It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

God, Christianity, Control, and Fear

page: 5
16
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trudge

Originally posted by 54v!0r531f
reply to post by Trudge
 


why was god so active in the old world; talking with people, performing miracles and judging sins, but now he is nowhere to be found?

thats not a question for you per-se... just a thought,.


I think at first we were newborns and needed to have our hands held. At a certain point all parents must let there children leave the house and learn for themselves for better or worse. I just think many have strayed away from our paths of light and are being fooled and hurt not by God, but by others greed, corruption and self-centered views to control people.


According to the bible, we are being punished for how God made us, and punished for a test that God already knew the outcome of. This one god out of all the gods that have been created allowed the possibility of everything evil and painful. I'm not putting the blame on anything other than human beings because I don't believe in any gods. I just think that if you are to believe in that particular God you should blame everything that happens, including the bad, on your god that made everything.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]




posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   


I just think that if you are to believe in that particular God you should blame everything that happens, including the bad, on your god that made everything.


You seem pretty good at telling people what and how they should believe, ever think about going to work with a church? You would make an excellent televangelist.

I blame the sun for everything, if it was not for the sun then nothing bad would ever happen.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by zaiger]



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Naughty B0B

Originally posted by Trudge

Originally posted by 54v!0r531f
reply to post by Trudge
 


why was god so active in the old world; talking with people, performing miracles and judging sins, but now he is nowhere to be found?

thats not a question for you per-se... just a thought,.


I think at first we were newborns and needed to have our hands held. At a certain point all parents must let there children leave the house and learn for themselves for better or worse. I just think many have strayed away from our paths of light and are being fooled and hurt not by God, but by others greed, corruption and self-centered views to control people.


According to the bible, we are being punished for how God made us, and punished for a test that God already knew the outcome of. This one god out of all the gods that have been created allowed the possibility of everything evil and painful. I'm not putting the blame on anything other than human beings because I don't believe in any gods. I just think that if you are to believe in that particular God you should blame everything that happens, including the bad, on your god that made everything.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]


Maybe in order to see God we need to go through this process of self-awareness? Everything I have seen in my life so far has an opposite. So you can't create good without evil. In reality what really is good? The man who helps the old lady across the street, someone who prays for the old lady to cross the street safely, someone who does nothing, or someone who pushes the old lady into a car? 3 out of 4 does not seem evil to me but there does seem to be different levels of compassion does it not? If God created all and he is pure "good" but also must create pure "evil" for good to exist, why would I blame him for giving me life to know him, if I so choose to walk with him.

Added- Thinking about it even more we are not self-aware until we are about 2 or 3 (or at least the earliest I can remember, but I think at even 2 or 3 I wasn't "truly" aware), so even then we were born the opposite of what we are today. Maybe thats why all of my early thoughts seem like a dream...

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Trudge]



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
You discovered that pure logic tends to override any sense of faith.



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 


I don't know why but this song popped into my head when I was thinking of this thread so I decided to post it.



What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

What do I do when my love is away
(Does it worry you to be alone?)
How do I feel by the end of the day,
(Are you sad because you're on your own?)

No, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody
I need somebody to love
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.

Would you believe in a love at first sight
Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time
What do you see when you turn out the light
I can't tell you but I know it's mine,

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody
I just need someone to love
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
with a little help from my friends.



added- forgot to add my source for the song

www.lyrics007.com...

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Trudge]



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger


I just think that if you are to believe in that particular God you should blame everything that happens, including the bad, on your god that made everything.


You seem pretty good at telling people what and how they should believe, ever think about going to work with a church? You would make an excellent televangelist.

I blame the sun for everything, if it was not for the sun then nothing bad would ever happen.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by zaiger]


Do you agree that if you believe in god you should believe that god created everything and without him nothing would exist? That's what the bible says so I'm just reminding people of that. I just don't understand how followers of the bible can disagree with the bible. It's supposed to be the word of God. Don't you think they should follow it all instead of picking and choosing?



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trudge
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 


I don't know why but this song popped into my head when I was thinking of this thread so I decided to post it.



What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

What do I do when my love is away
(Does it worry you to be alone?)
How do I feel by the end of the day,
(Are you sad because you're on your own?)

No, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody
I need somebody to love
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.

Would you believe in a love at first sight
Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time
What do you see when you turn out the light
I can't tell you but I know it's mine,

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody
I just need someone to love
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
with a little help from my friends.



added- forgot to add my source for the song

www.lyrics007.com...

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Trudge]


Idk how it relates but I do love me some beatles. I might have to go listen to it now.



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trudge
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 


I don't know why but this song popped into my head when I was thinking of this thread so I decided to post it.



What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

What do I do when my love is away
(Does it worry you to be alone?)
How do I feel by the end of the day,
(Are you sad because you're on your own?)

No, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody
I need somebody to love
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.

Would you believe in a love at first sight
Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time
What do you see when you turn out the light
I can't tell you but I know it's mine,

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody
I just need someone to love
Could it be anybody
I want somebody to love.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
with a little help from my friends.



added- forgot to add my source for the song

www.lyrics007.com...

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Trudge]


Idk how it relates but I do love me some beatles. I might have to go listen to it now.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Trudge
 


interesting view.... if indeed our hands must be'let go' at some point, i must stand in awe at the timing of the creator.... we are STILL immature children, we have just found bigger, better and more devastating ways to kill ourselves.



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 




That's what the bible says so I'm just reminding people of that. I just don't understand how followers of the bible can disagree with the bible. It's supposed to be the word of God. Don't you think they should follow it all instead of picking and choosing?


So to be a follower of the bible you have to believe in the bible the way you dictate they should? That is pretty freakin dumb. The same line of reasoning could be used to say you should blame the sun for all your problems.



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
You hit it on the head with a hammer my friend.



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 54v!0r531f
reply to post by Trudge
 


interesting view.... if indeed our hands must be'let go' at some point, i must stand in awe at the timing of the creator.... we are STILL immature children, we have just found bigger, better and more devastating ways to kill ourselves.


Isn't a teenager still immature when we let them go into the world? I agree we are still immature, but given time I hope we are able to evolve into better human beings.

added- I'm in my 30's and I still have much to learn each and everyday.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Trudge]



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull
 



A perfect being creates imperfect ones and then damns them to an eternal pit of fire when they live up to those imperfections


Adam was created perfect. Genesis 1:26


They couldn't have known what they were doing was wrong until after they ate it...


They were told by God they could have every tree of the Garden. But commanded not to touch the Tree in the middle of the Garden or they would die. Genesis 2:16 and 17

Adam was not deceived, he knew what he was doing. 1 Timothy 2:14



Who directly lies about the consequences of eating the fruit? God lies and says it will kill them, in contrast the SNAKE tells the TRUTH


Adam began to grow old and die, immediately after eating of the fruit. He died in the same creative day.

Satan told Eve she would not die. Genesis 3:4

He lied.

Eve admitted that she was tricked by the Serpent. Genesis 3:13



[edit on 23-6-2010 by dusty1]



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 




That's what the bible says so I'm just reminding people of that. I just don't understand how followers of the bible can disagree with the bible. It's supposed to be the word of God. Don't you think they should follow it all instead of picking and choosing?


So to be a follower of the bible you have to believe in the bible the way you dictate they should? That is pretty freakin dumb. The same line of reasoning could be used to say you should blame the sun for all your problems.


To be a follower of the bible you must follow and believe what the bible says. Or is it not the word of God?

The bible says that God is in control of everything. A father that rapes and kills his daughter is responsible for his own actions, but it is God that made it possible and allows it to happen. All for some test that he already knew the outcome of. Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

The sun isn't able to willfully stop or prevent things from happening. Unless you're saying that the sun is God.


[edit on 23-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 




The bible says that God is in control of everything. A father that rapes and kills his daughter is responsible for his own actions, but it is God that made it possible and allows it to happen. All for some test that he already knew the outcome of. Makes perfect sense doesn't it?




This question is probably as old as religion itself. It is a stumbling block for some of us, and for many more at given moments of tragedy. There are as many answers to this question as there are people who care to engage in theological dialogue. One understanding is that yes, God allows "bad" things to happen; God does not cause them to happen.

