It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuts, Cuts, Cuts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The British government has made an announcement about the cuts to save us all form economic death. This amounts to about £6 billion worth of cuts including things like holding health care projects and other funds to save small businesses. More cuts are on the way, they will be just as harsh but I think I can solve our economic problems without shafting the people. And pretty soon they are going to announce the emergency budget that’s going target us all. I have a few ideas on what they could sell and cut, to help ease the strain on the poor tax payer. I know they will never do any of this stuff but it would be nice.

First thing is to cancel the Olympics that would save about 10 billion

Sell the met office and Chanel four stakes earning 1.5 billion

Follow through browns plans to sell government assets 16 billion

Sell off motor way service stations £240 million

Savings on Mod budget of £5.4 billion

Suspend new aircraft carriers until economically viable saves 3.9 billion

Increase Vat to 17.5% earning 3.6 billion

Oh and one more thing don’t spend any of these saving and earning, everything goes towards reducing the national deficit I make it savings of about £36 billion in one year. This figure does not include any increases in taxes, money gained by cutting financial grants to devolved governments or any other savings the government implements. They are very harsh but if it works and keeps the hospital’s running and stops us turning into Greece then who cares.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown

First thing is to cancel the Olympics

Sell off motor way service stations

I like the first idea, but I'm confused about the second.
I don't think the government actually owns the motorway service stations.
I used to work on one, which was owned by THF at the time.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I checked it out, they own some of them and have investments in others. I was going to add selling of the shears in the banks however i couldn’t find any data about the value of those assets. In any case even if I am wrong it’s not allot of money compared to the rest of the stuff.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

First thing is to cancel the Olympics that would save about 10 billion

Sell the met office and Chanel four stakes earning 1.5 billion

Follow through browns plans to sell government assets 16 billion

Sell off motor way service stations £240 million

Savings on Mod budget of £5.4 billion

Suspend new aircraft carriers until economically viable saves 3.9 billion

Increase Vat to 17.5% earning 3.6 billion

The olympics will bring a lot of money in to the UK as well at lots being spent on it. Cancelling it wouldn't save us the amount you suggested as there is a huge amount of money being funnelled back in to the economy with things like building contracts, tourist industry, sponsorship deals...the list goes on.

I don't see how selling off the met office and stakes in Channel 4 are going to be a good thing other than short term (and relatively) small savings. This would be a big blow to the entertainment & media industry. The met office also brings in money so again, the figure isn't accurate.

I'm not sure what assets you are talking about but sounds like privatisation of public sectors and services?

How do you just cut that much out of MOD budget? Is that figure based on anything or plucked out of thin air? I'm guessing you don't have access to spending records and needs within the MOD.

Stop building aircraft carriers (or whatever) and you are again stopping a lot of money being channelled back in the economy. I'm sure less military spending would be good but imagine the number of contractors involved with building an aircraft carrier. Then there are the people who (probably) import and process the metal. There would be a lot of tax being paid by these companies. Stop them providing their service and then we get less tax and more unemployment and probably more benefits being claimed. So again your figure is useless.

VAT (the last time i looked) is 17.5%.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I checked it out, they own some of them and have investments in others.

OK, I stand corrected.
Also I know one journalist arguing vigorously that subsidising wind-farms is a waste of money. There could be a lot of scope for "cutting" in that kind of area.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
They aren't cutting the Olympics

That event will rake in billions in revenue not to mention further the NWO agenda.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Funny you talking about windfarms I have it on very good authority, as in someone who helps build wind turbines, that they are totally crap and the government only builds the thing to look green.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
You wouldn’t save much on the Olympics, the infrastructure is what is most costly (about £10bn) but most of that is already midway through build meaning even if you cancel the Olympics you would still have to either pay to finish the build or pay to demolish it all. The cost of actually holding the games is only £2bn and I believe a lot of them comes from private investors, ticket sales etc so not much savings there. What you will miss out on is the economic stimulus that the local areas will get.

Not sure about the met office or the motorway services but I agree about Channel 4.

What do you mean about saving £5.4 on the Mod (Ministry of Defence?) budget? Where would that come from?

Suspending the carriers wouldn’t save much either and would increase costs in the long run. The £3.9bn is the total cost of the carriers but significant amounts have already been spent and mothballing the current structure would cost extra; you would have to do something to retain skills otherwise restarting production would be too difficult. The majority of cost over runs in the MoD have come about because of pushing back projects in order to benefit from short term savings. The only real possibility that I see would be selling off either the first or second carrier, say to France in exchange for buying Rafales instead of F35s, and building a third for us a few years later. That would have the effect of delaying our carriers but without the expense.

I’m not sure what you mean about VAT, it already is 17.5%; do you mean 20%?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Cancelling Trident would save £65 billion over 30 years. Withdrawing from Afghanistan would save £3 billion per year.

