It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigration. How much are you willing to pay?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Illegal Immigration(II) is a hot button topic. They(not all) take from the system. Keeping them out hasn't been successful? Why? It would be horrendously expensive. Sea and land in the south would have to be patrolled 24/7. Build a wall some have said. Not only cost ineffective but not practical. Patton said, “Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity.” www.generalpatton.com... A military man like him KNOWS of which he spoke.

OK, here's the question. How much MORE are you willing to pay, via taxes, to implement a system that would work?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Wait a minute you're asking the wrong question.... the question is not how much would you be willing to pay for a system that works? The question is how much are you willing to pay for a system that works, as well as the massively higher prices we'll pay for nearly everything we produce because we don't have a large and willing group of inexpensive workers that will pick our crops? How much are you willing to pay for your lettuce, your tomatoes, etc. etc. etc?
Illegal immigrations and documented low income workers are a vital part of our economy... wait and see how it all tanks when union workers start picking the lettuce and demand golden time and 8 hour shifts... then watch everything go straight into the dumpster.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by kenochs]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
A very simple way to fix the immigration problem, is to get rid of income taxes, and just raise taxes on products.

That will force everyone, regardless of citizen status to pay the same taxes.

Obviously it would be more complicated then that, but it will work a lot better then having illegals coming here and living basically free.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenochs
Wait a minute you're asking the wrong question.... the question is not how much would you be willing to pay for a system that works? The question is how much are you willing to pay for a system that works, as well as the massively higher prices we'll pay for nearly everything we produce because we don't have a large and willing group of inexpensive workers that will pick our crops? How much are you willing to pay for your lettuce, your tomatoes, etc. etc. etc?
Illegal immigrations and documented low income workers are a vital part of our economy... wait and see how it all tanks when union workers start picking the lettuce and demand golden time and 8 hour shifts... then watch everything go straight into the dumpster.
[edit on 22-6-2010 by kenochs]

In summary you support the equivalent to slavery in the country for lower prices. Where's your humanity?

documented low income workers--these I am ok with as they are in fact documented and "LEGAL" paying their due share of taxes

Illegal immigrations-- well your very description details the problem with this ILLEGAL.

If we were to drop every single program that is paid for by tax dollars, that supports the illegal community. Returned it to the tax payer, we would have more than enough money left over to pay 5 cents more per tomato.

By the way, unless you live under a rock everything is headed for the dumpster anyway.

**edit to remove sarcastic intro

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Doom and Gloom]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Just out of curiousity I'd like to know if any of our national debt / deficit includes Mexico as a creditor / beneficiary. If so then I'd suggest deducting the costs of catching, processing, housing, sustaining, and deporting illegals from that amount. It'd lower the deficit and provide Mexico with a reason to try and keep their side of the border kosher.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kenochs

It is WRONG to pay a virtual slave class of workers lower wages simply because their skin is brown. I do not see why people cannot comprehend this. People scream about the darned lettuce and ignore the fact that the RACIST industries that employ illegals for dirt low wages are not helping anyone but themselves.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The below idea will never work because it makes too much sense and would actually end up with us saving tax money from the budget. So of course the government won't do it since they're all about socializing expenses and privatizing profit.

The real way to do it and to save money instead of spending more would be to bring our troops home from all these ridiculous foreign occupations and defend our own country instead of policing someone else's for corporate profit.

Heck, we wouldn't even need as many as we have over seas and we sure wouldn't have to pay private mercs like we do with foreign invasions. They're already on the public dole so I would relocate a fraction of the troops to border bases.

Hefficide- we do donate A LOT to Mexico. It has been suggested before to 'deduct' the cost of illegals from Mexico of the aid fund. However, again something that would make sense so don't expect our government to do it.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think there should be some way to help the Mexican economy to get better so that we are not swamped with illegals here. Companies should not be allowed to relocate there and pay slave wages for instance.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Before we suggest pissing away more money to that worthless pit, have you taken a look at our current economy? I think it is high time we pull everything back home and start to take care of our own.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I am with you totally on bringing the troops home. But that makes so much good sense that it will never appeal to the Congress Critters in Washington. They live in a different world than the rest of us do. I think they are taking so much money from special interests they have forgotten who they actually represent.

