It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Floor Exploding! Where's the BOP?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by linux2216

Did you see them saying in the comments section on that site that one of the workers gave the finger to the camera? Those rotten turds!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Here is some video that I shot less than 1 hr ago:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
From what I know.

Skandi ROV 1 is above the BOP/actual leak, it's filming the thing capping oil and the dispersants breaking up the oil, which is why you white stuff and the uneven flow as the thick oil breaks up.

Enterprise ROV 1 is still showing the BOP.

Regarding Skandi ROV 2 I got 4 hours recorded before my pc stopped. I never saw any red glows but I did see the ROV being connected to that rock on the floor with a laser looking device as the ROV moved around twice shortly.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Watching these right now. Compared to just 5 hours ago, both of these have increased in intensity dramatically. Skandi ROV1 was nowhere near that violent earlier today.

Basically, its worse.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth
Watching these right now. Compared to just 5 hours ago, both of these have increased in intensity dramatically. Skandi ROV1 was nowhere near that violent earlier today.

Basically, its worse.

Wow, have to wonder what the daily flow rate is now.

If they were admitting to 100K BPD, we could be tripple that now.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gold_Bug
Here is some video that I shot less than 1 hr ago:

i don't have television and i never can see the live feeds, but wasn't it....blacker before?

like, is it obviously spewing more gas...or is my mind playing tricks on me?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
First.
It's not magma but lava you people are talking about and there's none.
Nada, zero, nothing.

If it was magma it wouldn't be red but gray/black and there won't be anything to watch because everything down there would be in orbit around our planet. Not that bad but you get the picture. Lava would be red.

Magma scenario
If they had tapped in an active strat volcano down there, this entire stuff would wave blown up and generated one huge column of ash. It would also have created a "mouth" a couple of 100 meters in diameter and everything down there (well, bore, BOP, rov's) would have gone up in the sky in that ash plume. If that had happened, oil leak wouldn't be the least of our problems.

Lava scenario
Not even sure it's possible to have a lava flow down there, because of the pressure, temperature and nature of hidden calderas. But I could be wrong.
Anyway. That lava would have melted everything and it would have created a crater too.

No volcano, no lava, certainly no magma. Take my word for it.

We see oil, reddish paint from BP's infrastructure and white clouds of dispersant being mixed with the leaking oil.

Otherwise I don't see anything unusual on the cams, compared to past weeks. It's still leaking the same amount of oil, whatever the real amount is. But I've the feeling they increased the injection of dispersant since a couple of days.

Hope this helps,
Nid

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I have to say it doesn't appear any worse than when they first put that cap atop the BOP. Prior to them hooking up that additional collection hose, you couldn't even see those 4 legs protruding on the bottom of that cap because of the outflow. Sometimes the output looks greater when they close off that manifold for a while, but even then it still doesn't look like as much as in the beginning. Certainly though, as the pressure eventually begins to drop down below in that reservoir, any frozen methane will begin to turn into gas, thus probably pushing the pressure back up there again. It probably will eventually start to slow and grow and slow and grow.

BTW, that containment cap sure looks deceptively smaller down below when there isn't anything within the picture to reference its size alongside. Here's a picture of the thing while it was topside. It sure looks big in this picture, but not so much when you are looking at those ROV cams.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Lava scenario
Not even sure it's possible to have a lava flow down there, because of the pressure, temperature and nature of hidden calderas. But I could be wrong.
Anyway. That lava would have melted everything and it would have created a crater too.

No volcano, no lava, certainly no magma. Take my word for it.

We see oil, reddish paint from BP's infrastructure and white clouds of dispersant being mixed with the leaking oil.

Hope this helps,
Nid

www.youtube.com...

Just to point out, it is possible.

Starts about 20 seconds into the video.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mtmouse34

Thanks mate.
And it's another proof this is not happening at Deepwater.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Looks like a lot more gas/methane.
And a lot less oil.

The gas will move through the production layer faster then the oil.
We may be seeing a depletion of the oil around the well bore.

Are they still burning the oil off? What would happen if that ignited?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
What are these lights? camera?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef2b10a19912.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by yuefo

One of the other ROVs. You see it quite regularly on the board where all the feeds are. Last night one of the ROVs checked out the top of another. Maybe checking it for problems.

