It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gen. McChrystal Called In to Explain His Anti-Administration Comments

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by Doc Velocity

The only reason General Stanley McChrystal is being torn apart is he is trying to fight a war which cannot be fought and he spoke his mind.

Uh noo.. that's not the issue... its the fact he spoke his mind to a REPORTER!

This isn't how American Generals should behave...

No matter whether he spoke his mind or spoke to a reporter the same would have happened.

The difference is the delivery and how the message gets out.

While he may have commented to Rolling Stone the Administration knew his mind, they do not allow someone to McChrystal's position, without knowing exactly where they stand and how they will act.

The political manueverings of Washington D.C. are many.

Whether McChrystal did this to state his opinion, to get himself out of the front, or if someone intentionally wanted him gone is yet to be seen.

He had the right to speak but his critical comments can come across as malicious.

Whether it was or was not his original intent.

Personally, I have thought Obama was a joke, before he got elected.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt, considering I had never heard of him prior to running as a Presidential nominee, however, he has proven me right.

Obama is a joke.

America is seeing it, BP PLC is seeing it, but the problem comes when the people of the world begin seeing it, because unlike McChrsytal, when the International Community begins seeing weakness in our President, the sharks will begin circling, and there's blood in the water now.

And Obama is being seen as not only a joke but a weak man.

Whether I agree with Obama or McChrystal, or not, I see this as yet another weakness Obama is showing, in not acting immediately, diplomacy only goes so far.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Two things many of you are missing:

1. If anybody in the Generals Command spoke challengingly or disrespectfuly of the General, McChrystal would have that persons head on a platter. That's how you maintain command, you tolerate no disrepect.
He is Obama's subordinate, plain and simple. Respect your commander.
2. EVERY war that's ever been fought has political implications.
EVERY war from the dawn of time. Those who say "leave it up to the generals" don't know jack about military history. It's never been that way, in any place or time. War, and what follows is way more complex than that.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

UPDATE: Gen. Stanley McChrystal has offered to resign his position in the wake of an explosive Rolling Stone interview, according to Time magazine's Joe Klein.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

It looks like Obama is having a hard time controlling his generals. This doesn't look too good for Obama, that's for sure.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
nvm

[edit on 22-6-2010 by AtruthGuy]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Is there a current online source, that outlines exactly what in the holy-bleeding-freaking-crap was said that was so bad? I wanna know.

Did he threaten the President or something? Start hinting darkly about a military coup...? Because, short of that, I haven't seen anything that these people said that would call for the resignation of the man. This is ridiculous.

Yup. I'm one of those standing there with the veins popping outta my neck screaming "Free Speech!!!!"

Sure, it was poor judgement, but not worthy of such a hullaballoo. Good lord.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masterjaden
reply to post by antonia

I'm sorry because there's also a certain level of competancy expected out of the CIC... and those he appoints.

And this has not one iota to do with the Generals behavior. He showed VERY poor judgement. He's done, bottom line. Generals have been fired for a lot less than he has. If he was intelligent he never would have done the interview.

As for those telling me I should research it, I know very well who he is. I heard of him long before this. I read the interview and it is still my opinion that he was way out of freaking line.

Personally, I think he's just lining up for a 2012 run. He doesn't think he can win the war so he'll drop this bomb, get pushed out then whine "Oh we would have won if I could have stayed". He's out for himself. It's disgraceful.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
In my current work situation, in the security field, there is a Captain above me and a Manager above him. The Captain delegates to me and I disburse the instructions downward. However, between the Captain and myself is a lot of mutual respect. If I have issues with his instructions, I feel comfortable voicing them and we discuss my issues. Sometimes this leads to modified instructions. Sometimes it results in no change and I can accept this and do my job.

It doesn't sound to me like the General here, has such a relationship with his boss. It sounds like he is pissed, has no one to listen and consider his concerns, and therefore...made a mistake...and found someone to listen. This, to me, is a mistake by the General but a failure by the President (and others involved in the process) to build a working relationship with "those in the field". Or...and unwillingness to do so.

Haven't we all been there? Your boss demands something without knowing some important points...and won't listen? Sure, we understand that they have the final word, but not using all the information and professional opinions around you is management from within a void. This President, with his love of his own voice, is the wrong type of manager. And after all...isn't the job of the President to be the biggest, most powerful manager in the country?

