It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking now: Federal Judge to block Moratorium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

from the source:

"Federal Judge Martin Feldman in New Orleans is considering whether to lift the moratorium and said he will decide by Wednesday.

Hornbeck Offshore Services of Covington, La., claims in a lawsuit that the government arbitrarily imposed the moratorium without any proof that the operations posed a threat. Hornbeck, which ferries people and supplies to offshore rigs, says it could cost Louisiana thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in lost wages. "

I feel for those in Louisiana who have been affected but this is a game changer. They should make BP compensate those affected, not lift the ban.

other tidbits from the source:

" It's likely to be at least August before crews finish two relief wells that are the best chance of stopping the oil. Scientists estimate the blown-out well has gushed anywhere from 67 million to 127 millions gallons of oil into the Gulf.

In the meantime, a containment device is sucking up some of the oil gushing from the well. Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said Tuesday that it had collected nearly 1.1 million gallons in 24 hours, a new record."

If they collected 1 million gall in 24 hours from this containment device sucking oil from the geyser, then this is leaking way more than there saying.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Overtime]

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Overtime]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Overtime

Personally I'm all for it. I mean think about it, when the Exxon tanker creashed up in Alaska, the government didn't ban all tankers did they? Same thing should apply here, just watch'em like hawks is all, no need to put thousands out of work just because of one rig.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Overtime

The moratorium is only for NEW drilling. It does not affect those that are already working off shore on established rigs.

I have several family members who work off shore on rigs, and they haven't missed a day, since the disaster. They haven't seen anybody inspecting existing rigs yet, either. So all this does, is put off people who are looking to do exploratory drilling, or those who have done so, and want to establish new wells.

Basically, I think it's a good thing to keep it in place, until safety issues can be re-addressed. The older rigs really do need inspection, too!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
They should put these people to work building solar panels, batteries and wind turbines. I don't feel sorry for anyone who works in an industry that is a major polluter and destroyer of nature.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The problem here is that the ban should have only effected BP to begin with....

The issue is not whether we should drill for oil or not.. the issue is the fact that we cannot trust BP when it comes to safety, to make the right decisions.

I'm glad that we can continue to drill... but I'm mad as hell that BP is

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Does this judge have shares in BP ? What does he know about the big picture ? Can he say that the problems that cause this disaster is only confined to BP and not industry wide ? What happens when another rig explodes, kills more people and wildlife ? He seems to want to roll the dice on it.

Ya I know people are out of work but it's nothing compared to destroying the oceans and everything in it. The whole industry should be examined before any more drilling is started.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I Agree with you on that. So, how much oil is Really leaking if they captured a record 1mil. gal. in 24 from suction at the geyser?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I Agree with you on that. So, how much oil is Really leaking if they captured a record 1mil. gal. in 24 from suction at the geyser?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Revealed: Judge who overturned Obama’s offshore moratorium owns drilling stocks

rawstory.com...

Things that make you go hmmmm...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayarea

Just now I watched on rov cams when they put a new top hat on the leak. that was wild the flow blew it aside 1st attempt.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yep, just as someone posted a minute ago, that judge does INDEED have stock in some drilling co. or another. Big surprise there though, right????

Why we are drilling in the middle of the damn ocean and not right smack in the middle of the country where there are at LEAST a trillion barrels is beyond me. It seems like it'd be a hell of a lot less risky.

I'm all for the solar panels, windfarms, and geothermal energy....this is where the future should be.

new topics

top topics

join