It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avatars: Why did you choose yours?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Mine is simply one of a series of six photos my (then) 8 year old daughter took. I have them in poster format framed on my wall.

Nothing much to profile there.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by acrux
Did anyone think this question on your avatar was raised so big brother could use it to profile you.

No need to tell about your avatar. We already know ALL about you

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

Thank you for letting me know !
I don't know why it's not showing up. It's there on my profile. I joined yesterday so maybe there's something I'm not doing right ?

And I'm not joking

~Sonny.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I chose mine because I'm more of a lurker than poster...

Besides, I like wolves and I think the blinking wolf eyes are cute

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
reply to post by LightFantastic

Ties in with my name aswell 'Lady Tuatha' is from the 'Tuatha DeDanaan' an ancient race of Irish people who some believed to have descended from the heavens ( aliens )

Interesting mythology, just had a quick look on wiki.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I chose my avatar because I'm a fan of Aleister Crowley

"The Devil does not exist. It is a false name invented by the Black Brothers to imply a Unity in their ignorant muddle of dispersions. A devil who had unity would be a God... 'The Devil' is, historically, the God of any people that one personally dislikes... This serpent, SATAN, is not the enemy of Man, but He who made Gods of our race, knowing Good and Evil; He bade 'Know Thyself!' and taught Initiation. He is 'The Devil' of the Book of Thoth, and His emblem is BAPHOMET, the Androgyne who is the hieroglyph of arcane perfection... He is therefore Life, and Love. But moreover his letter is ayin, the Eye, so that he is Light; and his Zodiacal image is Capricornus, that leaping goat whose attribute is Liberty." - Aleister Crowley, Liber ABA

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I like having an avatar that says something about me. I'm INTO dogs.
I have four and this one is Jaia, my male GSD. He is my favorite dog. This picture of him just seemed to fit well as an avatar and there's a look of wisdom and empathy in his eyes that conveys his true spirit and "person"ality.

What it says about me is that I'm a crazy dog lover.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Mine is of Grendel. He's my favourite comic character and is created by Matt Wagner.

He's the perfect anti-hero. You like him, but you don't want to. And he looks cool too.

It fits me because i can seem like an anti-hero sometimes.

Grendel

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

Thank you for letting me know !
I don't know why it's not showing up. It's there on my profile. I joined yesterday so maybe there's something I'm not doing right ?

And I'm not joking

~Sonny.

Go to the tutorials, or search function for avatars. I had to watch it a couple of times to get mine in place
You can check it right away by going back to your member profile, and opening your intro thread.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Doctor Doom was always my favorite character from comics. He's not a mutant, or an alien, not gifted by any special being, or the beneficiary of a scientific experiment gone wrong. He's just an ordinary human being with drive, determination, and intelligence; and he's worked hard all by himself to become one of the most feared and respected characters in all of comicdom. He's my hero

The picture I chose was the cover from Marvel Secret Wars #10, where Doom defeated all of Earth's major heros, villans, Galactus, and the Beyonder to become the most powerful being in the universe. Only the limitations caused by his mind's inability to control the vast new powers he possesssed resulted in his eventual downfall. Any stray thought he had became reality, and he couldn't shake the subconsious memories of countless improbable defeats at the hands of his enemies, so his defeat became reality. Sad story.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Both my name and my avatar are me trying to embrace living in northern Saskatchewan. I love wolves, and dogs, canines in general. I have 3. One is actually coyote/husky/shepherd, and yes she was hard to train. She thinks she is smarter that me
maybe she is some days. I also have a golden lab and a shihtzu.

I think a wolf embraces freedom, and they are misunderstood creatures.

An avatar gives some personality to your posts, gives people an idea of who you are on the inside, your ancestry, your beliefs, or what you like. My favorite avatars are the ones of animals, or the really old houses in landscapes. Some you can tell male or female, some you can't.

And yes, it makes it nice and easy to find your posts later.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

My avatar signifies my internal energies my positive side and my negative side always in constant battle for my actions. I always felt like I was 50% something and 50% something else, but not sure what something is...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Got it !! Thanks again !!

I hope this thread will continue for a while, some of the posts are funny, some are serious and overall, they all make sense

Well almost all...

~Sonny.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I like having an avatar that says something about me. I'm INTO dogs.
I have four and this one is Jaia, my male GSD. He is my favorite dog. This picture of him just seemed to fit well as an avatar and there's a look of wisdom and empathy in his eyes that conveys his true spirit and "person"ality.

What it says about me is that I'm a crazy dog lover.

Your avatar is one of my favorite. He is a beautiful dog. Some dogs just "know" stuff. I have a female coyote/shepherd/husky like that.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Although I was drawn to this thread because I'm thinking of updating my avatar and just wanted to get some insight into how some of the rest had picked theirs, mine has been the same now for quite awhile.

To me it symbolizes the coming storms in the world, and my lonely raven flying to seek out truth. The world also looks like a cold place. There is also a bright spot in the clouds, maybe a breaking up of the storm there to symbolize hope. Unless I can come up with something I think is better, then I'll probably keep it.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
For me my Avatar symbolises the bond 2 people have when they love each other,also out of respect for brandon lee who sadly died whilst making the film,the film for me was an inspiration,one of the best films ever made.It also ties in nicely with my name too i think.I could write a few more but i'll leave you guessing,dont want to babble on

Regards to all

[edit on 02/05/10 by FeatheredSerpent]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I chose mine because the eye of horus(egyptian sun god) to me represents esoteric study, which is appropriate here obviously. Also BP is a hot topic now and their logo is called the "helios logo" and was designed as a reference to the greek sun god helios. It was chosen the year the NWO (in my opinion) was born, 2000. It's used as a symbol by TPTB, like during the 9/11 memorial ceremony - i.ytimg.com...
TBTB seem to have a thing for the sun god (-:

[edit on 23-6-2010 by CREAM]

[edit on 23-6-2010 by CREAM]

link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
Lots of people on ATS have an avatar, which I suppose is to convey 'something' about themselves.

I have had the wife and collegues asking if I am on a forum with children because of some them.

So why did you feel the need to have an avatar, why did you choose the one you have and what does it convey about you?

Adding this information from the study - thought it applies...

Uncertainty Reduction Theory posits that people's primary goal in an interaction is to reduce uncertainty about the person they are interacting with. In reducing uncertainty, people strive to understand people's behavior during interactions as well as to predict future behavior Thus, people strive to 'get to know' or form perceptions of others...

...because avatars are a visible representation of a person ... evaluations based on the physical appearance of the avatar may be transferred to them. In other words, people use information related to the virtual image in a process analogous to the one they have learned and used to reduce uncertainty during their experience in natural environments...

...It is possible that the presence of an avatar is a strong social cue that influences people's perceptions, leading them to perceive interfaces as more 'social'. Similarly, how people perceive avatars may influence both the self-perception and perception of others using a particular avatar as well as message perception and retention...

The full study is at this link.

Influence of Avatars and Images

[edit on 23-6-2010 by LadySkadi]

link   
reply to post by snowspirit

That's so true! I love wolves! The avatar I might change tois of a wolf in a forest looking up at the stars. I think the wolf symbolizes me, in my quest for knowledge and the truth. It also shows me as a free creature. On a third note, I'm basically nocturnal, so it would symbolize that in me as well.

I'm going to work on my new avatar tonight! Y'all have inspired me!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I picked this one because it's funny as hell

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join