It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty in America...Living Wage Calculator

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It's nice to hear there was a rebirth at least for a while...maybe there will be again. Let's hope so. Wondering if there's anyplace in the U.S. not affected.

(We're coming down to see the last shuttle launch in September. Hope that stays on schedule. I have crazy memories of that place...super secret spy satellites launching at a moment's notice without warning in the middle of the night...my first exposure to a tornado...working at the Pillow Talk Lounge. Ha! I lasted two nights.)

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by brainwrek

Was she unemployed when she got pregnant?

If so, its their fault for being irresponsible.

No she wasn't and even if she was who are you to tell someone what's irresponsible to another? Huh? You aren't in their shoes. If you must know she was on the pill!

I am a taxpayer who would be forced to subsidize her irresponsible choice if she was accepted into the food stamp program.

Luckily she wasnt.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Well, I hope that one day you don't find yourself in need because you may cringe at remembering your own words. You just never know...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by brainwrek

Well, I hope that one day you don't find yourself in need because you may cringe at remembering your own words. You just never know...

Proper financial planning and smart, responsible choices act as a buffer between people and unconstitutional income redistribution schemes.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

We in this country worked hard and smart for many years to get to where we were and we don't have to like what's going on.

No you didn't.

You were fortunate enough to be sitting on a whole load of oil, gas and coal whilst the remainder of the western world had bombed itself (with your help) to smithereens. And your elite, the really smart ones, they are alright.

The rest of you breeders are really exactly where you should be, once that advantage is taken away.

Get used to the fact that you are nothing special. Manifest Destiny is just a political slogan.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ReluctantShaman

We will agree to disagree. My family legally emigrated here in the early 1950s and we worked hard to get where we are. You know nothing about me. I didn't and don't buy into your manifest destiny chip on your shoulder. I wasn't here to make or influence the decisions then anymore than you were.

You're rude to begin with with your use of the word breeders in your condescending and arrogant tone. Hard working, honest Amercans aren't going to stand for your type of abuse anymore or take the fall for our corrupt and incompetant government either. Not anymore than you do for yours. It's been fashionable for decades to bash America and to expect Americans to bend over backwards for everyone else. Well no more
Sorry to disappoint you, trolly. Nice try though.

In addition, you are on ignore, so don't bother trolling here any longer. Start your own topics if that's your thing.

Now back to the topic. Today's concerns for today's Americans.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Here is another wage calculator, but it compares your wage with the rest of the world.

A bit eye opening really...

www.globalrichlist.com...

Holy Crap!

At 10,000 $ in a year, I am richer than over 5.5 BILLION HUMANS!!!

I am extremely grateful and thankful to be so lucky!

It would SUCK to be any of those other 5.5billion!!

Thank GOD!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I was just scanning the unemployment news, and it's actually looking like things are easing up in quite a few places. I've noticed the same thing around here even though it isn't in the news yet. Cross your fingers that this is the beginning of a trend.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
ha!! i make $.04 more than the living wage in my area!!

But, those rules do not apply to me because i am a freeloader who works full time and still lives at the parents house.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Here is another wage calculator, but it compares your wage with the rest of the world.

A bit eye opening really...

www.globalrichlist.com...

Holy Crap!

At 10,000 $ in a year, I am richer than over 5.5 BILLION HUMANS!!!

I am extremely grateful and thankful to be so lucky!

It would SUCK to be any of those other 5.5billion!!

Thank GOD!

i am the 742,043,035 richest person in the world.

I am in the top 12.36% of the world.

i make 14,400 USD a year.

wow, now i feel like a complete @$$hole.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Was she unemployed when she got pregnant?

If so, its their fault for being irresponsible.

No she wasn't and even if she was who are you to tell someone what's irresponsible to another? Huh? You aren't in their shoes. If you must know she was on the pill!

I am a taxpayer who would be forced to subsidize her irresponsible choice if she was accepted into the food stamp program.

Luckily she wasnt.

Wow you are a jerk. How is she irresponsible when she was on the PILL?! Yeah next time read before you speak.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yup I will be watching the launch from my balcony. I thought the last launch was in November?

