It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A second dark age, could it be possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Could it really be possible? Have we not enlightened enough or is enlightenment only a cycle?

We all know how the first Dark Age began more than a millenium ago, when the Visigoths took down the Roman Empire. The mighty empire had fallen and all of the elite were sacked while other elite were forced into hiding from fear of persecution. This led to the rise of many evil dictators and a time of deep and dangerous anarchy across Europe.

So is it really that improbable? Remember the Visigoths, led by a man which was trained by the Roman Empire sacked Rome and eventually brought the entire might empire to dissolution.

Could the modern day Visigoths be the Al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations and the Roman Empire be the western world, or even all major countries? And let’s say they did bring us to our knees and then the citizens finished off the corrupt bastards. Would it be just like after the fall of Rome when the whole world enters a dark age?

Like the dark age before, people left the cities because there was no need for building things because the economy flat lined. They returned to the rural areas and tried to live while plagues and wars ravaged the continent.

[edit on 6/22/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

"Dark Ages" is a term referring to the perceived period of cultural and economic decline and disruption that took place in Western Europe following the decline of the Roman Empire.[

1][2] The word is derived from Latin saeculum obscurum (dark age), a phrase first recorded in 1602.[3] The label employs traditional light-versus-darkness imagery to contrast the "darkness" of the period with earlier and later periods of "light"

Originally, the term characterized the bulk of the Middle Ages as a period of intellectual darkness between the extinguishing of the light of Rome, and the Renaissance or rebirth from the 14th century onwards.

Source

*Emphasis mine

You see the problem with having another "dark age" is you would need a mass reduction in the ammount of information that is available to the general population.

One of the reasons that the dark age ended was become of the printing press, where books and other items of knowledge could be mass produced and distributed.

I also think that with the increase of information, we have become more aware of our surroundings and for the lack of a better word not as "controllable" as we would have been back then.

(All current conspiracies regarding the enslavement of man kind by the elite set aside of course.)

So no, I don't think it's possible. I think we perhaps could digress to civil unrest, and the breaking up of countries into much smaller territories.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/22/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

But if we entered a global great depression, way worse than the last one. And now the elite have a 'kill the internet switch', couldn't we not only be too poor for internet and technology but also have them take it away from us?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by tothetenthpower

But if we entered a global great depression, way worse than the last one. And now the elite have a 'kill the internet switch', couldn't we not only be too poor for internet and technology but also have them take it away from us?

Yeah, that's a possiblity.

However if you look at the level of population back when there was a depression, about 1.8 billion, compared to the 7 we have now.

That's a lot of people to get angry and riot and remove those a holes from power don't you think?

The times have changed SO much since then, that I think any organized effor to remove our current societal structure would be met with extreme force and prejudice.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The problem I see is the elite appear to have left themselves 2 options with this dreadful level of borrowing/debt, allow things to continue, try to pay down the debts and face mass riot/revolution from their own populations.. in essence this path puts their necks on the line.

Or stage an external conflict to reinvigorate national identity vs some enemy (any would do, but historical prejudices work better)

The first case might see a drop and rise in civilisation as we move through the cycle of ending this version of our civilisation and create a new one.

The second one is a little more open to debate on how bad it could get..

It could be bad enough to knock us back into some form of dark age...

But if the elite set it up, it'll be to their rules and their outcome (whichever side wins) so I honestly think they would set it up to come out smelling of roses and still in control.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If an oilspill puts down the harvesting of the seas for a couple of decades combined with the acid rains, and a katla or Krakatoa combined with the changing weather patterns screw up our food resources, I wouldn't care that much about the internet. I would care about food.

Combining this with the general distrust of the civilisation to TPTB it would stop any progress for a couple of decades (at least) If you look at the history, the fall of the Roman empire and the civil unrest combined with Krakatoa it is easy to sea how such an ages can form in a couple of years, maybe even weeks. We can't just say that "dark ages" are caused by humans alone. We just have made our social patterns in such a way nowadays, that, we as global society, will not fight for our survival, we only fight for a selected group, that in itself is a completly logical natural behaviour. That is the scary part too. If the SHTF and the S is not caused by humanity, humanity will make diarrhea of the S.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Dumbass]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well, if the world is going to turn into some post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with freakishly dressed gangs of cannibals, where only a few decent people scramble for a meager existence among the rubble and detritus of modern civilization, I know what I'm going to do.

