It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto GM seed ban is "overturned" by US Supreme Court: A Tale Of Two Spins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Environmentalists had argued that there might be a risk of cross-pollination between genetically modified plants and neighbouring crops. They also argued over-use of the company's weedkiller Roundup, the chemical treatment the alfalfa is modified to be resistant to, could cause pollution of ground water and lead to resistant "super-weeds". But Monsanto says claims its products were dangerous amounted to "bad science fiction with no support on the record".

Because to do a large scale study to get support on this would surely run the risk of unleashing exactly what they fear could happen?

Maybe someone can clear this one up for me... Perhaps it's not specifically unsafe, potentially very safe, but an untested technology now does not have to meet safety requirements? We are already floundering utterly in the Gulf of Mexico with something which after two months still seems to be beyond our means to fix. And now we have a batch of concerns being written off as science fiction? I don't think this is the right time to brush people's arguments off as "science fiction".

[edit] It turns out the BBC didn't have the full story, and that in fact they are allowed to sell it BUT it cannot be planted or the resulting product sold.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by J.Clear]

[edit on 22-6-2010 by J.Clear]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Clear

Our Supreme court is insane They are not for us anymore but for big business.

Back when Monsanto was trying to get this past the EPA, they said on video to Bush SR. that they were having trouble getting past the EPA and he said on video "contact my office we are in the deregulation business" in other words it went into production without going through the proper channels and no one really knows if it safe or not.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The fact that Monsanto's own cafeterias are "GM - FREE" is all the "study" that I think needs to be done.

Makes you wonder, why they go out of their way to ensure that their own people aren't consuming their own products...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The studies are there with the bovine growth whoremoan and it being passed in our milk. the only problem is when fox tried to point it out, the reporters were fired and fox dropped anything negative for "legal issues".

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
reply to post by J.Clear

Our Supreme court is insane They are not for us anymore but for big business.

Back when Monsanto was trying to get this past the EPA, they said on video to Bush SR. that they were having trouble getting past the EPA and he said on video "contact my office we are in the deregulation business" in other words it went into production without going through the proper channels and no one really knows if it safe or not.

I actually find that properly terrifying. There's nowhere that kind of thinking can stop if it's allowed that free reign.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
The fact that Monsanto's own cafeterias are "GM - FREE" is all the "study" that I think needs to be done.

Makes you wonder, why they go out of their way to ensure that their own people aren't consuming their own products...

Leaving aside even that fact, it's more than even the different effects after consumption this could have compared to a non-GM, it's the effect that introducing them into an ecosystem will have. Like, large country-sized scale experiment. I don't think you can replicate that, and now they're going to dive right into it.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
The studies are there with the bovine growth whoremoan and it being passed in our milk. the only problem is when fox tried to point it out, the reporters were fired and fox dropped anything negative for "legal issues".

Is this story being covered in US media? I got it from the BBC..

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Here's something from the Huff Post with quite a different spin...I'm about to read it.

Ahh...

And, while the High Court ruled in favor of Monsanto by reversing an injunction that was part of the lower court's decision, more importantly, it also ruled that the ban on GMO alfalfa remains intact, and that the planting and sale of GMO alfalfa remains illegal.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Hmm, so do the BBC have it wrong? You link doesn't seem to want to work for me..

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Clear

Sorry...link fixed. Doesn't seem like they have it wrong...just incomplete.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Very interesting! I'm going to sleep now but I'll check the story in the morning to see if the BBC have the rest of the details then. Thread closed, I guess

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
So GMO alfalfa is illegal to grow and to sell ... and Monsanto is saying this is a great victory and they will start selling seeds to farmers ... apparently not illegal.

What a bunch of scumbags.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Allow me to change the title. This topic now becomes about the battle of the spin... that's hilarious if they are claiming it as a victory.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Seven Indian farmers per day commit suicide by drinking the pesticides that are used on Bt crops. Over 25,000 have committed suicide since 1997. They sell their organs to pay off their debt and restore their family name. Any questions about GM crops should be answered by the large scale experiment going on in India.

www.pbs.org...

