It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question on Morals and Wisdom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I have a few questions i have been pondering for a while that i would like peoples input on. At this very moment i don't have much time to explain and elaborate every question that i have so i will post my first two questions.

Here is my first question
If lets say you are at a party or another social engagement and another women comes up to you and tries to make an advancement on you and she sneaks a kiss on you and you obviously refuse and make it known that you don't want that etc. Now if you know that your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband etc. was the type to get extremely worried about these things and you know that it would hurt them if they knew that another person came on to you and kissed you do you tell them? Lets say in this relationship you are perfectly honest and both people know each others past and there are no secrets. And lets say in this situation that the person who was kissed did absolutely nothing wrong do you still tell your significant other? Also if you were to never see that person again who came on to you does that make any difference if you were to tell your significant other or not?

I'm not really sure what my view on this is because on one side i feel that you should always tell your significant other everything but if you know that they are the type to really be hurt by things even if it wasn't your fault is it right to not tell them to save them the pain as long as you will never see that person again who came on to you?

Question Two: There are Two people, One person that strongly believes in god and the other person is an atheist. The atheist criticizes the other person on their beliefs and finds them ridiculous they believe in "God" and vice versa. A third person comes a long and believes that instead of a god there are magical pink elephants that run the universe. Who's beliefs are more ridiculous?

This question is not to offend any one but what i'm trying to get at is does having a belief no matter how normal or extreme protect that person from being ridiculed?

Why would most people think that the person who believes in pink elephants is completely ridiculous when atheism or the belief in god is quite common place? Is it because it is the norm and anything outside the norm of beliefs is ludicrous to some extent? Or is it because there is no proof of said elephants? Doesn't that also apply to god or atheism? I'm not trying to argue religion here but my point is that although some people say that there is proof of god here and there's no god because of this, well what if the person who believes in pink elephants has his own perspective of why pink elephants are real. Where is the line if there is a line that separates the sane from insane?

I know i'm not the best writer so i hope that you guys understand what i'm trying to get at and if not i'll help explain it further.

Please provide me with your insight since i can only see whats outside from my own windows.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by mischief2013]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'm not positive, but are you asking "If two people have opposing moral views upon any given situation, which one is right?"

It seems somewhat ambiguous.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I'm not positive, but are you asking "If two people have opposing moral views upon any given situation, which one is right?"

It seems somewhat ambiguous.

Too right, op sounds like a dawkins fan.

Science does not have any real answers other than guessing.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
thanks for the reply, no that is not what i'm asking. Each question is asking something a little different. The first question is a moral question. Do you tell your significant other to protect them or do you tell them and be honest and hurt them?

The second question is more of a is there a fine line between what beliefs can be accepted and what beliefs cannot. I'm asking if there is such a line. If i believe in the pink elephants and you believe in a popular religion which one of us is right? Is it you because you side with a popular religion or is it both of us because there is no right or wrong. A belief cannot be any more ridiculous or any less ridiculous then any other belief?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mischief2013

Read dawkins, sounds like you would be a fan.

Your not looking for answers here.

Go and buy a dawkins book.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It is always best just to tell the truth, and let the chips fall where they may. At least there will appear to be nothing sinister from you hiding the truth should it then be revealed at a later point you chose not to share it with people who might considered themselves effected by it.

As far as people of various faiths, they are often like the truth, a matter of subjective perspective.

I find it best once again to simply be truthful and let people know where you stand on such issues. They might not share or respect your position, but they will ultimately respect that you are a person who is honest, even if you are the kind of honest person they prefer not to associate with.

The truth will set you free.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

The ambiguity remains. Both questions require individual opinion and personal judgement. There are so many factors involved in each, such as societal norms, personal experience, personal beliefs...

In both cases there is no "right" or "wrong" answer in theory, there can only be answers which produce desired or undesired effects.

In the first instance one would have no way of knowing just how jealous, secure, accepting, or rational a significant other might be about any given situation.

In the second example both parties are likely to defend the point of view that they feel best describes their own interpretations.

