It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abnormal Radiation Detected Near Korean Border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Abnormal Radiation Detected Near Korean Border

www.foxnews.com

SEOUL, South Korea -- Abnormal radiation was detected near the inter-Korean border days after North Korea claimed last month to have achieved a nuclear technology breakthrough, South Korea's Science Ministry said Monday.

The ministry said it failed to find the cause of the radiation but ruled out a possible underground nuclear test by North Korea. It cited no evidence of a strong earthquake that must follow an atomic explosion.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Could the North Koreans have achieved nuclear fusion? Pyongyang announces that its scientists have successfully achieved nuclear fusion back in May and now mysterious radiation, a concentration of xenon gasses, is detected on the border between North and South Korea. Although they didn't detect any seismic activity, I wonder if this radiation being detected is related to their claim of nuclear fusion. Scientists do admit that the xenon gasses could be coming from Russia or China, but this seems to be unlikely, right?

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Extremely interesting news that could be a game changer for the Korean peninsular. Could North Korea really have the technology to achieve nuclear fusion?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Another intresting post airspoon

Im no expert in nuclear detection apart from military NBC training but how could it be detected on the border but yet possibly come from maybe Russia? (china is a given due to location).

If they come from Russia then i would imagine that it would be detected from near the Chinese/Russian,Inner Mongoliia region.

It would have to cross extremely large land masses to be detected that far south but not detected elsewhere? (thats if they test anywhere else which i presume most of the planets border regions are monitored).

My bets on North Korea but then again this is FAUX News so a large dollop of salt is taken...

S&F

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Master Shen long]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
maybe they're (NK) putting dirty bombs beneath the DMZ, sort of a tripwire just in case the south invades. sounds wild, but in war anything goes. right?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
"Homefront" is becoming more and more viable....

My money is on N Korea owning S Korea this summer if the rumour of 23/6/10 is true.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Found an article with the atomic expert that was not identified in the OP article.

Thee whole story seems legit. Fox is not the only source.

A fusion test must be conducted at extremely high levels of pressure and temperature inside a reactor and scientists form such an environment by detonating a uranium-based bomb, said nuclear expert Whang Joo-ho of South Korea's Kyung Hee University. "It's doubtful North Korea could have exploded one without a seismic wave being detected," Whang said.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
So what do we think the North Koreans are going to do with nuclear fusion capabilities? Clean and limitless energy or hydrogen bombs?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Nuclear fusion or major nuclear accident?

the latter seems more likely.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

North Korea infact did do two nuclear tests, I have been listening to NewsRadio, a (news radio station). It also does have the bbc through it. So I get to listen when the bbc has "their stuff" on the radio.

Soon, the North and South Korea will have a all out war.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
So what do we think the North Koreans are going to do with nuclear fusion capabilities? Clean and limitless energy or hydrogen bombs?

Defend themselves from attack by the USA!

Only mad world leaders want Nukes and the USA has 5,000-10,000 of them and are using black ops against half the world so who's mad if they want to defend themselves

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
In an ideal world a place such as North Korea which suffers power outages very frequently and struggles to provide sufficient energy needs for its people should use this technology to create and maintain clean and limitless energy, it should also share this technology for the greater good of mankind.

But we do not live in an ideal world and I fear that the North Koreans main objective will be not clean energy but instead will be hydrogen bombs.

This is assuming they have mastered nuclear fusion of course, not a far off task for them considering the previous tests.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Wow! This seems to raise the stakes some with the ongoing drama known as the Korean Peninsula. Abnormal radiation levels along the DMZ, it seems Dear Leader and his band of atomic scientists have been burning the midnight oil in their pursuit of physicist, Edward Teller's baby, the hydrogen bomb? No doubt their pursuit of such a device is another means to buck the US/South Korea from engaging North Korea in hostilities. Have they mastered nuclear fusion as they have claimed, or is it just more saber rattling and rhetoric from the North? As it stands now, it looks as though they are still developing nuclear fusion technology and maybe this leak occurred as a result of that?

Abnormal radiation detected near Korean border

Since the wind was blowing from north to south when the xenon was detected, a Science Ministry official said the gas could not have originated from any nuclear power plants in South Korea.

But the official - speaking on condition of anonymity, citing department policy - said the xenon could have come from Russia or China. Whang agreed, saying a nuclear test or radioactive leakage would be the only reasons that could explain the atmospheric concentration of xenon reported by the ministry.

A U.N. official in Vienna, however, said no signs of increased radioactivity were detected last month along the Korean border by the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization, a U.N. agency that looks for signs of nuclear testing worldwide.

This is a very interesting development, but under conventional wisdom, until there is a seismic event originating in North Korea; we can rule out a below ground hydrogen bomb detonation. That has not happened yet, and this leak is apparently from a reactor in either North Korea, China, or Russia at this time. Although this leak may be a result of the North's pursuit of that technology? As for the Faux News article being cited and their alleged propensity for ratcheting up controversy and war rhetoric, the article above is from the Miami Herald via the AP. So, there are multiple news agencies reporting this event. Great post airspoon!

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Im thinking this was done on purpose to scare South Korea and the United States. Get them to offer up an incentive.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I read a few articles earlier about this. I guess they chalked it to this, since the wind was blowing north to south when the xenon was detected, it could of came from anywhere, they said their best guess would be it came from either Russia or China and just so happen to come through NK.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

While this definitely could be the case, I find it a rather odd explanation, seeing how the wind would have to stay close to the ground, traveling through all of those mountains and what not.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleObserver
I read a few articles earlier about this. I guess they chalked it to this, since the wind was blowing north to south when the xenon was detected, it could of came from anywhere, they said their best guess would be it came from either Russia or China and just so happen to come through NK.

That's a strange explanation though. The gas would naturally disperse the further it travels. For it to still be at high concentrations after coming all the way from Russia seems a little incredible. China maybe a possibility but it seems to me a North Korean origin would be the most likely scenario.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
maybe they're (NK) putting dirty bombs beneath the DMZ, sort of a tripwire just in case the south invades. sounds wild, but in war anything goes. right?

I was thinking the same thing.
Could be anything. Little Kimmy isn't the sharpest tack in the box.
He's playing a very dangerous game, one that could get millions killed in a matter of minutes.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I know guys, that's not my explanation, that is just what the officials said about it. Since no recent seismic activity was monitored of a nuke test on the NK side, it has me wondering if they (NK) are moving the material some where or moving it close to the border for some reason, maybe getting ready to do something?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster
Only mad world leaders want Nukes and the USA has 5,000-10,000 of them and are using black ops against half the world so who's mad if they want to defend themselves

The world is ran by a bunch of madmen, North Korea, Russia which actually has more Nukes than the USA, China, India, Pakistan etc. The world is DOOMED I tell ya.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join