Wow more than 200,00 farmers have committed suicide according to Vandana Shiva, councilor for the World Future Council in this more recent interview from 2009.

www.voltairenet.org...

[edit on 21-6-2010 by BrianInRI]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Here are some very bad news about monsanto Round up after 20 years.

Roundup resistant weeds pose environmental threat,

When the weed killer Roundup was introduced in the 1970s, it proved it could kill nearly any plant while still being safer than many other herbicides, and it allowed farmers to give up harsher chemicals and reduce tilling that can contribute to erosion.

But 34 years later, a few sturdy species of weed resistant to Roundup have evolved, forcing farmers to return to some of the less environmentally safe practices they abandoned decades ago.

The situation is the worst in the South, where some farmers now walk fields with hoes, killing weeds in a way their great-grandfathers were happy to leave behind. And the problem is spreading quickly across the Corn Belt and beyond, with Roundup now proving unreliable in killing at least 10 weed species in at least 22 states. Some species, like Palmer amaranth in Arkansas and water hemp and marestail in Illinois, grow fast and big, producing tens of thousands of seeds.

www.mediacomtoday.com...

Round up is the same crap that they Genetically engineer in their seeds but with doses that will kill humans eventually

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
here is a good artcile on monsanto and how far they will go.note pay close attention to the last few paragraphs on page 5. see the names that are connected to monsanto

[www.vanityfair.com...

just tried my link and get proforming maintance, please try again.
dont make sense, i still had the tab open from where i checked to make sure it was there less than a minute before posted link. gonna copy the page just in case they try to remove it. i just dont trust them

i think i fixed link now, at least it opens, for me try it.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by hounddoghowlie]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Phew, I'm so glad the BBC article was incomplete. I just read it and came here to see if any threads popped up, and if anyone was as outraged as I was. That article was such a spin, had me fuming
Thank god GM alfalfa is still banned; IMO just heading down the GM route instead of developing different agricultural techniques to increase yields with natural species is a lazy cop out. And with companies as aggressive as Monsanto it's just plain scary. Maybe if we focused on eliminating poverty (By we, I mean Humans in general), and farmers in countries like India could afford more modern and efficient machinery and equipment. And the local infrastructure and irrigation systems could be improved, they wouldn't have to buy GM crops that are drought resistant in the first place. But that's the easy short term solution, and I guess the cheapest. People need to focus more on the long term.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by 29083010384959
Phew, I'm so glad the BBC article was incomplete. I just read it and came here to see if any threads popped up, and if anyone was as outraged as I was. That article was such a spin, had me fuming
Thank god GM alfalfa is still banned; IMO just heading down the GM route instead of developing different agricultural techniques to increase yields with natural species is a lazy cop out. And with companies as aggressive as Monsanto it's just plain scary. Maybe if we focused on eliminating poverty (By we, I mean Humans in general), and farmers in countries like India could afford more modern and efficient machinery and equipment. And the local infrastructure and irrigation systems could be improved, they wouldn't have to buy GM crops that are drought resistant in the first place. But that's the easy short term solution, and I guess the cheapest. People need to focus more on the long term.

Exactly. The link to the story of those farmers in India is a very tragic example of this..

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
As of this morning (here time), BBC still have just the "allowed to sell" angle without the secondary part of the ban remaining on planting...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
dam i thought i was the first to find this obviously not.

good old search function.

well guess ill post the comment from the thread i almost made...

this is just madness. we know GM crops are bad monsanto being the big daddy of this killer industry.

and now commen sence has gone out the window. why let them use untested products.

im guessing becuase they will fail any longterm tests. on the animals eating it.

cross pollination of natural crops.

damage way down the food chain etc etc.

this is sickening.

top topics

join