Special interests have made HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS on the Iraq war and they are gearing up for more profits in Iran and Pakistan.

There are terrorists coming across the southern border. That is a fact. If the Government really wanted to keep us safe from terrorism, something would be done to check the flow of undocumented people coming over the border.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

A lot.

Somebody else will also get squeezed up the food chain, capitalism will do it's thing and the prices will become reasonable. As it is, our system is already skewed out of balance by this illegal labor, it's best to fix that earlier than later. Besides, it would help drive down unemployment. Want your lawn mowed? Cough up more cash, but rest assured not a penny goes to Mexico. Paradise...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Why dont we take a cue from Mexico and do what they do when they see someone entering their country illegally, you just shoot the person!! I bet it would take just a few dead to make people stop coming over here because for once they will realize that we are serious about wanting our borders respected.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I don't believe we need to "pay" a penny more. What we need to do is lean on Congress and the President to stop spending our money elsewhere and redirect it to a priority area.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

Actually every single person that demands the lowest price "support the equivalent to slavery in the country" the US has successfully kept the ponzy scheme going for some time now doing exactly that, but the game is up and now with open season on illegals made into a sport, and the economy going down the flusher, crap hitting the fan in the gulf of Mexico.

I have a feeling two things are fixen to happen over there, one being the government is going to pull you into a war over in the real gulf area to prop up the economy and second your dollar is going to tank!, then you will see the real cost of goods and services like the rest of the world now does.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

This is the kind of stupidity I'm referring to:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We can pay out another $100 million for security of our locations in Afghanistan but cannot defend our border.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

While the idea of building a wall is silly fundamentally you asking the wrong question .
The question that should be asked is what pork projects or spending should be eliminated in order fund adequate border security ?

Since the Federal government won't act it is forcing some of the more sensible states to do so .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Patton said, “Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity.” www.generalpatton.com... A military man like him KNOWS of which he spoke.

The problem here is that Patton was speaking of a fixed fortification and what we'd like to see on the southern border is a fence.

A fixed fortification, say like the Maginot Line or the Great Wall of China, were monuments to stupidity, because determined armies just go around them.

In the case of the southern border, we just want something to make the foreign nationals think twice about crossing the border illegally and funnel them toward proper entry points.

We're not trying to keep out an invading army, though the analogy is often made. We just would like to control our border like every other country on the planet does.

I won't argue that our nation needs the labor that legal immigrants can provide, but I do not think that America benefits from an underclass of illegal immigrants to do that work.

A fence would be only one measure to control the border. Better policies would be needed and it would be nice if Mexico would work with us instead of pointing the finger at us while they descend into a narco-state.

I have friends with relatives in the boot heel of New Mexico and the stories they tell are pretty bad and there are places in the US that are controlled by illegals. You can google these stories.

What other country would tolerate this?

Canada?

[edit on 2010/6/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Whoever said anything about walls?
Let plant an anti personal/tank minefild by the border millions and millions of them.
Then we could plant a system of Geo synchronous weapon satellites above the border for better protection.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Wait a minute you're asking the wrong question.... the question is not how much would you be willing to pay for a system that works? The question is how much are you willing to pay for a system that works, as well as the massively higher prices we'll pay for nearly everything we produce because we don't have a large and willing group of inexpensive workers that will pick our crops?

Right. And you didn't even touch on the broader issue: the fact that protectionism completely contradicts the central ideas of free-market capitalism.

The protectionists are suggesting that business-owners -- the people who use their capital to create the jobs (and who therefore have the only legitimate claim to "ownership" of jobs) -- should only be allowed to give their jobs to certain categories of people, at certain artificially high wages, as directed by the centralized government. They think that these centralized directives towards business owners will somehow make us more prosperous.

We have a word for that line of thinking, and it ain't "Capitalism."

[edit on 25-6-2010 by theWCH]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Illegals pick the lettuce? That's news to me, seeing as how I live in the area where 80% of the entire nation's lettuce comes from every single winter. No, we have e-verify here. We have work visas here. Illegals do not pick your lettuce. Sorry.

Check out this video of those under paid slaves making $900 a week:

www.youtube.com...

Still want to boycott Arizona? Don't eat lettuce during the winter. Otherwise, you are a hypocrite. Cheers.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by azguyblahblah]

new topics

top topics

join