It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Plane (?) Takes Joy Ride in Sicily!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Moments ago I was working in the house and heard a plane pass right over and we're talking CLOSE.
At first I thought it might be flying up to see Etna (the Volcano) but it wasn't on the usual flight path planes take and by the sound of it the thing was HUGE - and military.

This thing passed over the house twice and I swear the pilot was like a kid taking a joy ride! Dipping, banking hard turns, going right up on it's side, but the plane is HUGE, not a little whippet Cessna.

It didn't go far so I dealt with my geese (who were freaking out) then hearing it turn back I grabbed my camera, ran upstairs to the upper floor to get some pictures and here's what I got. Not great but I've not mastered the art of using a digital camera for motion pics (who has) but I got a few.

This was freaky but don't get me wrong though I loved it!
As it approached (again) I started waving both hands (of course) and the pilot flew right over me.

This plane got so close the house shook under my feet and I swear I could feel the wind it made!
And it's position! Right on it's side, one wing could have sliced through the house like a loaf a bread, the other thrust up to the sun! (But of course that pic didn't come out - filthy dig cam!)

What kind of plane is this - besides huge?

Is it an Italian Military or American Military from Sigonella (close to where I live)... out on a joy ride?

I'm looking forward to the news tonight - I hope something about this is mentioned - I can't see how it could slip pass notice!

Whoever that pilot was he/she was sure having a great time!

If not they were training a really amazing exercise - like how to turn a plane inside out in three easy passes.

peace

[edit on 23-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Here is what you saw Silo13.

The Breguet Br.1150 Atlantic is a long-range reconnaissance aircraft, primarily designed for use over the sea. It is used in several NATO countries as a reconnaissance and patrol aircraft as well as anti-submarine aircraft. The Atlantic is also capable of carrying air-to-ground missiles. The Atlantique 2 is an updated version produced for the French Navy in the 1980s.

en.wikipedia.org...

Compare the photographs.

It is naval recon w/attack capability.

Armament Up to 3,500 kg (7,700 lb), including torpedoes, depth charges, mines, anti-ship missiles, bombs and/or buoys

It is a very beautiful plane imo.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Wow, so it's Italian Military - and yes - absolutely beautiful!

Unusual to say the least, the way it was flying, very unusual, in my inexperienced and uninformed opinion...

I'll let you know if I hear anything on the news...
Maybe it was readying for an exhibition?
I just can't imagine the way it was going at it they were training, but, hey, what do I know.

The more I think of it - for such a big plane it has amazing maneuverability... Hmmm, with all the tasks it's got (from your description) I guess it could have been training...

(All but the buzzing the chickie waving her arms on her roof top) lol...

Thanks tons!

peace

[edit on 23-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
That long boom on the tail of the aircraft is what is known as a MAD array - Magnetic Anomaly Detection. They dive down about a meter or two off the ocean and watch the response from the array - a drastic change in the detector indicates a possible track on a submarine (I say possible - because everything from large rocks to schools of fish can potentially mess with your readings).

And over Sicily?

There's a HUGE ASW (Anit-Submarine Warfare) community there through NATO, if I remember correctly. There's an I-strand Avionics shop there geared towards the P-3s, as well as one out of Rhoda, Spain.

Not too sure why a Br 1150 would be performing the maneuvers you describe over a populated area like that. In theory - they might be able to get some training on the MAD with that, but I wouldn't bet much on it.

Perhaps the pilot was getting ready to retire or his contract was about up, so he figured he'd have some fun and didn't care whose feathers he ruffled.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Perhaps the pilot was getting ready to retire or his contract was about up, so he figured he'd have some fun and didn't care whose feathers he ruffled.

That's what I was thinking -

Added Note: I've got a call in to a Military man here - hope to have some more news to add to this tomorrow after we speak.

And no, it really surprised me, but, there was nothing on the local news about this.

Wish it would happen again though - I loved it!

Really interesting info you added here about how the tail works and the subs and all. Now that you mentioned it I'll use that question to ask my Military contact some more informed questions.

Thanks!

peace

new topics

top topics

join