Polls have shown that the majority of British people would actually welcome these savings. Bet we don't get them though.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by winston_jones

We need savings over 5 years though, not 30. And it’s not really true anyway unless you also want to totally cut the SSN fleet which could not be sustained with just 6/7 boats, we would need another four to keep a drum beat and so maintain design and production capabilities. You could cut Trident but you'd have to pay for four more Astutes.

And the majority want to bring back hanging but it doesn’t mean we should do it.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
V.A.T. receipts go straight to the EU, so no point in adding that to the mix.
Another cut in government spending would be all foreign aid not spent in this country, axe it (some foreign aid is spent here, buying water pumps, tractors, that kind of thing)
Get rid of the weird local government jobs like 'sand castle inspector' go to mail online 29/3/2010, "I never imagined the town hall Nazis would go quite so mad" by Richard Littlejohn, quite an eye opener.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

As a sovereign country with its own currency and central bank we don't actually have to make any cuts at all. Sovereign countries, unlike households or non-sovereign countries, are never revenue-constrained. These cuts are entirely political in their origin.

Having said that, I'm not sure there are great savings to be made by bringing back hanging.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by winston_jones
reply to post by Mike_A

As a sovereign country with its own currency and central bank we don't actually have to make any cuts at all. Sovereign countries, unlike households or non-sovereign countries, are never revenue-constrained.

Unfortunately we don't have independence from the laws of economics.
Cutting down on the habit of spending money we haven't got is good economic realism.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by winston_jones

Having said that, I'm not sure there are great savings to be made by bringing back hanging.

Depends who you hang.

Oh and ^ ditto

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
if you all lay down and beat yourselves untill you draw blood then that might do some good

Keep paying in more and more and all thats going to happen is the politicians and MP's bent freinds will get more money.

i'm taking bets that the deficit will be higher in a years time than it is now and it's currently running at something like £160bn p.a

selling motorway and infastructure is a bit like a tradesman selling his tools but we could always give the Queen to america not that i think they will want her or let them host the olympics because it's a fabrications that it draws in more money than it costs.

best get these cuts in early and when your screaming with pain the goverment can pretend to back off and let the bankers rise base rates from 0.5% that is lower than during the great depresion to reay make it hurt.

Do you think the shife of nottingham during robin hoods days took more than 50% of the corn because we are all already paying more than that today and will continue to do so untill people stand up and say no more.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
There are lots of things we can cut, but without the jobs for these people to go to, we are only creating an overburdened benefit system, and a loss of skills...

We need a wealth creation plan, one that creates more jobs in the private sector than those lost in the private sector... we also need to pull back some of the services that have been sold to the private sector, such as hospital cleaning etc.

Mostly without the new jobs and new industry all we will do is let the economy bleed more and more jobs, creating more and more dissent as the pain of repaying the debt is spread over a smaller and smaller workforce.

All in all we really need wealth creation...

[edit on 22/6/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

reply to post by Mike_A

As a sovereign country with its own currency and central bank we don't actually have to make any cuts at all. Sovereign countries, unlike households or non-sovereign countries, are never revenue-constrained. These cuts are entirely political in their origin.

What are you talking about ?

Sure we can print, print, print but so could zimbarwi and they will be doing plenty of that but the constraint is what you pay as interest on the currency to foriegn investors and at what rate is inflation running.

Sorry mate we don't have a money tree anymore now north sea oil has ran out but we can still ship slaves in from africa if that helps.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster

reply to post by Mike_A

What are you talking about ?

Welcome to the world of macroeconomics and monetary theory!

It is a common error to think that the economics of a nation is the same as the economics of an individual or a household.

If anyone is interested in this stuff I'd highly recommend the blog of Bill Mitchell, an Australian professor of economics. It is he who coined the phrase 'deficit terrorism' to describe the current global financial situation.

He takes great pains to explain in great detail the true nature of current global economics and finance. He can be very hard-going at times but the effort is well worth it. His blog is at: bilbo.economicoutlook.net...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Ive #ing had enough of being screwed at every opportunity. VAT going up to 20% is a #ing disgrace, its bad enough that our income is taxed, but to tax it AGAIN when we spend it is #ing evil and a scam, and to increase that tax even more?

I hate these jokers who run our country into the ground. They should all be tortured slowly and painfully and subject toevery single #ed up policy they have created to enslave and screw us.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Firefly_]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

If anything, please for the love of god stop commissioning Olympic crap... I was going to go to the London Olympics, but everything I see just makes me sick. Like that giant red.... tower.. spiral, thing .. no one knows what it is, some Indian fellow built it and it looks like @#%. Or your "mascots" .. scary as hell. Haven't seen much "British" about it so far, such random crap thrown together.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join