It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty in America...Living Wage Calculator

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kimo57

out of wack for your area? are you urban or rural?

i've found them to be pretty accurate overall, but a few people have reported that they're way off.

i think the top moneymakers for an area varies by area. what was yours?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Health care should be a lot more, and even rent...although rent varies...it lists just over $1000 for rent for my county...yeah you can find cheap rent but you'll be living near a crack house and get broken into...I've seen it happen to friends who tried to find cheaper apartments, their cars and apartments were broken into a half dozen times before they moved...a decent apartment where I am at is actually between $1300 to over $1800...that's a house payment in most states lol
My fiancee an I make a combined $30/hour which is almost $40,000 a year and we figured out we could not afford an apartment here unless we live in a run down motel that now rents out rooms as studio apartments with no kitchens/laundry

You notice most of those jobs pay less than the living wage, especially in California...and what type of jobs are most of those? Service Industry jobs...What do you keep hearing about our economy? That we are a Service Industry economy because all of our manufacturing and even tech is done overseas. If the majority of our people are working in the Service Industry making below the living wage...the majority of people will be living with government assistance...and maybe that is what they want...when they supplement our income, pay for our health care, they will be able to control our lives.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Remember this?

Oh wow.

I totally cannot stand Obama, but he actually made a very good point in that video. Probably the only good thing I can say about him.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
He did seem to be the only one who related. I don't think he does anymore

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah...service industry. When they fed us that "service" line of you-know back in the early 90s, we were told not to worry...that the U.S. would be an elite world-class service provider to the entire world...they would do X for us and we would do Y for them. Then they proceeded to tack the word Service onto every division name...Global Services. Never bought it then and cringe now. As bad as I am with "economics" I knew that if you had a country full of people, providing just services...well that wouldn't work. Who's going to keep buying the services if no one is working? What happens when the countries that got our manufacturing wise up and take over that too? And sure enough...

Yeah.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join