It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo, Trending now. Truth or Lies? You be the judge.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Here’s a quick question for my associates on ATS, who by the way seem at times to be the only beacon of possible truth in an ever growing sea of bull dung.
So Before I rant let me extend a firm THANK YOU to you all, even the ones I get annoyed with.

This isn’t for stars and flags just a quick opinion gathering device.

I was going through various web homepages, Yahoo, MSN, and a couple others as well as Youtube and I find myself getting a knot of anger and aggression in my stomach and here’s why.

I know the American people are almost unanimously understood to be brain dead automatons who only do what they’re told by corporatists and god like powers that be, but come on!. …..*Before anyone gets offended Im an American too*….

Anyway as I look to certain areas of these WebPages I notice it looks like the check out isle at your local grocery store. Basically NOTHING BUT BS.. Tabloids, Celeb gossip, Administration worship, sports and quirky little food recipes.

Oh and get this little gem, according to those websites that’s "WHATS TRENDING NOW!!!"..

Look I know I’m not telling you something that you don’t already know. I just want to share my aggravation over this issue with like minded people.

You see, Maybe I’m about to have a point proven to me about the mental stability of many of us Conspiracy theory folk, that being maybe…Just maybe things are not bad at all and we fervently look for gloom and doom.

I mean maybe there isn’t an industrial disaster destroying huge swaths of ocean in the gulf.
Maybe there isn’t really a problem with Iran and quite possibly an imminent attack by US and Israeli forces.

Maybe congress really isn’t nefariously sneaking wild and crazy bills into action behind our backs.
Oh and maybe there isn’t a whole plethora of sinister acts that are currently peeling the flesh from the worlds bones. Nah, not at all.

Perhaps I need earnestly listen to Google, and Yahoo, and MSN on “What’s Trending Now” Because numbers don’t lie right? I mean Those are the “true” statistics, and of course people really are interested in the following:

Video: Prince Harry, girlfriend call it quits
Britain's royal heir & girlfriend
Chelsy Davy end six-year relationship

OR:
Suge Knight Files $106 Million Lawsuit Against Former Partner

AND:
Mozzarella Cheese balls turning blue. (I hate it when that happens don’t you..GOSH!)

Look I’ll hand it to MSN…… No not really, but I will acknowledge that they seem to show the thinnest veneer of real news though that’s quite possibly laughable.

Oh but that precious gem of MSM Yahoo touting every conceivable form the preposterous slime, from Lady Gaga, to Isn’t life peachy summer BBQ recipes. What’s that? Oh …puked in my mouth a little, my bad.

I know or at least I have heard that these companies fix the trends, basically controlling the media.
So that if in reality aforementioned topics weren’t actually searched you the slave, the sheep, the gullible masses will never be the wiser.

So what’s the deal, am I just irritated because maybe people really are searching those things and my nightmare of the public not waking up is a God forsaken reality?
OR
Are these corporate giants skewing the publics perception of reality to wrangle them into a catatonic state of celebrity crotches and bedazzling lawsuits?

A part of me is screaming right now ”Please don’t let it be so!”
But another part of me isn’t surprised, but come on man seriously... Can so many people be so Apa-Freakin-Thetic to the world around them that current trends are showing nothing but mindless drivel being the priority?

If so then I’m afraid many trends forecasters and supposed experts are right when they claim we're sliding into a pit where we may quite possibly not recover.

So to all those aficionados out there who are in love with POP culture and perhaps assisting in the demise of my life I say; sorry to tinkle in your World Cup.

By the way I’m currently looking for proof that these guys and others are fixing the trending stats.

Please don’t let me rant alone.

Thanks to everyone for reading.

Snowen20

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
But didn't you see the dress miley cirus was wearing the other day?!?!! THAT IS NEWS!!!! AMERICA MUST KNOW!!!

Sadly the MSM is a complete joke like you pointed out. I stopped watching news years ago and i am rarely ever checking CNN.com out now.

I was thinking about something the other day. What if all americans lived life like people lived around 200 years ago? What if everyone just lived their lives and never read a newspaper or kept up with the news?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The very fact that you or I am on this website means we are not "most people". But I do think most Americans have little or no clue what is going on in Politics and what is going on in the world outside of their own little circle of friends. Most kids these days are spoiled.