Most "bad" things which happen do so because God gives a radical freedom to God's people; we are free people, not puppets on a string. But God does not cause "bad" things to happen. God loves us and grieves with us in our pain when "bad things" happen.

Therefore, we might best respond by saying that God does not Will "bad" things to happen in life. Rather, "bad" things happen in the freedom that comes with the gift of life. When "bad" things happen to any of God's children, God is grieved and suffers with us, experienced most vividly in the hurt and suffering of Jesus the Christ for all humanity. Any "bad" thing which happens is never the last word. Rather, God is the deepest and last word, and that word is love and eternal life with God.

--The Rev. Dr. Douglass M. Bailey


There ya go...
Although it really does not matter. When someone is getting killed i do not think anything would change if it was caused by free will or "god's plan". If lack of faith is sooooo much better then why did Joseph Stalin kill 20 million, Mao-Tse-Tung kill 40 million, Pol Pot kill 2 million and
Kim-Il-Sung kill 5 million? If you ask me logically thinking who is directly responsibile for more deaths God or the Atheist leaders i would have to go with Atheist leaders as there is no proof of God ever hurting anyone.



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1
 


The bible says Adam was created perfect yet Adam was able to disobey God. God knew he would beforehand. I love how people try to make sense of all of this. A talking snake and an all knowing God who tests people. A God who makes mistakes and gets angry at his creations after making them imperfect. At one point, he got so angry with his creations that he killed almost all of them in a big flood but promised to never do it again.



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 




The bible says that God is in control of everything. A father that rapes and kills his daughter is responsible for his own actions, but it is God that made it possible and allows it to happen. All for some test that he already knew the outcome of. Makes perfect sense doesn't it?




This question is probably as old as religion itself. It is a stumbling block for some of us, and for many more at given moments of tragedy. There are as many answers to this question as there are people who care to engage in theological dialogue. One understanding is that yes, God allows "bad" things to happen; God does not cause them to happen.

Most "bad" things which happen do so because God gives a radical freedom to God's people; we are free people, not puppets on a string. But God does not cause "bad" things to happen. God loves us and grieves with us in our pain when "bad things" happen.

Therefore, we might best respond by saying that God does not Will "bad" things to happen in life. Rather, "bad" things happen in the freedom that comes with the gift of life. When "bad" things happen to any of God's children, God is grieved and suffers with us, experienced most vividly in the hurt and suffering of Jesus the Christ for all humanity. Any "bad" thing which happens is never the last word. Rather, God is the deepest and last word, and that word is love and eternal life with God.

--The Rev. Dr. Douglass M. Bailey



There ya go...
Although it really does not matter. When someone is getting killed i do not think anything would change if it was caused by free will or "god's plan". If lack of faith is sooooo much better then why did Joseph Stalin kill 20 million, Mao-Tse-Tung kill 40 million, Pol Pot kill 2 million and
Kim-Il-Sung kill 5 million? If you ask me logically thinking who is directly responsibile for more deaths God or the Atheist leaders i would have to go with Atheist leaders as there is no proof of God ever hurting anyone.


Without God it wouldn't even be possible for all of those atheist leaders to hurt or kill anyone. It wouldn't be possible for religious wars to exist either. If you believe the bible then you believe that everything that exists is because of God.

If I had a child and knew that he was going to be kidnapped and have horrible things done to him, and I had the power to stop it from happening, I don't know about you but I would prevent it from happening.

If I was all knowing and all powerful and knew that one man that I was going to create was going to choose to eat fruit from a tree that would cause the human race to be punished, and I would later send my son to earth to be beaten and killed so that they could be forgiven, even though people would continue to be punished and sent to hell to be tortured forever, I would prevent that from happening.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]



posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 


Get over the whole bible thing i told you that i really do not care about it.



posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 


Get over the whole bible thing i told you that i really do not care about it.


That's what this thread is mainly about. I'm obviously going to talk about the bible lol

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Naughty B0B]



posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Naughty B0B
 


But your whole argument only works if there is a god and if someone believes in the bible you believe they do. So pretty much all your are doing is telling people how to believe only to then try and tell them how ignorant and dumb their belief system is. There are followers of the bible that do not even believe in god.



new topics

top topics



 
16
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

log in

join