It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Special "TOP HAT" Cover on Top of the BOP has Apparently Blown Off!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'd like to ask members if they can view any available ROV feeds to confirm that the cover on top of the BOP -- that was helping to "capture" oil and gas -- has blown off.

If was the "top hat" object with four metal "fins". In the past hour I saw it was "jumping" as if it was coming loose, but it was hard to tell if this was so because the pictures were not holding steady enough.

I just checked again and now there's just an open, broken pipe with everything gushing straight up!

Here's the link to Skandi ROV II which is currently streaming live feed from this.

Could someone please capture some of this video? Could other members please confirm my observations?

Thank you.

Mike

EDIT: I've posted some video on Page 2 of this thread but if someone can make a better one, please do.

[edit on 23/6/10 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
looks like the robots are removing broken scaffolding or something, plus where the oil is coming out, that looks different. Im looking for past pictures to see, but yeah, looks like something is happening.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I was watching an hour ago, saw nothing, and no good camera angles, tabbed back over just now and thought WTF is this?! I didn't see it 'blow off', but its not attached, and that # looks bright.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by djexploit]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I haven't been watching today, just checked now and the top hat is definately gone.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a4840fdbcfe.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Yes it does look like the BOP has gone bye bye....

Let's Stay on top of this and I'll try to capture some vids and stills

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Like I said I was watching this about an hour ago and that whitish cover with the four rocket-like fins on was sort of jumping up and down. It's go up a bit and a huge whoosh of oil came out around it, then it settled again, then a few seconds later, the same again.

Then -- Murphy's law -- I went to lunch and when I checked back, that cover was simply gone. What we are looking at now is the top of the BOP, but now with more pipe broken off (notice how a big chunk is gone on one side), and with no "Top Hat" to aid in capturing oil/gas/hydrates.

Could someone please try to capture some video? I bet the MSM don't even know about this yet.

Mike

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
They removed it temporarily to clean off the buildup of crap all over it.. They are blowing pressurised air or dispersant all over the build-up on the hat.

hmmm.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Here is the link everyone needs......
realitycheck.no-ip.info...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
They removed it temporarily to clean off the buildup of crap all over it.. They are blowing pressurised air or dispersant all over the build-up on the hat.

hmmm.

I saw a ton of build up earlier on the BOP myself...but is it normal to just remove it like this for cleaning?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
Here is the link everyone needs......
realitycheck.no-ip.info...

That site has feeds 3x wide, and scrolling off the bottom.

www.sanaracreations.fi...

This is what you should be watching

[edit on 23-6-2010 by djexploit]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
if it's gone we have the opportunity to know the real minimal amount of oil that goes out !
In addition it seems that the flow goes out faster !!! 100000 PSI, what a pressure.... it means 6805 atm...

For those who don't see very well what's a PSI :
100 000 PSI = 70 306 958 kg/m² !

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

The device is no longer there... I don't think they'd just take it off after the huge effort to get it in place to begin with. And I saw no evidence of ROV's working to remove it. They just had Skandi ROV II sitting there and watching the thing jump around.

I don't think it was simply removed for cleaning, I believe that's it's blown off.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
INteresting. Several days ago someone mentioned that the cap was leaning precariously. This link has 12 different simultaneous camera feeds.

www.gulfcleanupfund.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

It seems to me that once they remove something from this pipe, that something is not going back. Otherwise, you would have thought you could cap it, right? The whole thing here is the overwhelming pressure that's spewing, so my guess is this "top hat" is done. What was it accomplishing, by the way?

link   

Originally posted by realmatrix

I saw a ton of build up earlier on the BOP myself...but is it normal to just remove it like this for cleaning?

I dont think they could give two hoots about some gunk building up on the outside. If they wished they could use ultra-high pressure lines to remove some. And as I said, that thing was "jumping" about an hour ago. It wasn't being manipulated by ROV's. It was coming loose.

That "top hat" was the only thing they had to aid in capturing the oil and gas/hydrates, as well as feed in their dispersants.

Regards,

Mike

link   
it's been noticed on GPL too on this thread

why does it look like fire is coming out, I thought that down that deep colours did not show up on camera ?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I don't think they would just remove it. They worked quite hard getting it into place and I think if it were going to be removed they'd probably mention it. Although I'm sure if it did come off "accidentally", they will most likely say they removed it for some reason.

I also have about 5 minutes of video.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
What was it accomplishing, by the way?

They are/were using it as a means to try and recover/capture as much of the oil and methane/natural gas as possible right at the source of the leak ... the broken/cutoff pipe.

from what I'm seeing on both Skandi 1 & 2 it looks as though they're attempting to put it back into place. (?)

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Hi Cosmic Pixie,

don't be worried by the "fire" appearance. That's just the lighting that's peculiar to that ROV. When there have been other ROV's on site at the same time they have only showed the brown yuckiness you'd expect.

Mike

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The Robot does look helpless...

Just comes and goes all the time without doing anything

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join