This area to me is like Daytona Beach only smaller. There aren't any jobs here and a lot of places have been closing due to no business. I hope to be out of FL within the year, maybe sooner.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yup I will be watching the launch from my balcony. I thought the last launch was in November?

This area to me is like Daytona Beach only smaller. There aren't any jobs here and a lot of places have been closing due to no business. I hope to be out of FL within the year, maybe sooner.

my area of florida is doing fairly well in my opinion,
very few foreclosed homes, alot of business still up (although jobs are hard to find, but its possible ive found jobs.)

i live in 727 between st.pete and clearwater.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Statistically the pill is not a guarantee. To assume one cannot become pregnant because of birth control is irresponsible.

Would you play russian roulette with a 100 round cylinder if only one was loaded? Would you call someone who would responsible? I suppose relatively speaking it is a responsible thing to do. If the relative circumstances were such that you absolutely had to play a game of russian roulette.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Love your quote about great minds, it is on my wall and in my videos.
There is so much disinfo about wages and employment. I appreciate your thread showing how hard it is to make a living wage.
Why is such a basic subject turned into a complication? Yes, it used to be easy to graduate from HS and get a car and a job and a house with basic effort !
We have one bill that could be shut off now. This one, Internet. But I just applied at Home Depot for the 4th time on this Internet so I best keep it,lol.
We have a swamp cooler, wall heater, and the lowest rent in the area. And we are sinking. Next stop is Indiana, Oklahoma, or such. And I have no idea where to begin to move there on my own. But through this Internet I made a friend who may be going there.
That is the future for this one IT graduate/Mom/Administrator, we can't live in my home state anymore. What is next? Tent living is frowned upon !
love to all.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

Oklahoma is doing pretty ok right now, Our local government is a mess, but there are jobs to be had, not great ones mind you, but jobs. And cost of living is cheap with nice surroundings if you are in the eastern half of the state.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Wow, that was humbeling, I can't believe I'm in the top 95% of the richest people in the world, and I still can't pay my student loans off,

AND I DON'T MAKE AS MUCH AS HALF THE PEOPLE I KNOW!

Just for fun I eneterd $3.00 and that still didn't put me at the bottom. Some people truly have nothing (or at least nothing to do with money, the poorest people in the world must be surviving somehow), and that really gave me some perspective.

I have to say thanks for that.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

Thank you, Glue, that is a heartening thing ! Love the baby pic.
I am eager to start a new life again, have done it so many times before and it is always good, but heck, I am older and have pets and all my family's things; it is hard to make arrangements for them in a big move. But here in CA we are not gonna make it, so have to logick it out.
I am a country girl so it will work out, believe it or not CA is a big state and not all are holly-wood or LA types. lol.
Best to you !

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
For my county the living wage is $12.09
I make $12...
my rent is $500 [for a ROOM]
car $190
student loans $135

That right there is $825 a month...more than half my monthly paycheck...I also have credit cards and a cell phone, and not to mention groceries and gas...I am living paycheck to paycheck an have already had to borrow money from my parents and my fiancee

My fiancee makes $18/hour, has no student loans or car payment, and together at $30/hour we figured out we could not afford housing and may now postpone our wedding
realistically housing here is $1600/month for a two bedroom, 1300+ for a single...a few hundred more than the estimate on this website...oh yes there is cheaper housing but you'll be between two crack houses and be broken into every week.

[edit on 6/22/2010 by AnonymousMoose]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

Well...maybe a suggestion....

Everyone knows that the kids are staying home more and longer, as is our 20-year old son as he finishes college, and our semi-adopted daughter, also in college lives here too, and a friend with her daughter who had nowhere to go after a divorce.

So now, all told we have 5 people living in our home at any given time.Our home was large...too large I always maintained...and it wasn't selling when we tried to downsize, so we teamed up. I had reservations at first, but now I've read that more people are doing this all the time...two single moms with kids, six college students, divorced and separated couples who can't afford to maintain separate homes, and so on.

At college, my daughter stays with 5 others in the greatest house, with 6 bedrooms (okay one was a dining room they appropriated) and a pool and a hot tub for relative peanuts. And what's surprised me about the whole thing? It's really is kind of nice. Someone's always cooking for everyone or coming or going or putting in a garden. Mini-communes may be the wave of the future. Who knows. It's just something to think about.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join