It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Demise of Ufology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Ufologist Chris Rutkowski posted this here and I thought it an eloquent description of our UFO world today. I'm afraid he's all too right about this and that doesn't bode well for Disclosure or our acceptance into the mainstream world. I'm afraid that I share his view.

I caused a bit of a stir several months ago when I called UFO case investigation a lost art.

I'll go further this time: ufology looks like it's near death.

The bad news is: I'm an optimist.

I was having a conversation with Brian Savage recently, and he made the observation that the UFO phenomenon has been derailed. He was formerly with the Alberta UFO Study Group, an earlier incarnation that produced in-depth investigation reports and scoured government documents for historical Alberta cases. Brian's comment was in reference to the many popularized UFO-related developments over the past 20 years which have destroyed the legitimacy of serious UFO research.

Examples of these derailments include the alien autopsy film, Lazar's Element 115, the strawberry ice cream nonsense, Greer's telepathic vectoring of UFOs, crop circles, exopolitics, Nibiru, and the resurgence of the contactee phenomenon. These and others have served to draw public and popular attention away from serious UFO case investigations and into the realm of wild arm-waving speculation and wide-eyed fanaticism.

Ufology is greatly fractured. With thousands of UFO-related web pages, everyone (and anyone) can be an expert. Anyone can tell you the "REAL Truth" about the aliens' presence on Earth and their nefarious dealings with the government and how Obama is an alien and why I've been chosen as their emissary and why alien hybrids have pale skin and why aliens will arrive in 2012 and where the underwater alien bases are in the Gulf of Mexico and why the hundreds of orbs in my photograph are mental images of aliens and not dust particles and why some UFO craft disguise themselves as airplanes and why chemtrails are not just contrails and why this blog is passing through into another dimension....
www.uforum.blogspot.com...

I found this blog perfectly sufficient at describing present day ufology. Ufology isn't my area of expertise (not that I particularly have one) but I have noticed a distinct lack of any ufo cases that have captured our attentions recently. Everything seems to have died down and the very thought of 'disclosure' is almost laughable.

The last paragraph (BOLDED) I find particularly poingnant. It makes the valid point that these days anyone can become an 'expert' on ufology by just spending a few days stumbling around the internet typing in keywords. So how does one obtain (and sustain) credibility in such an easily infiltrated arena?

Is ufology dying?

Or is it just walking wounded?

MOD EDIT:
To remove excessive copy and paste.
(This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

[edit on June 21st 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

That was a great post, but again I say we should have patience and wait to be visited again. I think the reason why we are not seeing actual ufo occurences is because we are no longer being visited.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

DOUBLE POST!

[edit on 21-6-2010 by packinupngoin]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Gotta agree with you OP.

UFOogy, is dying. And it is pretty easy to see why;

No proof - no evidence - nothing but fuzzy pictures...etc. etc.

All the disclosure nonsense and predictions not comming true.

People - outside of the "conspiracy theorist" or "ufo believer" need some form of concrete evidence to sink there teeth into.

Hey I'm the first guy on line who "wants to believe", but, there is nothing here. Until a ufo lands on the White House Lawn....

All this stuff gets boaring, cause its all the same.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin

That was a great post, but again I say we should have patience and wait to be visited again. I think the reason why we are not seeing actual ufo occurences is because we are no longer being visited.

Aliens aren't visiting = no alien sightings? Sounds like a fair assessment

Although I think the article is more concerned with the increase in hoaxes that have muddied the waters and discredited the UFO community.

'Examples of these derailments include the alien autopsy film, Lazar's Element 115, the strawberry ice cream nonsense, Greer's telepathic vectoring of UFOs, crop circles, exopolitics, Nibiru, and the resurgence of the contactee phenomenon. These and others have served to draw public and popular attention away from serious UFO case investigations and into the realm of wild arm-waving speculation and wide-eyed fanaticism.'

Summed up in the above extract.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tom1701

Yer, it seems that time is very much against ufology. The longer we go without any half-decent evidence the more people will start to 'lose faith', as it were.

That is another good point you make about the people who make predictions...only for them never to come true. These people really sap the life out of ufology and I doubt that nothing has done more damage than false predictions.

