lava not sure how much iron in that pipe looks ripped exposing it's center

now since the outside and inside of pipe is protected or treated whatever ok, but the middle isn't not the middle rupture is now exposed to salt water plus the chemicals coming out, it's oxidation plus the fluorescent lights are just lighting it up

link   

Originally posted by Cito
people have got to stop sensationalizing these damn threads, they look like fools like the media and makes the entire thread suspect

Are you a BP shill?

One fact that you can check with your own eyes is that there are two different flows coming out of that riser! The darker flow, and that brighter orange flow. This means they are not being fed by the same source. THAT right there should tell that the whole integrity of that well is shot to hell. It means that there is a fracture or fractures somewhere, with oil coming out one pipe, and something entirely different coming out the other. And the flow is obviously increasing, which means something is eroding down below. And off a distance from the BOP there's acres of what has to be some kind of gas, methane I suspect, sweeping up from the sediment on the ground all over the place. I have 4 hours of it recorded from last night. Something is seriously getting worse day by day down below, and that should be sensationalized, because it means something really bad is getting ready to bust loose down there. It's not getting better, it's getting WORSE. Really worse. There wasn't two different colored flows when they first cut pipe off.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

link   
reply to post by Bicent76

yeah I know about the methane bubble possibility, I was the one who started the thread on it after reading Richard Hoagland's FB post one morning. Have looked into it alot but without finite proof I just don't know...I can see the real possibilityand know about the high methane content coming out but don't know what to think. You would imagine BP would vacate the area if they thought one was going to blow, but they haven't (yet)

link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie

I've never come across any mention of the sea floor DROPPING in any article about this disaster, only speculation that it might rise and cause a tsunami. What the heck does the sea floor DROPPING mean ?

Actually, a few weeks ago when the sea floor collapsed around the riser, before the pipe was cut, the sea floor did drop a lot. now, with all of the activity, it has leveled out more.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

people have got to stop sensationalizing these damn threads, they look like fools like the media and makes the entire thread suspect

Are you a BP shill?

dude you work for Fox?

[edit on 6/23/2010 by Cito]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not the same used but this one weigh 12.000kg so they get pretty heavy.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Skandi ROV2 -

Note the orange color is far more even across the plume now.. That is a recent change - like within the past 20 minutes.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

their estimating 2 months, after that, posibility is real high..

your like me I am searching for facts..

but the sea floor is dropping.

link   
yea watching
www.searchlawrence.com...

you can see the center pipe that isn't protected like center and outside of pipe has oxidized big time and is reflected from the fluorescent lights

link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by James R. Hawkwood

Actually there have been articles which suggest that both the pressure on such think steel, AND the issue of granules wearing away the metal are BOTH very real concerns.

Mmmmhmmm

As you can see, the life feeds from before the cap was put onto the hole, the rim was more intact then what we see now. Bits HAVE broken off confirming others and mine suspision that the Heating/Cooling cycli has made the rim brittle bit by bit and oil pressure just erodes the top away slowly but steadily.

I wouldnt be surprised that in the coming months, that entire section (The section that has been bolted to another well section below) will be totaly gone due to this effect.

What BP can do is to ensure that either the insides of the pipes are cooled or that the outsides of the pipes are getting wrapped up in isolators to minimise the difference in temperatures to ensure structural integrety untill the relief wells have been drilled.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think what others have said regarding the imminent collapse of the borehole due to erosion is correct. Once the borehole collapses there will be no stopping the spill until perhaps August when the relief wells are finished.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

yea watching
www.searchlawrence.com...

you can see the center pipe that isn't protected like center and outside of pipe has oxidized big time and is reflected from the fluorescent lights

This would support my previous posting about the discoloration of the paint on this pipe being due to heat. I didn't notice the oxidation until you pointed it out. That pretty much solidifies the theory.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by James R. Hawkwood

What BP can do is to ensure that either the insides of the pipes are cooled or that the outsides of the pipes are getting wrapped up in isolators...

There is NO way to cool the inside of that pipe. The pressures are too great - it would simply devour whatever they tried, much like the top-kill.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I'm sure they can still do the relief well. The issue I see with that, is they are talking late AUGUST before they are operational. Why they weren't there in the first place is beyond me. Cutting corners is what corporations do best.

And lets be honest, many many many things can happen between now and late August. If that pipe is eroding now, I'm sure that another few weeks and that thing will be gone. The flow is large now, it will get massive. That is of course if we don't have a methane bubble cook off the entire gulf.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join