It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb Government Protects Non-Existant Mouse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Under the Endangered Species Act, the Preble's mouse was protected in areas on the Wester side of the Great Plains. Local governments, builders, and landowners have wasted 100 million dollars protecting a mouse the never existed for the past six years. New research suggests that the mouse is actually the quite common Bear Lodge meadow jumping mouse. There will be a decision in December on whether to take away the threatened status of the mouse.

edition.cnn.com...

If we can't trust the government enough to do their own education, how can we trust they tell us. It seems that the flawed intelligence of the government is exposed more every day in different agencies.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
That money "100 million dollars" could have helped out Nasa send out repair mission to the Hubble Space Telescope.
What a waste. If this happened in Canada, there would have been rioting in the streets, the federal government would've been elected out of power, and the newspapers would've had a meal of it. This would be news for several weeks, and then brought back during elections. But on the other hand if you look at how much money the Americans spent on the war in Iraq, the 100 million dollars, is pocket change.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Ahh, but the most beautiful part of it all is that it came from the people not the government. This is all local govs and people who had to waste this money because the government said so. And I doubt very much they will decide to reimburse anyone for the money.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Why even bother putting anything on the endangered species list? Alright, National symbols I understand, but common animals? This type of conservation actually tends to go against nature. Hundreds of species die out every day without human causes. even when humans are the cause its still just nature. Weak species die,stronger species take their place. This waste of tax money on a blasted mouse? It could've been much better spent.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The only thing a mouse is good for is snake food. Putting a mouse on the endangered list is like putting a flea or a fly on the list. It's stupid. What difference does it make if every mouse in the states was exterminated? I'm sure the snakes wouldn't like it much though. Well, maybe not every one.

That money wasted to protect a worthless mouse could have been used to feed the homeless or it could have been spent on medical research.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I look at it this way.... why don't these special interest people buy up a bunch of land and moved endangered species to that land instead of trying to tell other people what they can and can't do with their land. I'm sorry but if im building a house and I find a spotted owl on my land guess what I'm having for dinner?

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
speaking of animls on the endangered list........
in Washington State in the USA the Sasquatch is listed as an endangered species.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm

And we still ponder IF it actually exists? Seams the Government in Washington State is pretty dam CONVINCED...

new topics

top topics

join