I'd love to know what that coil of hose is on the sea floor that one ROV seems locked onto. Every now and then the view is obliterated by sediment/dispersant/oil.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
ROV1 is coated with oil - this thing is breeching containment wildly! everyone MUST LOOK !! wow - I watched this thing and it was just a rolling cloud. I fell asleep and just now AWAKENED TO SEE WHAT LOOKS LIKE A WILD CYCLONE OF OIL FILLED WATERS GOING EVERYWHERE with the lens covered in oil spots!

before:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e27fecd69fd2.jpg[/atsimg]

after: (NOW!)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a433883201d5.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 6/21/2010 by Megiddodiddo]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Megiddodiddo

Seems to me that Skandi's ROV 1 has simply got its camera focused in way too close. Could be they are trying to analyze what's coming out right now, or it could simply be that the thing is stuck.

I base this observation from watching other ROV cams (like e.g. Ocean Intervention III's ROV 2) that are also aimed at the leak/BOP. You'll see that while it's still gushing like crazy it doesn't seem to be magnitudes worse than yesterday. It's still horrendous, though.

Another poster mentioned that the BOP is clearly tilting and that the degree of tilt is increasing. If that poster or anyone else can show some evidence for this, then that would be appreciated. If that 450-ton BOP goes over then the pipe it's attached to will snap off and the leak will be totally out of control. (If anyone thinks it's out of control now, then wait and see what happens if the BOP and its upper assembly is no longer there.
)

EDIT: I did a search and found that there is evidence for the BOP's tilt. Refer to this ATS thread and also this one.

So, as we have confirmation from a BP source that the BOP is tilting, this only exacerbates the concerns and makes the need for finding a solution even more urgent.

[edit on 21/6/10 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
More screenshots (this time I went full screen on the feed):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eff92aac8e91.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1bbade6a6d0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bddbd058e952.jpg[/atsimg]

LIVE Feed

This isn't focused in, this blowout has erupted! there's oil hitting the lens.

I looked at the other cams, and they all seem docile compared to this - so at least the floor hasnt buckled yet... It seems that it's well on its way to however, and fast !

[edit on 6/21/2010 by Megiddodiddo]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
"When concentration of methane gets high enough to be interesting, it fizzes out like Alka-Seltzer."

On a 2002 Gulf trip, oceanographers probed locations of hydrate deposits with sonar and by direct observation. They also took piston cores, giant cylinders of seafloor sediment from 21 locations around GOM. They poked holes in cores along plastic casings to observe release of pressure.

"The pressure can blast sediment out of the top of the core barrel, flying in one instance, 10 meters into the air before landing in the water."

scicom.ucsc.edu...

Science Notes 2004: Energy Savior? Or Impending Disaster?

The article also discusses the possibility of landslide caused by release of these pressures.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Alethea]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Megiddodiddo

There may well be oil hitting the lens of that particular camera. There can be several reasons why that image is so poor. But if you look at the other feeds of the BOP you'll see that it's still in place (for now), and while the flow is still horrendous it is not magnitudes worse than a day ago.

As for the sea floor "exploding", I see no evidence of that. If such were the case I think they'd be pulling all of their assets out of the area pronto. Not just the ROV's (which are still in place and running) but the surface vessels that link to them. Such an explosion could release enormous amounts of gas over a wider area and any ships in the region could sink due to sudden loss of buoyancy, let alone the risk of uncontrolled surface ignitions and explosions of gas and oil.

There's no denying that if the BOP goes over and the well is then totally out of control, pretty well anything could happen, including the horrors I've mentioned above. But it hasn't happened. Yet.

I'm just trying to keep a balanced perspective here. That's all. I don't like this situation and its potential consequences any more than you do. It's an unmitigated disaster and there's no end in sight for the near term, and perhaps not even for months or years in the future.

Mike

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Megiddodiddo
This isn't focused in, this blowout has erupted! there's oil hitting the lens.

As I mentioned earlier, I do believe it looks all scary like it does right now because they most likely have their fan blowing on it again to help it mix in with the dispersant. I've seen this happen every night now for over a week. They turn it on and off periodically. Nothing I seen this morning is really any different than the last few days, other than the entire BOP keeps looking a little more tilty every couple of days. It's definitely going eventually tip over, because that isn't solid rock just beneath the BOP, it's sediment (to what depth I can't recall, but there is information on that somewhere, I've seen it myself).

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
They moved the cam a bit back now on that feed, just to make our little ATS panic mode boys sad.

I just followed, for nearly an hour, the intervention they made on the cap. Quite impressive to watch.
On the different cams, as mentioned by justMike, we clearly saw their was no increase of leakage compared to past days. I am even wondering if they didn't seal one of the sides of the cap with this intervention.

Nid

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join