Be a cannibal. Really, that's where the numbers are.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I think a civilization that was nearly as technologically advanced as ours and about as global existed and was destroyed/disintegrated over 10,000 years ago. I think the population back then was much smaller than now, however. The reason I think this is because in every religious text it says in some way we were unified in ancient times and it goes in great detail in the vedic (spelling?) scriptures about wars involving aircraft and even a possible 'dirty bomb' or other highly advanced weapon destroying two entire indian cultures. This was all followed by an absolute collapse of all major civilizations, along with rising sea levels which destroyed coastal cities and forced residents to move. The remaining people (mostly) were uneducated farmers, and the 'learned' people were forced to go back to farming and trying to survive.

So to answer your question yes I think it is possible, although it would be different.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
the "dark age" was only in Europe. The middle east was fluroshing during that time. As was the orient.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

"Dark Ages" is a term referring to the perceived period of cultural and economic decline and disruption that took place in Western Europe following the decline of the Roman Empire.[

1][2] The word is derived from Latin saeculum obscurum (dark age), a phrase first recorded in 1602.[3] The label employs traditional light-versus-darkness imagery to contrast the "darkness" of the period with earlier and later periods of "light"

Originally, the term characterized the bulk of the Middle Ages as a period of intellectual darkness between the extinguishing of the light of Rome, and the Renaissance or rebirth from the 14th century onwards.

Source

*Emphasis mine

You see the problem with having another "dark age" is you would need a mass reduction in the ammount of information that is available to the general population.

One of the reasons that the dark age ended was become of the printing press, where books and other items of knowledge could be mass produced and distributed.

I also think that with the increase of information, we have become more aware of our surroundings and for the lack of a better word not as "controllable" as we would have been back then.

(All current conspiracies regarding the enslavement of man kind by the elite set aside of course.)

So no, I don't think it's possible. I think we perhaps could digress to civil unrest, and the breaking up of countries into much smaller territories.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/22/2010 by tothetenthpower]

Sorry for the large quote, but I think your post was very well written...

I happen to disagree though... so much of what we now "know" comes from the digital form... I think that the large solar storms like the kind expected in 2012-2013 can have a drastic effect on that...

Or even another large disaster... there are many other theories which link major volcanic eruptions to the dark ages as well... we do know there was a major plague that erupted at the inception of the dark ages too...

There is a great episode on the history channel on this...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
the "dark age" was only in Europe. The middle east was fluroshing during that time. As was the orient.

Well.. the Western portion of the European culture at the time... Rome moved to Istanbul... They had tried to recapture "the great Roman Lake", but when they got to the villages outside of Rome proper, they found dead bodies everywhere... the plague had come... they retreated back to Constantinople and left the Pope to fend for himself...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Time shift to Dark Ages again, as a way out of 2012 doom?

2012 can't be survived. Not even by NWO. They know that. They told us that, incl in numerous films. The "happy ends" are not the realistic outcome with billions dead and a handful of billionaires saved.

They will make a time shift, something they do after 1998 (Anderson Institute, Dan Burisch). Call it a different timeline, call it a different spiral, call it whatever you want to. Stargate, wormhole, CERN. As you wish.

The Vatican who is deeply into the game, seemingly supports those plans to a certain level. "Angels and Demons" is not only Dan Brown's questionable ideas. Despite it didn't deal with time-changing issues, the centerpiece was CERN and its products. Later Vatican officials visited CERN. One may continue that list of no more hidden coincidences.

With the prospect of changing timelines, one may want to revise history. Someone too religious fanatic. Of course they will be cheated and probably never repeat the Dark Ages. But that is an option on the table, at least theoretically.

More realistic option is a Jurassic park/planet outcome. Because after the Jurassic era there are a couple of civilization-killer asteroids and comets. That means no time-related paradoxes will interrupt the current history as we know it. Whoever goes to the distant Jurassic past, will never enter the historic period of 10-12 000 years ago. That is a more realistic plan.

It is astonishing that even a CERN director admitted officially in interview the "dimensional door", and no one jumps. It is a done fact, guys! It will be switched on before 2012. If you still doubt, just see one of their propaganda movies about 2012, keeping in mind what you see is a part of the official explanation.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Gliese581]

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Misoir

I think it is very possible for the US to have another 'Dark Age'. We are so dependant on electricity, take that away and things fall apart quickly. Add disease, weather problems and it is the perfect storm.

new topics

top topics

join