It singles out a specific date and shines a bright light upon it - making the whole world watch on. Then when nothing happens the non-believers have more ammo and believers are once again left feeling let down.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If the study of UFOs is such a dying art then why did the history channel show a 4 episode series on ancient aliens? Do you believe ancient people of earth could lift a two million pound chunk of earth? On one episode i clearly remember the scientist stating that for one of the 2 million pound rocks would have to be lifted by 25 heavy lifting cranes... Well, i see its either the ancients had 25 heavy lifting cranes, They all had iron man suits, or they had help from above... Im gonna go with help from above final answer. Now i will start my own thread.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
If the study of UFOs is such a dying art then why did the history channel show a 4 episode series on ancient aliens? Do you believe ancient people of earth could lift a two million pound chunk of earth? On one episode i clearly remember the scientist stating that for one of the 2 million pound rocks would have to be lifted by 25 heavy lifting cranes... Well, i see its either the ancients had 25 heavy lifting cranes, They all had iron man suits, or they had help from above... Im gonna go with help from above final answer. Now i will start my own thread.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoachSlamYou
If the study of UFOs is such a dying art then why did the history channel show a 4 episode series on ancient aliens?

An entertainment channel using theories von Daniken and Graham Hancock (amongst others) have been banging on about for years is hardly a major breakthrough.

I watched the shows and enjoyed them but it's hardly proof that ufology is still going strong.

It's more about the problem of ufology being watered down by ridiculous theories and predictions. Also a lack of structure/leadership.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Please get a group of your strongest friends and pick up and place a 2 million pound rock

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CoachSlamYou

You have completely misunderstood the topic of this thread, did you even read the article I linked?

2 million pound rock?

That one was 5.8 million pounds. Looks easy enough

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
There is plenty of interest in UFOs and we are seeing more and more stories in the main news.

Ufology, or the real serious study of them may be on the decline. Maybe that is what he meant.

There is plenty of interest. Maybe people are not actually focused on the science of where they come from and what their agenda is, how their technology works, what their culture could be, and how they would function as a lifeform.

We really only have images of craft and some people's stories about the craft's occupants.

We really don't even know if they are from outer space, the center of the planet, another dimension, or whatever.

For serious science to be done, I think we'd need some dna.

But we do have many things to learn about our own world and universe. We learn a lot in quantom physics. I think people are now better able to accept that there may be other dimensions and that space is stranger than we can imagine. There are forces and laws of nature that function in strange ways. We are always understanding more and rewriting how thing work.

The more we learn about ourselves the more questions we will ask. The more questions we ask and the more we learn, the more we come to accept that there may be the possibility that everything we think we know is only a small part of something much greater, and that could include that there are other intelligences, and maybe even greater than our own.

This is something that some people do not want to think about. People like to feel they know everything and that we are elite in the universe. No one wants to think that we could be comparable to ants and that we could be helpless.

I think that if some scientists did have knowledge of intelligences greater than our own, they wouldn't want to tell. If there are others, and especially if they are not benevolent, we are helpless against them.

I'd like to think that given enough time, that an organism would evolve to the point of rational thinking. That given enough time it would see how to become more peaceful. But look at us.

If they are anything like us, would we want to meet them?
We have the potential for great good, but the potential for great evil.
You could never really trust a human, because some of us are good and some of us are evil. If you met the wrong one, you'd regret it.

Maybe it is like that with them. They might have agendas to them that may seem good to them.

If you take your dog to the vet to be neutered, it would not understand. To the dog it would be a scary thing. To you it would be for the greater good of you dog, so you don't contribute to the over abundance of stray dogs.

To a research animal in a lab, we are terrible creatures that imprison them. We need the animals for research, but we don't ask their permission.

I am sure animals in the zoo would rather be free, than to be looked at by us. But zoos do help to educate people about animals. Many people come to love animals by going to the zoo, and thus do not want to see their habitat destroyed. Animals are bred and some may be released back into their habitats later, if there is a place for them. Animals that are going endangered are bred to help increase the population.

So if there is an alien agenda, maybe it isn't good or evil in and of itself. Maybe it is being run by intelligences that are capable of good and evil like we are. Maybe some are benefitial to us, and are trying to help in some way. Maybe others need us to help their species in some way.

I just hope that in using us, they can form a type of love for us that some people have for animals. I hope that they will leave this Earth in better condition than when they found it.

To them, this Earth may be like a wildlife preserve. We are like the animals living behind a fence, being monitored, but thinking we are free.

If the government is aware of this, why tell anyone? Why not let everyone continue their lives in bliss?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CoachSlamYou

Completely disaggree with that sorry, though if your talking about UFOlogy as a job? it never should have been a job, it's just something that keep's you a little more optimistic about the universe, i don't know.

Ive read and watched some PRETTY damn convincing thing's, so you could say im a firm believer. Just watching garry mckinon in an BBC interview, where he watched 'the disclosure project', logged onto a nasa computer, saw the stuff she was talking about and said 'what she said was there, was there', gives me reason to believe 'the disclosure project' as a whole, which changes the game for me, and some of the videos that exist are just crazy. Spacecraft that report back to nasa and say thing's like ' Some of our friend's here again '. thing's like that are a real good starting point to believe.

