It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart employee forced to wear yellow vest after telling boss he's gay

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Walmart employee forced to wear yellow vest after telling boss he's gay

rawstory.com

A Las Vegas man who held a temporary job at Walmart says he was stripped of all his responsibilities and made to wear a yellow vest after telling his manager that he's gay.

Fernando Gallardo has filed a complaint with the Nevada Equal Rights Commission claiming that his boss at a Vegas-area Walmart confronted him about his sexuality, and then began treating him rudely and alienated him from co-workers after learning Gallardo was gay, reports The Advocate.

"I was completely ignored and shunned," he wrote in a complaint to the rights commission. "I had nothing to do all day but wander
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
advocate.com

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It never ceased to astonish me on how short sided huge corporations can be. To single out an employee because of sexual preference and punish him for his personal choice.
If an employee can perform his assigned duties and tasks; what difference does it make what he does in the privacy of his own home. But if that employee flaunts his sexuality in the work place however the company certainly has the right to fire him.
I'm not surprised that Walmart did this as per their attitudes toward women.

www.foxbusiness.com...

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
issue one - pink vest ? i thought yellow vest were issied for cowardice

issue two - why continue to employ him ?????????? seriously - wht pay a employee that managernt allegedly assigns no duites - does that make sense ??????

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Humm this sound like a scam for pay out, whaaa, I will wait to see about this one, too many opportunist out there this days looking to make a buck, and Wal-mart with a track record of misconduct against employees seems the easiest target.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This reminds me of the story where the Nazis made Jewish people wear a yellow star of david somewhere on their person. Yes, thats right, I just compared Nazis to Wal-mart. And on this issue, I am not seeing many differences...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It never ceases to astonish me how short sighted people can be. To blame a whole corporation for the actions of a single employee.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?
reply to post by whaaa

It never ceases to astonish me how short sighted people can be. To blame a whole corporation for the actions of a single employee.

Walmart is no stranger to class action discrimination lawsuits.

walmartwatch.com...

www.nytimes.com...

wakeupwalmart.com...

Google has pages of discrimination suits against Walmart

IMO it's short sighted to profile certain types of employees either sexually or apparently racially by walmart or any company for that matter.

A stupid business practice that no amount of advertising can overcome.

I always go to to one of walmarts competitors or preferably a mom and pop operation because of walmarts discriminatory practices.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Let me guess, he would have prefered pink? So all walmart male employees wearing yellow vests are big fans of penis? Let him take off the vest. Put him in arts and fabric section. Call it a day!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?
reply to post by whaaa

Wal-Mart has the power to stop its managers from treating its employees poorly but it doesn't.

If you hadn't heard Wally world is regularly implicated in mistreating and even abusing their employees.

The culture of a workplace always starts from the top and goes down. In Wally-world the front line employees are the last consideration of the business and they are just a resource to be exploited.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I know a few people at local wal marts who are openly gay and they don't wear any yellow vests.

As far as I know the only yellow vests worn are by the people getting carts from the parking lot. How many times have you been to wal mart and seen a yellow vest?

And how many times have you been to wal mart and NOT noticed half the employess wandering around the store doing nothing?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
issue one - pink vest ? i thought yellow vest were issied for cowardice

issue two - why continue to employ him ?????????? seriously - wht pay a employee that managernt allegedly assigns no duites - does that make sense ??????

Yes, yellow is cowardice so it's strange even there, not to mention paying an employee who wanders

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Humm this sound like a scam for pay out, whaaa, I will wait to see about this one, too many opportunist out there this days looking to make a buck, and Wal-mart with a track record of misconduct against employees seems the easiest target.

You should go through this too see what people are like.

Loads of people go through this, but do not sue or anything. Then there is people like you going oh no someone wanting money. What about treating all people with respect, not just the ones who want to piss in the right hole.

link   
So, how much was he paid to wear a yellow vest, have no responsibilities and bosses who ignored him all day?

Sounds like a union job to me.

Here's a very important paragraph from the cited article.

"It is my understanding that the former associate was a temporary hire while the store is under remodeling," Keene told The Advocate. "Between the 50 or so temporary associates in that store, there is a rotation through the position of 'May I Help You' associate. The several associates in this role wear a vest so customers can identify them and ask for help in finding products that may have been temporarily moved to a new spot."

rawstory.com...

All the Walmarts in my area are undergoing massive renovations, which seem to be necessitated by the massive drop in inventory at Walmart. It's hardly worth going there any more.

It's kind of pointless to wander around those huge stores after walking from the back of one of their huge parking lots only to find they stopped carrying your favorite item or to find that they do carry your favorite item, but they're out of it and all the options you might resort to in a pinch.

Anyway, I bet if they'd put an ad in the paper including this guy's job description, people would be lined up around the block to file applications.

Most would be willing to provide their own yellow vest.

link   
Wait a second. I'm no WalMart fan, but isn't this story a bit sensationalistic and overly dramatic? Without knowing the whole story, or even reading more than the title or what's excerpted in this thread, it sounds to me like this gay person got his duties changed, probably to include rounding up carts in the parking lot, for which they have to wear a yellow or orange safety vest, and didn't like it.

And this may or may not have coincidentally come on the heels of someone realizing he was gay. I don't trust the way people's minds work anymore. And I may be off the wall, but I've never seen a yellow vest at a WalMart...just the safety ones that roadworkers, law enforcement, and people who need to be visible wear...and I can't fathom anyone, no matter how ignorant, doing what this story at all, never mind so blatantly.

And I can't believe how many people both in this post and in the comments on the article (which I did go back and read) are taking this so literally and clearly jumping to conclusions and going where someone wants them to go in their assumptions.

I call miscommunication on a number of levels here.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

link   

Originally posted by fleetlord
This reminds me of the story where the Nazis made Jewish people wear a yellow star of david somewhere on their person.

Are you implying that the Jews were all gay? I fail to understand the comparison you're drawing with this story and the Jewish holocaust. If I find a yellow color while eating M&Ms should I ponder if Hitler gave yellow M&Ms to the Jews?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'd say he going for a pay out... And he will likely get it.

Some people have a knack for playing the victim, the whole worlds against them.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
yellow vest
... @ the walmart down the street all the employees in the sporting good section wear yellow vest ... in the gardening section they wear green .... most of everyone else has blue. a few managers have red vest.

I hope they all follow suit .... we need to put an end to vest discrimination

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Not every male in the world is panting for some female you know, and in the real world females are as much scum as males at work for harassing males. But males are not allowed to speak out, as males are supposed to love it.

I say good on him.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

Ah...see I didn't know that...the people at the WalMart here don't wear vests at all. Bit I'm still sticking to my theory. He wandered around because he was probably on shopping cart duty. And now, based on the name (and yes, I'm profiling!) I'm wondering if English is this man's first language or if he even speaks or understands it at all.

Okay...they phased the vests out altogether in 2006. I'm doubly sticking with my original theory.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by Now_Then

But males are not allowed to speak out, as males are supposed to love it.

I say good on him.

Sad but true, women tend to be more effective in making a mountain out of a molehill lol.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join