It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spill Could Last 2 to 4 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

BP CEO Tony Hayward says the reservoir that feeds the gushing well in the Gulf of Mexico probably still holds about 2 billion gallons of oil.

Appearing before a House subcommittee, Hayward estimated that the reservoir tapped by the out-of-control well holds at least 50 million barrels of oil. At 42 gallons per barrel, that's 2.1 billion gallons.

According to government estimates of daily flow figures, anywhere from 73.5 million to 126 million gallons gushed from the breached wellhead — whether into the water or captured.

That means the reservoir likely holds 94 to 97 percent of its oil. At the current flow rate, it would take from two to nearly four years for all the oil to leak from the field if it can't be stopped.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.newsmax.com...

Could you imagine if all fails, including the relief wells? For this spill to last 2 - 4 years would be absolutely devastating, to a degree of biblical proportions. I do have to admit that I think the relief wells will work but just what if they too fail? Could we then really see one third of all sea creatures die off? If this leak lasted for 3 years, I wonder if it would effect all oceans, not just the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean. As it is now, leaking for months, I think is almost biblical proportions and I never use that term lightly. I guess we can only wait and see what happens.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I like to view the Earth as a closed air conditioner system.

Failure/damage, in one part of the system is ultimately felt/effected by that failure/damage.

If the Oil were to leak for that long, I can only imagine that it would been felt all around the world.

This all just makes me very angry!

join