It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melbourne,,Aust massive man hunt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Yesterday 21/6/2010,all over the news Melb was almost in lockdown mode as they searched for a Gunman,glad i moved to the country! Police and swat all over the place.
Lot of stuff in the msm,easily found but hears the latest.

A violent gunman on the loose after a string of robberies and a wild car chase along a Melbourne freeway remains at large despite a massive manhunt.

David Paul Rowntree, 19, allegedly stole two cars and committed three aggravated burglaries and an armed robbery early on Monday.

Rowntree, described last year by a judge as "devious" and "out of control", gave police the slip after a high-speed chase along the Monash Freeway and was later seen brandishing a shotgun near the MCG, forcing a three-hour lockdown of Melbourne's sports precinct.

Friends of the teen have expressed their concern for him on the social networking site Facebook.

One friend said of the manhunt: "jus as yu were doing soo good with yurself, yu manage to go downhill all over again
"

In response, another friend opined: "plus the media make him out like a bad ass" in reference to the extensive media coverage of the alleged criminal spree.

Superintendent Rod Wilson said Rowntree has an extensive criminal history and, although he is believed to have dumped a shotgun in a bin near Rod Laver Arena, could get his hands on more firearms.

"I'd consider him to be extremely dangerous," he told reporters.

"We ask for people if you have any information, this is really critical, to ring the police because we desperately need to bring this person into custody.

"We are not ruling out that he may have access to other firearms."

When asked if police were worried about Rowntree being involved in a shootout, he replied: "That is something we are obviously fearful of and that's why we are making this appeal.

"We're extremely concerned that this chap may choose to end this in an unsavoury way and we don't want that to happen."

Rowntree was last spotted at 9.40am (AEST), when an elderly couple saw him with a shotgun running across a footbridge between Hisense Arena and the MCG.

Police had put the area into lockdown, closing roads, preventing any trains from going through Richmond station and forcing staff and members of the public in the area to stay indoors, after finding his stolen Commodore dumped in a car park behind Rod Laver Arena.

Supt Wilson said police have tried to contact Rowntree on his mobile phone but to no avail.

Police were also contacting his family, who have been urged to encourage Rowntree to hand himself in peacefully.
Anyone with information about Rowntree should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1800 333 000 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

au.news.yahoo.com...

Blackjack??!!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Hunt for 'extremely dangerous' suspect continues

www.news.com.au...

THE teenager who brandished a shotgun in Melbourne's sports precinct after a wild freeway car chase had been released from a youth jail just 12 weeks ago.

In March Rowntree, once described as a devious and out-of-control serial offender, was released from a stretch in juvenile detention for burning down a house he'd burgled, in order to destroy his fingerprints. The arson was committed one month after his release from custody for other crimes.

The police and court system have a lot to answer for here.

MM

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This is actually a very sad story. To be so young and in such crisis...

I do hope they catch him before he hurts anyone. I do also hope and pray that he's not killed.

It makes it more personal when they quote friends.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I rather wish him luck!

I mean, he DID manage to elude the police after a car chase and a minor crime wave. Perhaps he should escape into the Outback, raise a merry band of miscreants and live a long and happy Robin Hood existance whilst periodically taunting the police with his daring-do!

Oops! Must have suffered an uncharacteristic twinge of romance.......

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Tholidor]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I more than agree with you here. It is sad that he had such support from friends, and still did what he did.

But on the other side of the story, my son was a victim of violence in his school. It got dragged through the Youth Justice System. (took 10 months...). The child was refused entry to Secondary School at his previous school for violence.

The child who attacked mine had been back at school for 2 days from an 8 week 'exclusion'. He has friends who are proud of what he did. The only reason the kid went to the Youth Justice Conference is because his mother bribed him with a packet of cigarettes.

I think that more resources are needed to help these people. They are lost, completely.

MM

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Yes he has managed to elude police so far,after bringing melb almost to a stand still!
Wont be long before they get him,weather thats dead or alive is another question.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I missed that.

I miss alot of the news, too depressing.

Have they found him yet?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceblue20-12
Rowntree, described last year by a judge as "devious" and "out of control", gave police the slip after a high-speed chase along the Monash Freeway and was later seen brandishing a shotgun near the MCG, forcing a three-hour lockdown of Melbourne's sports precinct.