That is about as specific as I can get, hope it helps.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Read dawkins, sounds like you would be a fan.

Your not looking for answers here.

Go and buy a dawkins book.

What do you mean i'm not looking for answers, im asking you what are your thoughts on the situation. I'm not saying if two people disagree on morals who is right i'm asking you what would you do and why.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

The ambiguity remains. Both questions require individual opinion and personal judgement. There are so many factors involved in each, such as societal norms, personal experience, personal beliefs...

In both cases there is no "right" or "wrong" answer in theory, there can only be answers which produce desired or undesired effects.

In the first instance one would have no way of knowing just how jealous, secure, accepting, or rational a significant other might be about any given situation.

In the second example both parties are likely to defend the point of view that they feel best describes their own interpretations.

That is about as specific as I can get, hope it helps.

thanks for the reply how ever i'm not looking for a right or wrong answer, i'm just asking you what would you do and why. I understand its ambiguous and it relies on many factors which is why i want your opinion on it and not a Yes or no this is the right way every time.

Basically i'm asking for your logic on the situation so i can compare it to mine and see if there was a way i didn't look at it or if there is a certain way you would justify it or not justify it in a way that i havn't thought of.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by mischief2013]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

you just sound like a richard dawkins fan, and i would think you would get your answers there, that your looking for.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

They need to ask themselves 2 things.
#1. What are the consequences of this choice?
#2. Will this choice bring me or others happiness?
If the answer is 'yes' continue with the action, if 'no' then dont.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If the person that snuck the kiss believes in God, and YOU do too, and your significant other is an atheist that ridicules you,
YOU GOT A SITUATION.
Without more information, I can't be much help I am afraid.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
All of the above are both true and false. Perhaps are still other options not even proffered here. For example, what if it were a sort of "sex game" for that couple that she flirts (and a bit more) which, in turn, excites him considerably. They both have a marvelous sex lives in every way. The question is this: Who are you to judge?

Your second example, similarly, addresses matters of faith. Even an atheist has faith that there is no wrathful god/creator who is going to launch lightening bolts at him. In this, he finds great comfort. There are many reasons why a person would need to believe that there is no divine guidance, just as there are reasons why a person would need to believe that there is such guidance be it a god or pink elephants (or anything else). But again there is but one question: Who are you to judge?

It is much kinder and wiser to simply accept. Just accept that we all have our paths and we're all at different places on our respective paths. You may well attempt to judge someone who is actually farther down the path than you are, but you are too inexperienced a soul to know it. I'm sure we've all known people at work or at school who believed s/he was pure genius, the most beautiful, the fastest, etc. Over time though, most people get their comeuppances. If not in this lifetime, they will eventually. Nobody rides for free.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Re. your first question - I think anyone who is jealous and over-dramatic should expect other people to with-hold bad news

I can't abide friction, so if I was unlucky enough to have got myself involved with someone like that, I wouldn't tell them that another person came on to me at a party. UNLESS there was a chance that they would hear the news from another source.

If I suspected that might happen, then I'd tell them. But I wouldn't be prepared to put up with too many of their silly antics. If they kicked off I'd be inclined to invite them to review our relationship.

As to the question about beliefs - some beliefs might seem more ridiculous than others, in my opinion.

And that's the point, really. It's only my opinion.

I'm not bothered what people believe in so long as they don't try and convert others. And I don't care what their religious practices are so long as they don't involve sacrificing animals and small children. Or doing any other harm.

All beliefs work for someone and if they give comfort then I'm not about to express my opinion with the intent of annoying or hurting anyone.

None of us knows anything for sure however 'real' it seems to us. And everyone sees life from their own unique perspective. For all I know, the guy with the pink elephants could only be wrong in that, actually, they are a rather delicate shade of lilac.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
It is always best just to tell the truth, and let the chips fall where they may. At least there will appear to be nothing sinister from you hiding the truth should it then be revealed at a later point you chose not to share it with people who might considered themselves effected by it.

As far as people of various faiths, they are often like the truth, a matter of subjective perspective.