Personally...I hope the General resigns (and it is accepted). Otherwise, he will become nothing but a beat-up puppet, doing a job in a manner that he knows is incorrect. He has my respect for having the balls to say what he believes. Maybe if more "managers" had the guts to do this, at the risk of personal and professional retaliation, people would start realizing it was the "boss" that was the problem...not the people risking their lives for us all.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
oh god more republican crap from doc velocity

this general has band of retards were not criticizing the administration, they were trying to show off for reporters. I expect the man in charge of running ops to be a professional, not some attention whore diva who can't keep his opinions to himself.

McChrystal is "contemptuous" of civilian authority and has demonstrated "a bull-headed refusal to take other people's judgments into consideration."

right, he's an american hero who should be praised for acting like a child

"At one point on his trip to Paris, McChrystal checks his BlackBerry, according to the article. 'Oh, not another e-mail from Holbrooke,' he groans. 'I don't even want to open it.' He clicks on the message and reads the salutation out loud, then stuffs the BlackBerry back in his pocket, not bothering to conceal his annoyance. "'Make sure you don't get any of that on your leg,' an aide jokes, referring to the e-mail."

what a joke, I hope they fire this idiot and bring someone on board who can voice his dissent in way that doesn't seem like petty highschool BS.
source

[edit on 22-6-2010 by piddles]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Obama to McChrystal:

STFU, we're there to protect Opium fields, and to build pipelines to the Caspian Sea.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Good for General Mcchrystal. He spoke his true mind and told us just how he feels about the jokers in congress and the administration who are putting our troops in harms way because of their lame politics and half ass-ed leadership.

He's the one in Afghanistan, not the perverts in Washington. They go to Afghanistan for photo ops. Mcchrystal was there to win a war. Go figure . This would piss any soldier off. I thought that it was a soldiers right to complain.

Well it looks like they won't have Mcchrystal to kick around anymore. To bad the General can't take a bunch of Washington politicians with him. That would be sweet.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by piddles

You know the worst part of it? He was probably freaking drunk. Read that article again. It indicates they were drinking. What kind of an idiot gives an interview while they are drinking?!

This would piss any soldier off. I thought that it was a soldiers right to complain.

In the proper way, through the proper chain of command. The proper chain of command is not Rolling Stone magazine.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The interviews were given over the course of about a month. The reporter was invited to stay with the General and observe parts of the operation.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
General McChrystal: "Damn you Barak we are sick of guarding the poppy fields and the endless corruption of Karzai giving millions of dollars to insurgents that kills my brave soldiers".

Obama: "Shut up and get back to guarding the poppies and don't dare to question moi annointed one again, or the endless wars".

General McChrystal: "Uhh sorry sir... yes sir!".

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by piddles

What kind of an idiot gives an interview while they are drinking?!

Good point

chit hammered with the finger on the button!

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Obama commander and chief... more like commander and chump.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
star and flag man, im sure your words speak for most of us, I would love to be a fly on the wall for some of those meetings. I bet they are real juicy

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Spartan King you said it perfectly. Obama can't even get it right when he gets it right. His indecisiveness is boundless and he is a joke.

Obama didn't have enough experience to be hired as a junior diplomat and he is PRESIDENT. OMG It is really unbelievable. I pray to God that we don't get attacked before Jan 2013. We need a President not a wimp community organizer.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by piddles

What kind of an idiot gives an interview while they are drinking?!

Good point

chit hammered with the finger on the button!

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Janky Red]

The video and sound is slowed down to make him appear more drunk than he was.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by john124]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MY2Commoncentsworth
reply to post by antonia

The interviews were given over the course of about a month. The reporter was invited to stay with the General and observe parts of the operation.

Indeed they were. One of the parts of the story indicate they were drinking during one of those sessions. At the very best it indicates the General has no idea how to control his aides.

And really, those of you bashing Obama better realize the strategy was McChrystal's. I personally think he's just quitting before it all blows up in his face and he realizes he's lost.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

And really, those of you bashing Obama better realize the strategy was McChrystal's. I personally think he'd just quitting before it all blows up in his face and he realizes he's lost.

If Obama's own mistakes have been made sobre then god help America if he ever turns to drink.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by john124]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join