It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7th-Graders Discover Mysterious Cave on Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

7th-Graders Discover Mysterious Cave on Mars

news.yahoo.com

A group of seventh-graders in California has discovered a mysterious cave on Mars as part of a research project to study images taken by a NASA spacecraft orbiting the red planet.

The caves are thought to result from volcanic activity on the red planet. At some point lava channels likely carved out caverns in the rock, and then left behind tunnel, or "lava tubes," when the eruptions were over. They would have been covered when a solid ceiling of cooled material settled on top.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Yay! Congrats to these kids for their discovery. I hope there are future ATS members among them.

Its nice to be able to post a story with the number "seven" that doesn't involve "Seals of the Apocalypse" or similarly doom-y news. Something positive for a change: a reminder that sometimes the fresh perspectives of even the youngest observers can teach old dogs new tricks. And hope for the rising generations, too.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Good for those children. I'm sure it will inspire a lot of them to become scientists and that can only be seen as a good thing in my book. It's funny how a single event during childhood can easily shape a child's life.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Lucky kids! Better than the ant farm used in my science class. They've just released the images from their cave search. Looks like some kind of strange rock formation. Maybe stalagmites?

A Link

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Uhm...if I didn't know any better I would think this photo is from Dune or some sci-fi movie.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Oh someone will just say its dust or rock formations, just like my plumes thread I started years ago.

Poor kids.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Haha, that's pretty sweet, if it's true. Lord knows I wasn't successfully exploring other planets at that age.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I was coming in here expecting the usual tirades that accompany ET type stuff and UFOs... but this is a good surprise. It means that Mars is more complicated than what we thought. I'm not quite sure if there have been other caves discovered on other planets- but if this is the first- that's pretty cool. I don't know... it sounds neat!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I made a thread on this topic yesterday.

Here is a link it has a photo of the cave and the thread also has some info on The Seven Sisters. A group of caves that were previously discovered on mars.

Some were more than 800 feet wide and 400 feet deep!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
looks just like that odd animal in star wars who gets fed with people thrown from those flying car things...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienesque
looks just like that odd animal in star wars who gets fed with people thrown from those flying car things...

A sucker born every minute, eh?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Originally posted by alienesque

A sucker born every minute, eh?

hahaha..its early here..
..i havnt had my coffee yet..

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Duplicate, kind of.

Edit: It actually seems like it's a double duplicate, i beat you both to it. Not that it's a race or anything.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

The way scientists are dropping like flies lately, they should look into a safer profession.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Duplicate, kind of.

Edit: It actually seems like it's a double duplicate, i beat you both to it. Not that it's a race or anything.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by pazcat]

Ah so you did but my thread had some other info also so it's still legit

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The children might want to put in a gold strike claim as I am
confident of gold in extinct volcano peaks and associated
underground magma tunnels.
Check it out.

Victorio Peak

Only one example you say.
The government can sell me a volcano peak cheap anytime of the
week.
Unfortunately we will never go to Mars so the 7th graders better
look out west. (Where the gold of the Spanish and Ancient world
of Salomon's Mines came from.)

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I am quite curious as to what would be in a Mars cave.

I imagine, that a cave on mars is probably hosting some sort of life.

Maybe not intelligent life, but I gurantee you, something is living inside of Mars.

What if they find Human skelleton remains?

Would NASA release such information?

I doubt it, but I bet we'll eventually get some cool pictures.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
"looks just like that odd animal in star wars who gets fed with people thrown from those flying car things..."

car things? animal?

Try sail barges / Sarlaac. =)

It never ceases to amaze me that there are people in the civilized world that have never seen star wars. And don't get on me about being a star wars nerd. This is rudimentary stuff that Joe-scifi-fan would know.

On the other hand, I AM one of those people that can tell you the name of a Next Gen Trek episode from seeing a few frames of it.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by an0maly33]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by silent thunder

Lucky kids! Better than the ant farm used in my science class. They've just released the images from their cave search. Looks like some kind of strange rock formation. Maybe stalagmites?

A Link

Where is that image from? The Kevin Bacon movie, Tremors?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Where is that image from? The Kevin Bacon movie, Tremors?

Might be sarcasm on some peoples part but... dang, has it come to this, that people DONT recognise a scene from a Star Wars Movie?.. and one of the original three to boot?

Although a star for mentioning Tremors... love that film
and its sequel (but not the third one
)

Nice find from the kids though, although how do they know with certainty its volcanic in origin?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join