It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Civilizations, Could they cause mass histeria?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
What would the result be if,it was generally believed that some highly advanced civilization - one completely beyond our reach or understanding in any technical or intellectual sense - is visiting our planet. Assume further that "they" are doing mysterious things for unknown reasons. Now, although I believe this could well be true/ I am not making the argument that this is true. I am asking for your thoughts on the implications if this were true, and if it were generally known..

I am also wondering if all of you philosophy types agree with the conclusions of the government study from the late sixties. I can dig this up if needed and I forget the exact details for the moment, but basically, the conclusions reached were that if ET is here, and if people knew it, all sorts of horrible things would happen as indicated by the title of this thread. Considering that recent polls claim that more than half of all Americans believe ET is here, I wonder if any basis is found for these earlier conclusions. Perhaps the reality of ET would be a far cry from opinions expressed in random polls?

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Guess noone wants to post

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
They can to maniacs who are obsessive over thinking that they will kill us. I think they would be rather passive, because if they have the technology to get to the Earth they would probably already have had weapons of mass destruction and if they hadn' blown the !@#$%$3 out of themselves then why would they to us, unless we were seen as a threat

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Even if they didnt mean to harm us do you think taht people would remain calm, or go crazy?

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Go Crazy. I think that most people have it in their minds that aliens are little green guys with really big guns. If a human with a really big gun was pointing it at my head I'd freak out too. I just figure that they aren't hellbent on blowning civilization to bits

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
If people claim they are already visiting us and 'here', this means they are pretty quiet and elusive, as we don't see much in regards to E.T, except for the abduction cases.

Assuming they are here already, there is obviously no change in the way we are operating our lives, or changes to religion, etc.

If they are here, they are consorting with groups out of the public eye, secret societies perhaps.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Given the times that the public has rioted when they realize that government has overstepped its powers, I am fairly sure that ET revelation will have a similar effect. This is perhaps the grandaddy of all lies the government has given us. The probable extreme impact of culture shock coupled with the realization that government has been lying for decades will likely cause quite spectacular public displays of outrage and violence.

[edit on 12-6-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
AS for polls, I really nevered paid much attention to them, and they can been manipulated to fit an agenda...

If the Aliens for some decided to land and make them selves known. It would be very hard to predict what would actually happend. How would the world's religous communities re-act? Could society as whole handle knowing the truth? Would we see a rise in sucide rates? What about the econmic impact on the global economy? And how would the worlds goveronments react? These questions really have no easy answer and it is extermely hard to actually comprehend what would happen.

It's one thing to say that you believe in E.T's, but it's another to actually have to deal with this type of revelation.

Hopefullly, their purpose would not to be "To Serve Man".

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I dubt we would go Crazy around(I wouldnt and I dont know any person who would) I think all of us would joust be High Shocked for a while... then after that while it would joust be a new normal thing in our lifes.
Some poeple could beleive they where angels/GOD or something.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I think that there would be mass hysteria, people who believe in aliens have different views on why they are here. SOme might see an alien race who has an obvious technological advantage coming for the sole reason of enslavement, conquering, or whatever else. The only other reason would be if they wanted to help us, and I'm sure many people would believe in that as well. Then there would be smaller groups of people who believe they are God or some prophet and possibly kill themselves. But even those who believe in aliens would still be shocked by their presence. And the ones who would start rioting and looting would have their actions perpetuated by those who simply want to join in with all the rioting and looting not even dependent on the fact that aliens are here.
There would be short term hysteria followed by a long period of peace in which we communicate and share with them assuming they dont want to enslave us.
But if they came here just to say hello...then, I think, it already happened and the government is covering it up.
It would be funny though if there were some alien hooligans who took it upon themselves to make a tumult on Earth like as an intergalactic joke to the stupid humans.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
A large percent of humans are not ready accept that there are other civilizations on the universe, and that means that they will react with violence because they will think they are coming to hurt us and not to help us, and I think the aliens are more afraid of us mostly because in a way we would react.

[edit on 13-6-2004 by Spain]

[edit on 13-6-2004 by Spain]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Still though, it would be a good idea to conduct human contact with an Alien race very carefully, keeping in mind all possibilities. Assuming that their non hostile would be just as bad assuming they are. Their concepts of peace may be very different than ours and their method of war as well. More than likely the point made earlier is true. There are still to many people who would not be able to rationalize Alien existence and would react violently perhaps sparking a real war in a very unstable situation. Especially if they had some kind of influence on our history and or evolution many may not be able to accept this. Rationalism would have to prevail.

[edit on C:Sunocu06e6 by Opus]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Damn wouldnt it suck if there was some kind of contact and our governments screwed thing up.
"OK see you human agian in another 1000 years, that is you don't detroy your selves."

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Do you think the alien civilisations (if any) have these sorts of discussions amoungst themselves? I mean, do you think that they're sitting around at their version of the internet asking each other "What do you think would happen if we found out that we had foreigners already here on our planet?"

And do you think that the earliest alien civilisation (again, if any) were having these discussions before any other civilisation existed? For all we know, we could very well be the first intelligent lifeforms and all this worry is over nothing. I personally don't believe that, but what if?

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I think that I would cause panic seeing how most of the population of the world believes in one god or another. Also I want to tie this into bible propachies. That they shall decend from heaven in charriots of fire, also the collapse of the vatican will be the sign of the antichirst.So I think that would cause some major fear and panic.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tim356
Do you think the alien civilisations (if any) have these sorts of discussions amoungst themselves? I mean, do you think that they're sitting around at their version of the internet asking each other "What do you think would happen if we found out that we had foreigners already here on our planet?"

Nah, I reckon that aliens have discussions about, "how are these backwater primates gonna deal with the revelation that we're here? What, badly you say? OK, covert ops it is."
For example, the contact division of the Culture, in Iain M BAnks.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Than in that case, than we must try to ensure survivel of our species and planet. If we destroy our selves than life may never get another chance to evolve to our level. A technological level of being capable of protecting the planet from such hazards as asteroids. There for we can one day bring life to other places in the Universe. Heck it might be argued that it is our genetic prerogative, like all life, life must spread life.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The problem is that most people are not ready for something like aliens being real and seeing it on the "God Box", oops-TV. Look at peoples reaction to the war of the worlds radio show.
It has been my pet theory that the government(s) of the world are slowly getting the population as a whole ready for the big announcement. I have noticed a sharp increase in ufo/alien shows on tv-real or just sci-fi. I feel This is being done to get people comfortable with the idea (this method is used to help get people over their fears of certain things like snakes/spiders....) of them being real.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
IMO (encompassing a number of comments previously), I believe the panic or mass hysteria really depends on the government's disclosure:

If the government says:

1) Yes, there really are ufos and they seem to be piloted by intelligence, we need to investigate. Some initial panic, then life goes on (assuming no further interfence in our lives by ufos)

2) Yes (as above) and we have recovered crashed ufos. More panic, but then life goes on. However, if we have re-engineered their technology and can use it - might cause the industry and ecomony to be in turmoil...

3) Yes (as above) and we are in contact with them. Higher level of panic, diminishing if shown benevolent.

4) Yes, and they are abducting people. Plenty of panic and mass hysteria.

If the government has no control and an alien civilization were really to land and contact us - a big question mark regarding our reaction, because how we react will be totally up to them and their intentions...

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Well, If they are hostile i dont think the human race can handle them!
Now iam not saying"oh no they going to invade" This is just a "what if" statement

top topics

<<   2 >>

join