posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:28 PM
Ok so let's take a little look at what the "do-nothing" Obama has been up to:
1. Significantly, he buried the Imperial Presidency of George Bush and restored the Constitutional balance of government by respecting the equal
standing of the legislative branch of government. As a former constitutional law professor, this is a major matter of change of tone and style that he
promised during the campaign, and he has delivered. (Not pretty or necessarily effective given the Reid-less leadership in the Senate, but we are a
2. Passed and signed the stimulus package, the biggest piece of legislation--ever--in blinding speed, thus being able to start to stabilize the
economy, with GDP now projected to grow at the rate of 3 percent by the end of the year. Check the comeback of your 401K since Obama has taken
3. Stabilized the top 20 banks without federalizing them.
4. Reduced the rate of foreclosures inherited from the Bush administration.
5. Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act that makes it easier to sue for wage discrimination, a dramatic reversal of the bill's fortunes under
6. Granted regulatory power to the FDA to control tobacco products, another dramatic reversal of the Bush years that industry has lobbied hard to
7. Signed the Matthew Shepard Hate Act that expanded federal hate crime protection to categories of sexual orientation and gender, to the major
consternation of the Religious Right.
8. Killed the F-22 fighter jet program, a popular program with Congress, saving billions of dollars.
9. With a stroke of a pen, enacted, by executive order, (see correction below in comments, it was a bill signing) the largest conservation measure in
15 years, spanning the Bush and Clinton records.
10. Implement an electronic medical record system before any healthcare legislation was introduced. This new technology will be singularly responsible
for saving lives and reducing the high administrative costs of healthcare, a key element of reform.
11. Extended a $2500 tax credit to 5 million families to help with college tuition.
12. Cooperated with Japan in bringing a $5 billion stabilization package for Pakistan.
13. Engaged the Muslim world in a dialogue, beginning with his unprecedented speech in Cairo, followed by an interview with Al Arabiya, and
face-to-face discussions with Iran, a total reversal of the Bush years of Muslim baiting and hate.
14. Dramatically reversed the reputation of the United States around the world, with now most nations looking favorably on the US, and receiving the
Nobel Peace Prize as one consequence.
15. Agreed to plan for bringing the troops home from Iraq, at a slower pace than what he promised, but based on knowledge that commanders-in-chief,
not candidates, have.
16. Brought the White House online, doing for the White House what he had done for political campaigning. There are now online Q&A's with the
administration, and a White House blog.
17. Released the names of all visitors to the White House, a total reversal of the secret Bush years.
18. Told Mexico that the US is responsible for some of their drug problems, a no small, but truthful admission.
19. Restored the rights of states to regulate the medical use of marijuana without fear of federal law enforcement intrusion.
20. Banned the use of torture, and he has begun a complete review of the torture policies under Bush.
21. Appointed the first Latina to the Supremes: Imagine what would have happened to the Supreme Court under four more years of radical Republicans.
Obama has thus averted a long-term dramatic swing to the extreme right on the court, and appointed a progressive to keep matters in check.
So, maybe he's not so useless after all.