It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music business badly needs Eminem's "Recovery"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Music business badly needs Eminem's "Recovery"

drudge.pricetweet.us

But the duo are unlikely to lift the gloom hanging over the music business for long, with year-to-date U.S. physical and digital album sales by early June down 11 percent year-on-year to 130.6 million, extending a decade-long decline. To make matters worse, the recent boom in touring, which labels and bands sought to exploit as recorded music faded, is showing signs of weakness caused by high ticket prices and economic uncertainty, and digital download growth is slowing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So I guess people are finally tired of wasting their money on an industry hellbent on controlling the wishes and dreams of the masses. "Recovery" sounds like a deliberate attempt to make the masses of young adults listen to the spew about "Economic Recovery" that bubbles out of the government's mouth. "Everything is ok. We're recovering." Word association is a nifty way to make an idea acceptable.

drudge.pricetweet.us
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I'll be sure to hit the P2P networks to download my copy for free sometime later.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Now for some comments on the music industry in general. This money grubbing, artist pillaging industry is hopefully finally reaping what the sewed. They price gouge albums and song downloads and expect people to just go and spent $20 on a song.

God forbid you copy the CD or file or loan your iPod to anyone. Hell don't even use it as background music on a YouTube video or we'll get you. Artists don't make music to enjoy in any other setting except one where they make money. Oh wait. Just kidding that's the studio that does that!

They do it all while charging $20 for a CD that costs $.02 to make and only sharing a small amount of that %1,000 profit with the actual artist while taking away the artists "privilege" to write his own material and forcing him to perform studio material.

We've come a long way down since the days of Mozart and Beethoven (sp?).

Comments on the entertainment industry in general. Really? You're going to pay someone $20,000,000 to spend a few months to a year lying on film for other's enjoyment. Then you spend $30,000,000 on equipment. Now you're going to charge us $15 a ticket, $9 for 20oz of drink, $10 for a candy bar to make it all back. Then you have the gall to say, "no outside food or drink" so we have to let you rape our wallets.

All this so we spend so much money on entertainment that we are forced to decide if we want to see a movie or pay the phone bill this week. Sounds like a wonderful distraction technique to me. Good job TPTB. You certainly have all your bases covered. What with cable TV, DVD and TV, video game and other entertainment system prices too. I mean I bet we all spend in excess of %50 of our annual take-home income on entertainment.

We're all so distracted trying to be entertained and pay our bills at the same time lord knows what you do while we're not looking.

At to that all the entertainment taxes, income tax on studios and movie stars (aka good liars) and sales tax and TPTB is making a hefty profit off us too.

Plus all the vice taxes on alcohol and cigarettes and soon to be marijuana... (also entertainment by the way) Then consider the licensing fees bars and clubs have to pay for their music...

I went all over the place on this one. Have at it.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Something that amaze me is that you have to pay for Cd's, and renting a DVD movie at your favorite video store but you can read a book for free by just borrowing it at your local library. I wonder what is the difference between reading a book you borrowed for free at the library and illegally downloading a musical artist work.....

Please someone explain this to me.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Because one book borrowed from the library isnt going to be shared among countless people at once. Like a song might. And u can only keep the book so long, unless u want late fees. And, the book doesnt belong to you, you cant keep it forever, like you can a song.
I brought up the same idea with my teacher at school, but of course he didnt want to argue with me in the middle of class.
It doesnt make sense to me. And why is downloading books illegal? Or 'cheating'? Its jus the sharing of answers. But my teacher didnt agree with me on that either.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLife

Yeah teachers...... no comments....

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I've listened to Recovery, I liked a few tracks on it.

About the music industry, I havent bought a CD in years, and have no intention on buying one any time soon. I once read that the artists make roughly 17 cents per CD sold.

Now, I will happily go see them in concert if the price is right. Many artists could easily slash ticket prices and attract more audience members if they cut down on the excessive wardrobes and lights (cough cough Lady Gaga) On Thursday I'm going to see Foreigner, Styx, and Kansas, all bands that have well earned my money (although I saw foreigner for free a few years back in Pittsburgh) and on July 5th, I'm going to see Scorpions, another band that has well earned my money.

My mum said once that Phil Collins said at his concert, "Donate your money to animal shelters, don't buy my t-shirts, i've made enough money."

If only more people were like that...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Even two famous bands drop their record labels,
Radiohead and Nine inch nails.
They are making money with their concerts
and t-shirts and stuff like that.

top topics

join