It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf of Mexico oil spill from NASA's Terra satellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Oil Slick in the Gulf of Mexico
source

On Saturday, June 19, 2010, oil spread northeast from the leaking Deepwater Horizon well in the Gulf of Mexico. The oil appears as a maze of silvery-gray ribbons in this photo-like image from the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra satellite. The location of the leaking well is marked with a white dot. North of the well, a spot of black may be smoke; reports from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration say that oil and gas continue to be captured and burned as part of the emergency response efforts. The large image provided above is at MODIS’ maximum spatial resolution (level of detail). Twice-daily images of the Gulf of Mexico are available from the MODIS Rapid Response Team in additional resolutions and formats, including a georeferenced version that can be used in Google Earth.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Noah spent 40 days at sea while the world was destroyed, now we have sixty plus days and still no action from you know who.
And I bet Obama will continue to ignore photos like this for the rest of the summer.
Of course he'll probably come back a make a comment about cutting NASA's budget as a result of this photo.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Here is the actual image...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3435aea93b30.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Sad. At least science may get some good data on gulf currents from watching this leak. I cannot imagine the impact this is having on the fish.

Still have not seen any valid reports of how much the fish are being affected by this.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
So can i safely assume all that silvery top layer is oil, minus the one of two small blue patches scattered?

Anyone know what density this is at, i mean is it all rising to the surface or is it top to bottom oil?

Why don't someone just stop the damn thing....
The world's scientists can fly to the moon but cant design something to cap this.

Can't they just create a long tube made of some kind of material that dont leak oil and put it over the spill tie a rope at the base and let it rise up into a container?

I just don't get it, what a shame.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Spirit777

Pretty much...

What you see on the top is oil sheen, but keep in mind that the majority of the oil is still UNDER THE WATER.... in large plumes....

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

That's totally Fu**ed up!!
So is there any way of measuring how long this thing is going to take before it runs its course as its obvious no one is going to stop it.

I have heard all kinds of timelines surely someone must know volume to time ratios?

top topics

join