But as a job maybe it is dying out i don't know : /

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom1701
Gotta agree with you OP.

UFOogy, is dying. And it is pretty easy to see why;

No proof - no evidence - nothing but fuzzy pictures...etc. etc.

All the disclosure nonsense and predictions not comming true.

People - outside of the "conspiracy theorist" or "ufo believer" need some form of concrete evidence to sink there teeth into.

Hey I'm the first guy on line who "wants to believe", but, there is nothing here. Until a ufo lands on the White House Lawn....

All this stuff gets boaring, cause its all the same.

You neglect to mention the skeptics only being interested in talking about the fuzzy pictures and chickening out from the real meat of Ufology. in other words, the idiot hoaxers and the blind believers are , hand in hand with the skeptics when it comes to bad science, sweeping statements and talking out of their collective backs sides at times.

Th net has given every hoaxer and every loud mouthed skeptic a voice. So what? Deal with it. Ufology has gone exactly the same way as everything else has in this world right now. Personalities over substance. Those with the right publicity machine get the oxygen of exposure , no matter, how worthless their case/cause might be.

I suspect mankind will only ever receive proof of the existence of other intelligences, wherever they might stem from only when. We remove our collective head from up our collective arse and realise humans aren't the end all and be all of this creation.

Part of the problem lies with how people today, want everything yesterday. Patience is almost a dirty word. The again, people and particularly on here tend to forget. A huge amount of the world's population is moire concerned with simply, staying alive and healthy. Whether there are aliens visiting us really doesn't rate that high on the *things to do list* .

From my own experience, I'd guess that, for every *good case* that the public knows about, there are another 10 that are equally compelling, where those involved simply didn't want the hassle , going public, over it would bring with it. That's doubly so for those involved in the armed forces, science and public life.

One very common conversation goes something like this with military and scientific people.

"Oh yes, I've known about them for years, saw something myself". "Of course print that and i will deny it". They don;t say those sort of things to those who are dismissive of the whole phenomenon, partly because, they suspect those self same people would be the first to use it against them.
The truth is, the skeptics are often willing to believe any old cobblers so long as it supports their beliefs, in exactly the same way the UFO believers do.

The very nature of the UFO phenomenon means that, it attracts the totally self opinionated, from both sides and that the, seriously like to know, whatever the answer is, group, has always been the smallest.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If I were to be honest I could name a handfull of things in five minutes that cause ufology breakdown:

1) Unproven foundations. This includes people from so called secret societies, services and agencies. People claiming to be from NSA, NASA and otherwise.

2) Rediculous claims like stargates and alien races who's existence was never proven. e.g. greys, reptillians, etc. etc.

3) Bad footage either hoaxes or so poorly of quality that it could be ANYTHING!

4) Moneymakers, people who try to make money on aliens, like writing and sellings books.

5) Lack of deep background searches in the area as well as commitment and organisation.

All of these things have way's of dealing with, but require a team and dedicated leadership. If I were to compose a team I would make it similar to this;

* A networker. This is the person that maintains close ties to govermental agencies, knows how to get legal documentation from reliable sources, checks and establishes new networknodes (people and organisations) that are trustworthy and known to be reliable.

* Trashseekers. Dedicated U.F.O. fanatics with a clear head, they not only seek rumors but also do a first ground check. Things like; are there multiple sources available in the case? Are the sources reliable and even existing?
They never rely on sources that have an unproven foundation.

* Photoshoppers and falisification experts; your enemy is your greatest friend. People who are familier with how photoshop program's work and how falisification can work. Not just digiitally but also 'the old way'. What quality cam was used, do sizes match up, are there possible logical explanations. ( I would like to ad that past time hoaxers coming clear are great in this if they were any good at it back then)

* Dub-testers. People that try to duplicate possible U.F.O. video's and photo's to see wether it is rediculously simple to falsify and likewise fake or to see wether theories about it being faked in a way are actually possible in reality. (pretty much the Myth-busters of the group together with the above mentioned category)

* Documenters. These are the people who ultimatly gather the infor from the other teammembers, make feasable documentations and create 'datapits' from the investigation. e.g. a timeline of events including events of the investigationteam, a mapping wether a case is open, closed and what the (temporary) endresult was. preliminary reports that summerise the case and investigation as well as private and public data storage. For instance, secured USB-discs for the team members to have as well as a public database that is acceable for anyone but only editable by the team members (and using a changelog to make sure all is kept orderly and falsifications by unknows cn be filtered out)

* reliable third party reviewers from various groups both official and unofficial. To ensure the research was done properly and mistakes made in the process are filtered out more clearly.

