It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gen. McChrystal Called In to Explain His Anti-Administration Comments

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+51 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

The top U.S. general in Afghanistan was summoned to Washington for a White House meeting after apologizing Tuesday for flippant and dismissive remarks about top Obama administration officials involved in Afghanistan policy. The remarks in an article in this week's in Rolling Stone magazine are certain to increase tension between the White House and Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal.

The profile of McChrystal, titled the "Runaway General," also raises fresh questions about the judgment and leadership style of the commander Obama appointed last year in an effort to turn around a worsening conflict. McChrystal and some of his senior advisors are quoted criticizing top administration officials, at times in starkly derisive terms. An anonymous McChrystal aide is quoted calling national security adviser James Jones a "clown," who remains "stuck in 1985."

Referring to Richard Holbrooke, Obama's senior envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, one McChrystal aide is quoted saying: "The Boss says he's like a wounded animal. Holbrooke keeps hearing rumors that he's going to get fired, so that makes him dangerous."

U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan Karl Eikenberry, a retired three-star general, isn't spared. Referring to a leaked cable from Eikenberry that expressed concerns about the trustworthiness of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, McChrystal is quoted as having said: "Here's one that covers his flank for the history books. Now if we fail, they can say, 'I told you so.'"

Even this cardboard cut-out Administration's own appointees are mocking the collective ineptitude, insincerity and bad judgment of Obama's appointees.

This is the part that got me, right here (thump thump):

A few weeks ago, according to the magazine, the general traveled to a small outpost in Kandahar Province, in southern Afghanistan, to meet with a unit of soldiers reeling from the loss of a comrade, 23-year-old Cpl. Michael Ingram.

The corporal was killed in a booby-trapped house that some of the unit's commanders had unsuccessfully sought permission to blow up.

One soldier at the outpost showed Hastings, who was traveling with the general, a written directive instructing troops to "patrol only in areas that you are reasonably certain that you will not have to defend yourself with lethal force."

During a tense meeting with Ingram's platoon, one sergeant tells McChrystal: "Sir, some of the guys here, sir, think we're losing, sir."

Hands tied, ordered to patrol ONLY in areas where they won't have to use lethal force. It's a ANOTHER WORD FOR CAT war being conducted by ANOTHER WORD FOR CAT IN PLURAL FORM who don't want to kill anyone. Meanwhile, our troops are getting murdered.

Does this not make you SICK to your stomach?

Does this not make you so outraged that you want to call the President in from the driving range and FIRE HIS NO GOOD ANOTHER WORD FOR DONKEY on the spot?

The MALE PROGENY OF A FEMALE DOG is playing "community organizer" on a global scale, and it's getting Americans killed. Obama has NO BUSINESS in an executive position anywhere, and his hand-picked appointees are a reflection of his stupidity.

This has got to be the best summer EVER, and this November will be like dessert.

God Bless the USA and God have mercy on our enemies, both foreign and those in Washington.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 6/22/2010 by Doc Velocity]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/6/2010 by Mirthful Me]

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

What do you expect from a man who never eevvvveeerrrr served in the military. This fools think if we play patty cake with the bad guys everything will be aok... Well since you dont want to let the Soldiers fight the war bring them home NOW.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The general should be careful.

Criticizing the Admin could be deemed Terroristic Threats or Activities, especially in his position!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Its really enjoyable to read an uncensored response before the mods get to it, kudos.

We never went there to win, that hasn't been the objective in any war since the Korean war. You are right though bunch a snippers. The chain of command is a joke and it all comes down to people. Ive always lived by this creed:

When the boss tells you to do something assanine tell him sure no problem. But then you do what you know is right and works regardless!

If it comes back you say I misunderstood. Always works,and if the rest of the world operated that way it would be a much better place where objectives get accomplished.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ISHAMAGI

My dad always told me it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. True words!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Careful Doc, watch that blood pressure!!! Hope your doing well btw.

This is just another distraction created by the idiots in Washington. So freakin what if he criticized an inept administration that's causing his troops die. WHO WOULDN'T
I am sooooooooo angry. Every time I turn around, I see obama and company reeking havoc.
When I heard about obama, george soros, and brazil, I lost it, but that's another topic.
All I know is.....
You tell 'em whats what General!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if they don't like it, too bad, the truth hurts.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by sickofitall2012]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
What the General said will probably get him fired but I sure do agree with him. I just came back from Afghanistan and I’m here to tell you the rules of engagement are ridiculous and we have no direction from the President on what we are doing there.
I appreciate what the General said, the President again shows us that has no experience at anything except reading a teleprompter… Sorry if you support the Obama agenda but he isn’t what you voted for either.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Star and Flag, Doc!

It is sickening! Sounds like Vietnam all over again.

How is the not smoking going? You got me to quit. I stopped on Memorial Day this year after 23 years. Thanks for having a stroke! It made me quit.(you know what I mean)

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm just gonna copy and paste what I put in the other thread. McChrystal was completely out of line. Nor is this Vietnam, the brass there did not publicly run their mouths without consequence either.

Originally posted by theability

Ahh do I smell dissent among the High echelon of the ranks?

No, you smell insubordination.

Seriously, this is the beginning of a much larger issue, if the Generals are being snooty they the troops will follow and then?

