It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple collecting, sharing iPhone users' precise locations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Apple collecting, sharing iPhone users' precise locations

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Apple Inc. is now collecting the "precise," "real-time geographic location" of its users' iPhones, iPads and computers.

In an updated version of its privacy policy, the company added a paragraph noting that once users agree, Apple and unspecified "partners and licensees" may collect and store user location data.

An increasing number of iPhone apps ask users for their location, which is then used by the application or even uploaded to the app's maker.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I know that many will say "so what?" or "I've got nothing to hide"

You're missing the point. Your location is a fundamental issue of privacy. By what legitimate purpose does Apple or Google want or need this information? If they desire it to improve service, why no "opt in" clause?

The business of collecting this information is nefarious. The data will be deemed an issue of national security at some point and will be handed over to the federal government, to the extent that it has not already been handed over.

Every one of these firms are violating our privacy and yet we continue to use their service.

Last week they are suggesting that you show id to purchase a disposable cell phone. This week it's OK to read your e-mail, this week the French are going to sue Google for collecting e-mail passwords via their Streetview data collection.

At some point it will go to far and the "who cares" people will begin to shout. By then it will be too late.

It seems that the only time you have a right to privacy in this country is when you're going in for an abortion.

latimesblogs.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I have been an active iPhone supporter for years.

The location feature is used for storing information such as where a photo was taken, or it takes your location so it can point you to the closest petrol station.

Could the government get their hands on this information if they wanted to? Of course.

But, I must add, that any phone will give up your GPS location if the government needs it. This isn't anything new with iPhone.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The thing that gets me is that they wouldn't tell me where my iphone, that was still being used at time, was when it was stolen a month ago (I didn't have MobileMe on it). I guess it's all in who's asking for it.
That's one area that this technology could have been used for good but, because I didn't want to pay for the "service", it wasn't available to me as the customer.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Thats one of the many reasons why I will never purchase or use any apple product.
Overpriced rubbish with limited usefulness. Not to mention that you americans are a good 10 years behind on mobile phone technology there in the states compared to europe and asia.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I keep my location Services off for that very reason. Make them work a little harder to get your position. Keep a tin can in your vehicle and if you want privacy, put the phone in the tin can and put the lid on. I also tried wrapping my iphone with tin foil and that works too.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlSayr
I also tried wrapping my iphone with tin foil and that works too.

Apparently wrapping your head in tin foil will stop the phone from feasting on your psychic energy too, you might want to try it, a sort of 'hat' made from tin foil.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well, I'm sure if RIM or any other country made such a solid device they would probably be doing this as well.

You know that Apple sells less devices because they are well built right?

The average RIM user will go through one unit a year, Iphone users 1 every 3.

As somebody else pointed out, it's just data mining for more information. Facebook does the same thing.

Actually, everything you do on the internet or in any sort of social network is logged and sold to the highest bidder.

Except ATS.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
GOOD! I hope they are since I have been trying to update to iOS4 all afternoon and it just stays on the backup iPhone stage.......CRAAAAAAP!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Sense says...
GOOD! I hope they are since I have been trying to update to iOS4 all afternoon and it just stays on the backup iPhone stage.......CRAAAAAAP!

You won't be able to update until at least a week after the release if you have the 3GS.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Yea right.. Thats why my se p910i still works perfect after 8 years use, my se k750i works perfect after 5 years use, my htc touch works perfect after 5 years use and my w910i works perfect after 2 years use , my htc legend that just got does more than the idiot phone ever will and does it better. I have several japanese phones as well that all work better and faster along with are built better than the idiot phone. All apple is good at is marketing and stealing tech they stole the tech for the ipod from creative technologies pvt. Ltd. Singapore and lost in court over it.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The average RIM user will go through one unit a year, Iphone users 1 every 3.

Unless Apple comes out with a new iPhone more often and they rush out to get the newest edition. I have several friends that are the crazy Apple junkies that have to have the newest thing the second it comes out.

To tell you the truth, this isn't anything different than what is already going on. I would think that anything (phone, car, whatever) that has a GPS/GPS-type function could be used to gather data about where people are going. Add that to data mining things on places like Facebook and the general feeling of "I must share every single detail about my life!!1!" that people have, and it isn't that hard for someone (say, the government) to get a lot of information about someone.

Doesn't make it right, though.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I did say average friend.

I know this because my business specializes in cell phone insurance, we file over 140 thousand claims a day for all manner of cell phones.

Comparing a North American cell phone to a European or Asian phone is just SILLY.

Everybody knows the asian market and the european market have MUCH BETTER phones, both in design and capabilities.

Iphone is the best built phone for North America, is what I was saying. Manufacturer return rates are currently sitting at roughly 15-20% for the Iphone.

Compare that to the 45-65% return for all other manufacturers.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No worries.. Forgot that the choices are limited there on available mobiles apologies.. To used to the tech over here.. Use my mobile to do everything on dont own pc so am bit particular when I get one.. Lol its the only modern tech I do use otherwise I live very simply.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Not only do they collect your GPS coordinates, but also the cell tower id, and the SSID of any access points you are near. What's next? Snag a quick picture from the camera, or record a snippet of audio and collect that as well?

www.eweek.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Thats one of the many reasons why I will never purchase or use any apple product.
Overpriced rubbish with limited usefulness. Not to mention that you americans are a good 10 years behind on mobile phone technology there in the states compared to europe and asia.

The U.S. is hardly 10 years behind, but they are behind...but you have to factor in a restrictive FCC that just now opened up new bands, and Europe having a smaller area with more concentrations of population. When you speak of Asia...you mean like 10% of Asia (Japan, Taiwan, South Korea...mostly), since the rest would be considered by most to still be 3rd world.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlSayr
I keep my location Services off for that very reason. Make them work a little harder to get your position. Keep a tin can in your vehicle and if you want privacy, put the phone in the tin can and put the lid on. I also tried wrapping my iphone with tin foil and that works too.

You can't turn your location services off, you can only restrict your phones software from knowing your location (such as Google maps), the other setting is "911 On-location" or a similar name which is on at all times.

new topics

top topics

join