It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Court: Americans Can't Help Terrorists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com

Over the objections of three justices, the Supreme Court has upheld a federal law prohibiting American citizens from providing "material support or resources" to foreign terror groups. The 6-3 majority opinion from Chief Justice John Roberts is a victory for the government’s efforts to fight terrorist organizations.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Justice Stephen Breyer, Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor (what a surprise) voted against a federal law prohibiting American citizens from providing "material support or resources" to foreign terror groups. Justice Stephen Breyer said he does not dispute the Court’s concerns about protecting the country from the threat of foreign terrorist groups. But he said he was unable to determine how applying the law actually achieves that purpose.
Well, let’s see. You give money to a group that purchases a boat, explosives, and training, to men who get next to US Navy ships, and blow themselves up! Gee, it’s hard to figure that one out. Let’s try something easier. Someone gives money to a group that purchases cell phones and explosives, then plant these next to street and roads, waiting to detonate them when U.S. Marines or Army personnel get close. Does that sound like freedom of speech to you?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
About time too. It's just a shame your only concern is the funding of terrorist groups that might harm the U.S military/citizens.
Were you up in arms when your countrymen were openly donating to the IRA/INLA to fund their bloody crusade against the U.K

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Mahmoud Abbas, also known as Abu Mazen, graduated from the University of Damascus in Syria, and graduated from the Patrice Lumumba University in Moscow, where he earned a Candidate of Sciences degree. In 1961, he was recruited to become a member of Fatah, founded by Yasser Arafat. Abu Daoud, who planned the 1972 Munich Massacre, the hostage-taking of members of the Israeli team at the Munich Olympic Games , wrote that funds for the operation were provided by Abbas. On December 14, 2005, Abbas refused to disarm Palestinian militants and use force against groups that Israel, the United States and the European Union designated as terrorist organizations.
topics.nytimes.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
On January 09, 2005, Abbas became president of the Palestinian Authority and head of the Fatah movement. His quote in 2005,” I renew my commitment to continuing the road he [Arafat] began and for which he made a lot of sacrifices, until the Palestinian flag flies from the walls, minarets and churches of Jerusalem." And in April 27, 2009, “A Jewish state, what is that supposed to mean? You can call yourselves as you like, but I don't accept it and I say so publicly."
Of the 45 current designated foreign terrorist organizations in the world, over half are related to Palestine.
www.state.gov...

Supposedly, on June 9, 2010, Obama announces a $400 Million dollar aid package to Palestine. www.guardian.co.uk...
canadafreepress.com...

[img]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd3fe883dd3f.jpg[/atsimg] [/img]

But I guess it's OK when the potus does it

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Violater1]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
...two nearly identical threads on this issue by the same person?...

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread586037/pg1

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...two nearly identical threads on this issue by the same person?...

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread586037/pg1

And your point?
Review the ATS rules.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by executioner
About time too. It's just a shame your only concern is the funding of terrorist groups that might harm the U.S military/citizens.
Were you up in arms when your countrymen were openly donating to the IRA/INLA to fund their bloody crusade against the U.K

This news article is not about the IRA.
But since you asked, they are on the terrorist list too!
www.state.gov...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
so are the closing the internet? info is an important resource. Google maps shows the way, besides all the sites how to fabricate explosives, use and buy weaponary etc etc.

and what about government investments? This could be fun.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

This law was much needed. A BIG HOWEVER though is what happens when they start labeling certain groups as terror organizations when they dont deserve to be terror organizations?

Sure there are obvious groups that are terrorists, but other groups are not terrorists but rather just have different views and goals from the US. When the govt labels the tea party as a terrorist organization or green peace then what?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
What surprises me is that no one mentions the 3 against. Sure you shouldn't fund terrorists right. Them voting against this is = to voting to be able to fund terrorists. Isn't that some form of treason? However; what is a terrorist?

[edit on 21-6-2010 by eazyriderl_l]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

But, but, but we are all terrorists now ain't we.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
What surprises me is that no one mentions the 3 against. Sure you shouldn't fund terrorists right. Them voting against this is = to voting to be able to fund terrorists. Isn't that some form of treason? However; what is a terrorist?

[edit on 21-6-2010 by eazyriderl_l]

In clear cut cases I would say yes but it's never black and white. The groups the government says are terrorists may not necessarily be so, or even if they are they may be fighting a just cause. It's the old one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter thing.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
What surprises me is that no one mentions the 3 against.

Justice Stephen Breyer, Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor (what a surprise).

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This could pose a lot of problems for the CIA. Almost any group they fund are either terrorists or future terrorists. Also, I guess this means no more foreign aid to Israel.

I hope there is some provision in there that says you are only in violation if you provide support to a group that you KNOW to be terrorists. A lot of them disguise themselves as religious or humanitarian organizations, like Scientology.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
and who determines who the terrorists are? hmm? might be that a lot of people on this website will someday soon find themselves on the list of "terrorists" because they're not happy with the status quo.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Lmfao at the irony.. The u.s government supports the biggest terrorist in the world - isreal...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Does this mean that if a American is on a boat trying to break the Israeli blockade.
And they find members of AL Qaeda or any other terrorist group on the boat.
Are the Americans then supplying "material support or resources" to shield the terrorist trying to enter Gaza.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Over the objections of three justices, the Supreme Court has upheld a federal law prohibiting American citizens from providing "material support or resources" to foreign terror groups. The 6-3 majority opinion from Chief Justice John Roberts is a victory for the government’s efforts to fight terrorist organizations.

If that's the case then everyone Must stop supporting President Obama right now, because he might be the biggest terrorist we have.

Failing to secure the boarders, not being proactive with the Gulf spill situation, actually wanting amnesty for illegal aliens, pushing health bills that will economically harm the country and give worse care to the people, -n He is against the Constitution and the way of life our founding fathers wanted for us... He doesn't use guns and bombs but the outcome is the same. The man acts link a terrorist.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Thanks you, that is exactly what I am wondering right now, where and how the definition of terrorist starts and end, with the type government we have right now and the corruption on our political system of corporate greed I wonder who will be the ones to make the distinction.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

No realy this is fantastic news.

Restored my faith in humanity and will save american tax payers a lot of money and might save them a lot of freinds in europe.

Maybe we need a thread to thrash out the whole story from Hittler and Bush in the second world war to todays world because i'm realy not sure about any of it myself but i do have a few alarming questions that i would like answered once and for all.

He doesnt use guns and bombs but the outcome is the same. The man is a terrorist.

Give it time, give it time because they have him by the balls else they would never allowed him to become president of the USA and i only hope he turns around and bites them.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by LieBuster]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join