I've seen it even amongst males. No one wants to get their hands dirty any more. Everyone is concerned about their own appearance more and in having the best stuff to impress others with.

Everyone is much more connected. Where I live you see almost everyone and their young children with cell phones. People walk through stories having a conversation on a cell phone, texting and talking even while paying for items.

I am not lying, people talk on the cell phone in public bathrooms. What is so freaking important that you have to be talking while taking a dump?
What is so important that you can't even get off the phone for one minute to pay for your groceries and look your cashier in the eye?

Kids post their most personal details online. Everyone seems to want to know what everyone else is doing. Everyone seems to think they are living in some sort of movie where they are they main star and everything that they do is of the utmost importance to everyone, even total strangers.

We live in a world where there is convenience and instant gratification. If you've got the money, you can find what you need.

If the grid went down, people would be going absolutely psycho within one hour.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Honestly watching news makes me physically ill.
One of the absolute SHOW STOPPERS with me is Fox and Friends. JC, These people are the epitome of the dumbed down absolutely clueless American lackey.

They flippity flop and twitter around on the sofa together perkier than ferrets on 20 kilos of crack.
Then when *anyone* and I do mean anyone from government comes on they brown nose like it’s going out of style. That is of course AFTER they ask no questions of immediate import and waist my diminishing IQ points on worthless conversation.

OH but I’m supposed to follow their tune like a lemming running toward his demise.

Yeah physically ill.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Honest to God dude it makes me want to cry in desperation.
Like for example me and my cousin went to a restaurant when I was in the states.

The whole time we are in the car together he has his I phone out texting away like he’s some kind of CIA asset receiving kill orders.
Then while we are waiting for our food while eating and after we leave I get to share my conversations with him and his multiple text mates.
His kids are the same way. Get this 9 years old and 11.

Excuse me but what the hell do kids that young need to be texting 24/7 come on?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The trends are accurate, there arent many people like us who are curious.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

I get especially annoyed with commercials.

They always try to appeal to some basic emotion; "If you love your kid, you must buy em this" or "Your friends will think you're so cool".

It's so obvious it's ridiculous.

Or right now, with the World Cup, they could be advertising for hemorrhoid ointment, and they still find a way to relate it to soccer.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

My curiosity can be more likened to an unquenchable fire with the heat of a thousand suns.
That being said If the trends really are correct, If people were only mildy and I do mean mildly curious then hallelujah it’s a flippin Christmas miracle we might actually get somewhere.

Ok so maybe it’s cause I’m eating spoonfuls of my Nescafe classic 100% instant coffee, or maybe im naturally wired to try to understand the BLIND ignorance people in the supposed but unfortunate majority seem be displaying.

I don’t know, …Man this coffee tastes like crap.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
As far as Yahoo's "trending now"..

I always thought they just picked # out of the air to put there that they thought people wanted to know. I couldn't believe that was a compilation of search results.

If it actually is a ranking of search terms then atleast 1 of the top 3 right now is unemployment. Atleast someone cares about something a little more than her-man gaga.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

Oh my gosh, Your too right.

There was a thread the other day about a commercial that had been showing regarding High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Ok so here you have a person like us a conspiracy type talking to a supposed level headed, middle class, everything is perfectly fine don’t question anything mass media jockey. Or as I like to refer to them an “Orwellian Everyman”

This person who questions authority dares to inquire as to why we are feeding our kids HFCS, But fear not because Orwellian Everyman tears ol conspiracy dude a new one, thereby making all who raise questions look ridiculous.

Yeah commercials are guilty as heck for contributing to the demise of humanity.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Yeah dude tell me about it but sometimes I wander if they just put that in there to filter or level it off. You know mix the real with the BS. The equivalent of important news making it to page 9 of the newspaper, leaving Aunt Martha’s holiday chicken pot pie on page one.

But that’s why I said I hand it to MSN,
Man I cant say that with a straight face!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I reckon google trends gives a pretty good picture, I use it all the time

www.google.com...

You can find out things like which cities are searching for truth seeker phrases the most. Or compare the internet hits to msn hits, take this for example around election year in the msn Hillary got way more attention but on the internet Ron got the most www.google.com...

new topics

top topics

join