I find it best once again to simply be truthful and let people know where you stand on such issues. They might not share or respect your position, but they will ultimately respect that you are a person who is honest, even if you are the kind of honest person they prefer not to associate with.

The truth will set you free.

Hello,

I'm in agreement with you.

What's that saying?...

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not.

I guess it comes down to the matter of being able to live with one's self.

To the OP...

I do to my significant other as I expect her to do to me.

And, to each his own on your second query.

Let's move-on to your next queries?

[edit on (6/22/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
you are talking about faith ! now we know it's ridiculous to have faith in pink elephant, we know they dont exist right ? right?( i hope they dont)

But faith is knowing of God's exitence it's not just believing in him or his doctrines like knowing what is you r age.

it's the same having faith in someone, you know.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
To question one - NO I wouldn't tell. Not to protect my partner's feelings but to prevent a fight over nothing. One that would probably drag on for months, years, never forgotten once it's out, it'll get brought up again and again and again.
What they don't know don't hurt them. You didn't sell your soul to them, did you? Do you want to be interrogated forever? Positive waves man, positive waves.

Question two - There's a lot of ridiculous beliefs that are common place, not everything that's daft is outside the norm. In your scenario I think the athiests beliefs are about as ridiculous as the elephants one. And if the third fellow is a bible thumper then he's daft as a brush too. I'd keep out of it.

I'm insane because I try to think outside the box as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Hi mischief2013

To answer your first question, you should tell your wife/husband to be honest even if they might get upset you did nothing wrong. Second, if you didn't tell them and someone from the party told them then you would be in trouble because you were not honest and tried to hide something that doesn't need to be hidden.

To answer your second question, to think there isn't something greater than yourself is to pretend that "you" yourself are the greatest being that has ever lived. That type of thinking is simple minded and something that people think when they can't comprehend something beyond themselves as being greater.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
1. Always tell the truth. Truth always told will build trust. Stray from the truth
once, and trust is lost.

2. Belief in God, non-belief in God, or a belief in pink elephants, are all equally ridiculous opinions, and at the same time equally plausible. There is no scientific
evidence for any of them. If you factor in morals, then the
most widely accepted belief is the least ridiculous...but be careful, the
Earth used to be flat.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
1. I would have to say the best option is to go with the truth. In this situation you've presented, there's no good way to prevent the significant other from being hurt.

You've done nothing wrong if you're upfront about what happened. The unwanted advancer was in the wrong. Ok, the truth may be uncomfortable and hurt your significant other at first, but it would still be reassuring to him/her to know that you are honest and that the advance was clearly and unequivocally unwanted.

So this would hurt far less than the truth being discovered later, because then it would cast doubt on your truthfulness and the fact that you wanted nothing to do with the other person or their advances. Trust would be broken, causing long term damage to the relationship that far outweighs the short term effects of just saying what the other person did to you right away. Not to mention, your conscience would likely be nagging you about keeping this from him/her, no matter how well-intentioned. The trust thing and the conscience thing really make keeping it a secret a bad idea, and really detrimental to the long term health of the relationship.

It doesn't matter whether or not this other person is someone you're going to run into socially ever again. But, I will say this. IF there's even a chance of it happening, you probably don't want to risk that person becoming friends with your significant other. How awkward and uncomfortable would that be? So your significant other needs to know about what type of person this other guy/girl is. Give your significant other a heads-up! You don't want that other person around you guys any more than is strictly necessary and unavoidable.

2. Well, since the dawn of mankind, we've been drawn to know our origins and our creator. Some believe in God, others cannot believe without irrefutable proof. Faith and reason are, contrary to popular opinion, not mutually exclusive. But I wouldn't say someone is ridiculous for having a greater capacity to take on faith and reason that God exists, or for having the mindset that something has to be tangibly proven to be believed. Neither is ridiculous. Now if someone comes up with the idea of a pink elephant in their search for something greater than ourselves, sure it sounds silly. But hey, God created everything and so could create (or appear as) anything He chose.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Ariel]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join