* Funds gatherers; people that gather funds by organising various thing that are not necessarily U.F.O. related such as bakefest (old fasiond I know) and fundreallies. These people can also help to let the state of the group rise by spreading the message clearly. The funds can be a compensation for gasmoney used by field agents or other resources.

* Press journalist. Reliable people that have fixed news sources and are capable of turning a FINISHED reseearch into an article regardless wether it turned out to be a hoax or not.

*field agents; people willing to visit (on appointment) people who have claimed to see something. Interview them, visit the sites and check possible other angles. e.g. Do they want a littlebit to much media attention? Are they generally convinced about what they saw?

As you can see, it requiers a lot of manpower and organisation to form a team that is reliable. These teams must have dedication, determination, persistance and must be somewhat sceptical to prevent unproven facts and false sources of information from conteminating the results. The people background must be checked (I doubt you need deep back-ground checks but they must be mentally stabile) and seriousness is needed.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by AncientShade]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sorry, not really buying it.

Just because there are some facets of "Ufology" that YOU personally, and the writer of the blog don't want to take seriously, like Exopolitics, crop circles or telepathic contact...... does not mean that Ufology is "dead".

It just means that there are some facets of Ufology that some people don't want to take seriously

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
Examples of these derailments include the alien autopsy film, Lazar's Element 115, the strawberry ice cream nonsense, Greer's telepathic vectoring of UFOs, crop circles, exopolitics, Nibiru, and the resurgence of the contactee phenomenon. These and others have served to draw public and popular attention away from serious UFO case investigations and into the realm of wild arm-waving speculation and wide-eyed fanaticism.

I smell disinfectant, no wait - it's disinformation!

Seriously though, I'm not sure how any of those things listed above contribute to the "demise of ufology". If they are drawing people "away" from "serious UFO case investigations" then you gotta question the relevance or success of those said investigations.

Sounds like this guy is crying because Nibiru is getting more attention than his "serious" investigations. Well produce some good results and perhaps something interesting and maybe you'll win some of those deserters back. Step up your game, brother!

On the contrary to what this guy thinks, I believe all those things listed are drawing people IN to ufology, no matter how ridiculous they are. I for one started with the Lazar stuff.

Once people get started in "ufology" they will learn what's what, and they will separate the good stuff from the junk themselves...

My 0.02$

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think if we ever get disclosure, it probably won't be in a way we expect, like a UFO on the white house lawn or a body. I think we will discover something in science.

Before people would be willing to accept an intelligent alien, that has a society, a culture, and machinery, etc, we'd have to establish some other facts first.

First we will prove that they could exist. Which I think most scientists these days do agree that life could exist outside of Earth. If the elements are in place, life could exist. It may not be like our life. It might be based on silcon or it might be methane or plasma or some sort sort of weird energy blob.

Then we'd have to find evidence of this.
Then we might find some very small bacteria or something.

Of course, I think the Aliens could reveal themselves, if they are real, and if they want to. Maybe they have done this before on a smaller scale.

But really, they might just view us all as insignificant, like ants.

You'd find it silly to go out in your yard and scream at the squirrels and animals in your yard that you are there.

I used to stir up ant hills when I was a child and watch the ants running around. Other times I'd leave out some food and see how long it took ants to find it. Yes, I did this, but this was back when kids played outside and didn't have cell phones or the internet. This was back when people used their imaginations.

Anyway, I used to wonder what ants were thinking, but then I'd soon forget all about the ants.

Maybe if there are aliens they are like that. Maybe they stir the anthill of the Earth from time to time. Maybe one day they will happen to create a big enough stir.

But so far this has not happened. So maybe they do have some sort of agreement. Maybe they don't appear on the White House Lawn because they have an agreement with our government. Maybe they have a prime directive, not to disturb us too much, Or maybe to them all the anthills look alike.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by jessieg]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think this is a guy that is mad that he is losing his job

sure, maybe people are losing interest in UFO because they are no longer unknown. It is not that anyone can be an expert it is that there are just so many people that have different opinions on the subject. In that article it says he worked with many "mainstream" topics over the past 20 years!

UFO cases themselves have radically shifted characteristics. Things seemed so simple when Hynek formulated his Close Encounter classifications: CE1 was a sighting at close range; CE2 was a trace case; and CE3 involved seeing occupants. There was no CE4 or CE5, as adopted by some ufologists now, reflecting abductions and contactee incidents. Only three categories, nicely defined and delineated.

Answer me this, why WOULDN'T there be another two classifications for another two "close encounters"?? This guy is really living in the past acting as if the "art" of "UFO's" haven't changed throughout time as well.

I think that more people ARE interested in UFO, the build up has been growing and the culture is now infused with the peace movement...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join