Haha

What a little legend that bloke is.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifecitizen
I missed that.

I miss alot of the news, too depressing.

Have they found him yet?

No not yet,if he is smart he will not use any technology,as soon as he does they will get him.At 19, now the most wanted!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by iceblue20-12

Well it really depends how much he got from those robberies.

As long as he doesn't start drawing the dole or using a bank account or mobile/house phone he should be right. I reckon his family will turn him in but.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Thanks IceBlue.

what does this have to do with Blackjack (excuse my ignorance)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Nice how all the gun control laws down there are working so good.

Wonder how many more guns he has or will get before they stop him

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Thanks IceBlue.

Just a stir thats all.Something big was supposed to happen yesterday according to the blackjack conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Nice how all the gun control laws down there are working so good.

Wonder how many more guns he has or will get before they stop him

Its like anything else anywhere in the world,if you have the money and know the people you can get anything,not all guns are illegal here,you can still buy anything that is not automatic or semi automatic.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceblue20-12

Thanks IceBlue.

Just a stir thats all.Something big was supposed to happen yesterday according to the blackjack conspiracy.

ahhh okay, stir away

Am I dead and dont know it, lol

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

He had a shotgun.

Most shotguns aren't banned here in Australia.

Only semi and full automatic ones are.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Latest from yahoo,

Whittlesea Secondary College north of Melbourne is in lockdown after a reported sighting of alleged gunman David Paul Rowntree.

Police have swooped on the township after Rowntree, 19, was believed to have been seen in the Whittlesea area in the vicinity of Plenty Road on Tuesday.

A spokeswoman for the school told AAP that the 800 students have been confined to their classrooms.

"The school is in lockdown on the advice of the police and emergency management," she said.

"We are following the procedure of lockdown and that means the students are locked in and nobody can get in and nobody can get out."

Rowntree eluded a massive police manhunt on Monday after allegedly stealing two cars and committing three aggravated burglaries and an armed robbery.

He gave police the slip after a high-speed chase along the Monash Freeway and was later seen brandishing a shotgun near the MCG, forcing a three-hour lockdown of Melbourne's sports precinct.

Meanwhile, Victorian Premier John Brumby has criticised the independent Youth Parole Board for granting the early release of Rowntree after he was sentenced to three years' youth detention.

Mr Brumby said the parole board had erred in its decision to release Rowntree early.

"They took the view that he was ready for release and they let him out after 12 months, obviously the judgment, I think, was misplaced and he's reoffended," Mr Brumby told Fairfax Radio.

"The person concerned is dangerous, police have got a very large contingent out looking for him and they obviously hope to apprehend him at the earliest opportunity."

Mr Brumby said he was expecting a report on why Rowntree was granted early release.

When sentenced last November, the Victorian County Court had heard Rowntree's long list of offences included arson, criminal damage, handling stolen goods, car theft, burglary and theft.
AAP is seeking comment from the Youth Parole Board.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
My only worry IS that where did he get the weapon? From the parents? Neighbours? Friends? And does he have any experience to use the weapon? A 19 year old out smarting the police and the system? Me thinking of watching the movie, The Blues Brothers.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Got him.

Police have confirmed the teenage gunman allegedly at the centre of yesterday's security lockdown around the MCG has been taken into custody.

Police have been searching for David Rowntree, 19, since he was allegedly seen armed with a shotgun in the MCG precinct after a high-speed chase yesterday.

Heavily armed police descended on Whittlesea, north of Melbourne, this afternoon after an unconfirmed sighting of a man matching the description of the 19-year-old.

Police say he was arrested about 2:45pm (AEST).

Link,www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Am I the only one who found this suspicious, in that it totally diverted attention away from the massive corruption stories involving Victoria police that have been running in The Australian the last 2 and-a-half weeks that nobody else wants to report.

Also, I was watching the live news feed on Sky News (not so credible), none-the-less they reported that the police had him, he some how got away from them, and fired at police.

All three of those facts were retracted - perhaps they were fabrications to begin with, but, I still think it was a little suspect in timing and scale.

Maybe, Maybe not...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join