This is not the beginning of anything. One is allowed their own personal opinions. However, when one is in the military expressing those opinions can land you in hot water. It has always been that way.
en.wikipedia.org...
If he got sacked he would be one of several who have been sacked for such behavior. You don't talk crap about your boss in earshot. That's common sense. I personally think the guy should have been fired back in fall when he started running his mouth about the surge. He does not know how to conduct himself. Unlike Patton, who actually had winning strategy and vast intelligence, McChrystal is just a wannabe. Even Patton didn't get away with running his mouth. Believe me, a lot of the troops don't like the general. I hear it all the time.

There is a certain standard of behavior expected out of officers in the military. This guy is not living up to it. I'm an Army brat, my daddy was is, my sister was in, my brother is in, even my husband is in it. Trust me, I know the standards. Don't run your mouth on camera or in print if you want to keep your job. It's been that way since the service began.

Edit cause I want to make something very clear: This guy should fax his papers in before the plane hits the runway. He demands respect from his subordinates (which he should) yet his disrespects his superior officer? He shows a complete lack of respect for the UCMJ, the chain of command and basic military bearing. He ought to be sorry and he should go retire. Don't even get started on the Tillman affair. It just pisses me off that our Army has a leader who apparently can't get above frat-boy behavior.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well sadly we are still in that forsaken country. We should have been out of there, but for the poppies and who knows what other agenda, not having anything to do with Bin Laden.
My vote went to Obama, simply for the fact that I thought our troops would be home by now! I held onto a glimmer of hope at that time....I was already jaded, but I kept hoping I was wrong about who is really in charge and why they do the things they do. It is a game, our govt, and we are all the TV viewers, much like a Laker Celtics game. What do you know, it went 7 games!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I do think McCrystal should have resigned first. and then talked about the incompetent Commander -in- Chief. I thinks he puts himself at to much risk, talking smack first.
He would have a stronger case, if he would have distanced himself from this administration before turning rouge. Now He leaves himself open to all kinds of trouble.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well now!
Who is General McChrystal to be calling anyone anything?
HEY REMEMBER PAT TILLMAN?
Who covered up his death by friendly fire?
who orchestrated the lies?
Why the good General!

Tillman family accuses Gen. McChrystal of cover up.

Hmm, this from 2009 so save your right wing accusations of spin!
Seems the General ain't such a patriot after all! He's a lying clown himself!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Wow, you mean a senior military guy isn't happy working under a Democrat President.

Come on, get real - Obama is bad mouthed in every barracks from here to Tallahoochie, these guys from Rolling Stone just hung around them long enough to hear the usual insults, the only issue is that they usually don't come from a general or his aides.

He's cooked, done deal.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
"Antonia" has it right. That's the way it is and that's the way it should be.

World wars bring out the best in Generals. Occupations . . the worst.

Occupation = politics. Politics=Manipulation. Manipulation=Handcuffs

Handcuffs=Generals without clout. Since WWII, Generals have been second-

guessed by think tanks and politicians.

But since when does a POTUS have to have military experience ?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This is an opportunity for him to gain political power if he plays his cards right.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Why the disinfo?

Think deeper. Americans take insults easily, Water off a duck's back actually. For a General to be sent packing back right in the middle of a war would carry a deeper significance.

Perhaps finally the Commander-in-Chief managed to get a chance to read Bradley Mannings leaked cables from its orignal source - a man now held in Afghanistan where that inept general is commanding the war - and decides to question the General on his role and conduct of the war, paid by American taxpayers and the blood of our precious courageous young soldiers to do the right thing and not the atrocities as shown by Wikileaks 'heli-massacre of innocent civilians'?

[edit on 22-6-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
At first I was against getting rid of McChrystal, but then I started out reading (from soldier's accounts) how his very restrictive rules of engagement are actually causing more American casualties and make it appear that afghanistan is just another bad example of politicians attempting to manage a war.

Sad dilemma, really. Because it looked like McChrystal might be the guy to pull it off. And the other question becomes, if not McChrystal. then who? Is there such thing as a general that is on the same page as obama, but can still win the war? Sounds to me like an oxymoronic situation if there ever was one.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I must admit to confusion...

On the one hand we leaked videos of our troops acting like thugs, shooting up civilians and reporters...

The next we are told they have their hands tied behind their backs.

You know what I think? I think our military is stretched to the limit. Something has to break and the cracks are showing. We entered into these conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan based on lies, we all know it, where are the wmds? where are the terrorists? where is Osama? Blood and treasure flushed down the toilet.

You have to ask yourself how exactly we were left like this, in debt up to our necks, faith shattered. Is it really Obama's issue? or is it Cheney's legacy? was this by accident or plan. Perhaps its the failing education system that has left America in ever growing ignorance, distracted and apathetic.

Maybe we are just reaping what we sow.

We are all to blame for this mess.

All of us.

Point a finger at yourself first before you blame another.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by Doc Velocity

What do you expect from a man who never eevvvveeerrrr served in the military. This fools think if we play patty cake with the bad guys everything will be aok... Well since you dont want to let the Soldiers fight the war bring them home NOW.

Yep, unlike No. 43 who fought the Viet Cong in Texas ...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Aw come on! To be fair not one single North Vietnamese aircraft ever penetrated Texas airspace!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join