It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TX GOP platform: Re-criminalize sodomy, make gay marriage a felony

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

TX GOP platform: Re-criminalize sodomy, make gay marriage a felony

rawstory.com

Texas Republicans are a conservative lot. Still, it's difficult to imagine mainstream GOP voters demanding their neighbors be jailed for engaging in a little hanky-panky behind closed doors.

Nevertheless, the state's Republican party has voted on a platform [PDF link] by which their candidates will stand, and it includes the reinstatement of laws banning sodomy: otherwise known as oral and anal sex.

The party's platform also seeks to make gay marriage a felony offense, which may be confusing to most given that the state does not sanction or recognize same sex marriages, meaning any su
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
These types of platforms always resurface when election time draws near in conservative circles. I don't think the Texas GOP realistically thinks that sodomy: otherwise know as oral and anal sex will be once again made illegal in Texas. This is transparent pandering to the Religious Right; trying to solidify the base.
It's actually good political strategy even though I doubt if this type of legislation would ever see the light of day.

But it is Texas where.........

It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

It is illegal to milk another person’s cow.

It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I think they should make sodomy illegal in TX. Just think of the opportunities to bag politicians, lawyers, bankers and the other carrion eating scum trying to get a BJ. It could become a national sport.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
With all the problems in the world, it's sad to see the GOP sticking to their antiquated platform issues. Maybe, just maybe, this outdated, unimportant drivel will finally put the death nail in the TX-GOPs coffin! Please let them fail miserably!!!!

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It amazes me that anyone thinks thats even an option.
I love Texas, but these are the types of things that make people think we're all ifiot cowboys and backwoods rednecks.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Darn Whaaa you got me first,

This article is just the drop on the bucket for the morons running the GOP this days, they think that dumping gay rights for the religious right is going to give the votes they need.

Whole bunch of morons, full of skeletons in their closets, dirty, dirty rats all of them.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It's so fun to watch the old guard of good ol' boy, cigar chomping, Republican types as they frantically panic in vain attempts to restore a status quo that can never exist again.

I think this is less a real attempt at lawmaking and more an attempt to grab as many headlines as possible while they've got the tea party momentum working for them.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The Texas GOP may have bitten off a little more than they can chew if....

Sodomy includes oral sex as well as anal. That will in fact will criminalize many hetero's as well.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Funny, like they are so God almighty self righteous that they don't practice those acts themselves and perhaps many really deviant ones

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by whaaa

This article is just the drop on the bucket for the morons running the GOP this days, they think that dumping gay rights for the religious right is going to give the votes they need.

Actually, I think it's a decent strategy if they want to retain votes in the south. You have no idea how many people here want some Christian style theocracy. They believe the earth is less than 12,000 years old, humans rode on dinosaurs, etc. It's a bit frightening, but it's a huge and growing base.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yes, that's right folks, the party of "smaller government" wants to come into your bedroom and legislate regulations on your sex life!

The Platform:

We Believe in:
Preserving American Freedom
Limiting the expanse of Government Power
Americans having the right to be safe in their homes

As long as it's "freedoms", "government power" and "safety" that we agree with!

You should read what they have to say about abortion, stem cell research and religion!
What a mess!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I don't agree with it...but it is probably not a bad strategy down in Texas.

They did just have that whole textbook debacle.

I'm curious though:

It is illegal to milk another person’s cow.

Is that code for something else??? Darn kinky Texans

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Way to blow it, GOP (no pun intended).

Here's the biggest chance for a republican takeover ever and they run ridiculous far-right candidates with ridiculous far-right platforms.

We're going to get another 4 years of Obama if the republicans keep this trend up.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Next it'll be burning witches at the stake, impaling and torturing people for heresy and forced confessions to devil worship!

Seriously, with the country rapidly going down the crapper, that is the best they can come up with for a political campaign?

But, let's all invade and kill moozlims for the way they treat... errr....gays?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The lawmakers want to keep things for themselves, making it illegal for the rest of us.

Just like drugs, bailouts, child prostitution rings, and who knows what else...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think it is purposely divisive.
Neither party wants to empower the electorate. The GOP knows it can win, and there is very little risk in losing the moderates. They are positioning themselves on the authoritarian/conservative side of the spectrum since it appears MOST of the voters want government interfering with those they disagree with. Unfortunately, the liberals are the same way, wanting government to redistribute wealth, and forcing business to adhere to progressive ideals in the workplace.
You would think one party or the other would be seriously trying to empower the individual and ease the burden that an oversized government is having on American working class people. But, it is never to be, until government simply collapses, and everyone picks up their toys and goes home.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This is a stupid platform item, but Rush Limbaugh gave them their marching orders when he said, truthfully, that "the GOP does its best when they are unabashedly conservative."

Full throttle, far right, religious conservativism. Why? Because so many "on the fence" people (with religious views that aren't quite atheistic, but purely secular) need to feel that the God fearing folks are watching out for them.

It is also why we lose our rights so quickly, as humans are wired to acquiesce and become apathetic.

The Texas GOP has a tenuous hold on Texas politics, with the Democrats often riding a wave of support in the Austin region right into the Governors mansion.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Look at this part of the link,

the Texas GOP platform goes even further in attacking homosexuals, adding:

We believe that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle in our public education and policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, refuse to recognize, or grant special privileges including, but not limited to: marriage between persons of the same sex (regardless of state of origin), custody of children by homosexuals, homosexual partner insurance or retirement benefits. We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

So what this people wants, to ban sex completely, go to a sperm bank to give out sperm and have a doctor inseminate the womens enjoying sex to become unlawful.

So Gays can not be able to get together, and then what else is there spying on the bedrooms of people to make sure they are not doing illegal sex

Did I say the word morons enough or do I have to keep saying it more and more, morons, morons and more morons, and to think that this morons actually get elected and hold positions of power that end up screwing life for everybody else.

This people needs to be taken to the gulf coast and dump them in the oil spill head first

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

This sentence here frightens the hell out of me.

We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

Therefore, they condone discrimination/violence based on a belief.

I agree Marg. MORONS.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

I agree I didn't see that one, so that means that people that commits violence against homosexuals under the banner of religious believes or what they consider their version of moral values will be getting lesser punishments under the law or not punishment at all.

Can somebody please post the nations of the morons behind this TXGOP

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join