It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we missing the message?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I just saw this on MSN. I figured that I would share it:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Do we overlook alien beacons?
Signals from E.T. may be just as transient as Jupiter comets

By Ray Villard

updated 8:12 a.m. MT, Mon., June 21, 2010
Last week Hubble Space Telescope images definitively showed that the bright flash of light seen on Jupiter was simply a meteor. Albeit, a blinding bright meteor to be seen across 400 million miles of interplanetary space. As reported by Ian O’Neill, Hubble failed to find any telltale debris as seen in Jupiter comet and asteroid impacts.

Now Hubble astronomers tell us that Jupiter super-meteors might be detectable as frequently every few days. Australian amateur astronomer Anthony Wesley just got lucky because he was viewing a video transmission of Jupiter when the brilliant flash appeared.

What do you all think?

MOD NOTE and EDIT: Please read: Starting a New Thread?

(This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

EDIT: Added a snippet of the article and proper external sourcing tags.

[edit on June 21st 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I really would not care for these things. There is no way on earth humans run planet earth fact.

On topic go and watch carl sagan little blue dot on youtube, and i think you will get the answer to your question.

I would suggest the nsa already know about what that article is about.Seti i would suggest is nothing compared to what the nsa are doing.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Obinhi

I've thought about this quite a lot....how do we know what 'wavelengths' to send or look for these signals in?. SETI is a good idea but has many flaws because its near impossible to know how any signal would be sent to us, if there are any.

Was a good read OP, makes you think.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Yes. Until we begin scanning for faster-than-light ET messages... then we are missing their messages. SETI does not scan for modulated zero-point field messages.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
I really would not care for these things. There is no way on earth humans run planet earth fact.

On topic go and watch carl sagan little blue dot on youtube, and i think you will get the answer to your question.

I would suggest the nsa already know about what that article is about.Seti i would suggest is nothing compared to what the nsa are doing.

I'm not sure if I get what you are saying.

I for one am hopeing that we are the first race into space. I think it would be awesome if my spawn are, at some point in the future, the UFO's of some one else.
Note to Mod: Sorry about the flawed OP, my kids went nuts as soon as I started so I just hit the post button, I will try not to make it a trend.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
Yes. Until we begin scanning for faster-than-light ET messages... then we are missing their messages.

How does one scan for faster than light ET messages? How does one ascertain that the message is in fact traveling faster than the speed of light? How do you know that aliens transmit data this way and that we are missing them?

SETI does not scan for modulated zero-point field messages.

How do we do interface with a 'zero point field'? Any ideas? And why would we scan them, given that they even existed in the first place? What makes you think aliens would use such a technology? Can you give us a rationale?

I see no evidence for either.

IRM

[edit on 22/6/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
The biggest argument I can make FOR scanning the LF-HF radio bands is simply that those bandwidths are common as a byproduct of many processes we know to associate with a technologically advanced society.

Yes, there is the possibility that they are all using something else, completely, and perhaps that they don't use any form of electromagnetism and never have. We may be the oddballs of the universe.

However, it is really the only thing we have to go on.

Anything else is simply guessing.

We could observe the behavior of a bunch of electrons in a 'fluttering' logic gate and look for an intelligible signal. Afterall, maybe the "random" behavior of subatomic particles is really a side-effect of alien communication, power, or other technology. The problem is that we'd have no idea WHAT to look for within it - we can't distinguish it from the background (and, as some research would suggest, from some freaky observer bias).

Maybe they have no FTL communications, and simply exchange information in person. They have their own version of the "pony express" and just have yet to figure out how to make the interstellar equivalent of a telegraph or radio.

We may be one of the few species out there with the intellectual forethought to even theorize how such devices would work. We simply don't know, and are guessing at everything when it comes to the possibility of ETs.

But, listening for EMF is, pretty much, all we can do.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Symbolism, is how i reckon they communicate. If they don't its the easiest way to get both our message and E.T.'s message across.

These man made crop circles, are a mystry to who went out and made them, so what if places like Wiltshire was used by the goverment/organisation to communicate to E.T. through patterns in a field? E.T. could simply reply there message with constructing another crop circle nearby.

For example, why not make a crop pattern with a human shaking hands with an alien
, then E.T. would gaze at it and construct a message, with the pattern of a alien hugging a human. I know it sounds stupid but it's the best i can think of at the momemnt.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I think its insane to search the way we do. We keep looking in all these different directions , changing all the time . Thats a silly way to look at space to be honest. The human race needs to advance so that one day we can look in every direction at once. Seem silly ? Well yeah, but so did powered flight not particularly long ago.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnyc55

For example, why not make a crop pattern with a human shaking hands with an alien
, then E.T. would gaze at it and construct a message, with the pattern of a alien hugging a human. I know it sounds stupid but it's the best i can think of at the momemnt.

That would be awesome!

top topics

join