It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why am I not seeing an "edit" button for my posts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I just recently got a friend of mine to join ATS, and she was lamenting the fact that one of her posts contained a few spelling errors. I told her no problem, just click "edit" and you can fix your post.

Only problem is she can't find the "edit" button.

And neither can I!

What's the deal? Is it only possible to edit a post if nobody's replied to it yet?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by flightsuit

You lose the ability to edit the post after a certain period of time, I think it's two days from the time of post, but not sure.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
reply to post by flightsuit

You lose the ability to edit the post after a certain period of time, I think it's two days from the time of post, but not sure.

Maybe its 6 to 12 hours.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Something weird happened to me today. I posted a sentence and went to go eat then see toy story 3 with my fam. When I came home I saw my post but it was blank and had to edit it. It was about 8 hours. Butt I swear I typed it in and when I came back my post was blank.

-Viva la raza.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I could be wrong, but I think the edit feature coincides with the server time and edits are allowed only within the same 24-hour period. So if you make a post at 20:00 (8PM) server time, then come back at 1:00AM and try to edit, it will not let you.

Whereas, if you make a post at 14:00 server time, then return 8 hours later at 22:00, it WILL let you edit still.

[edit on 21/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
The ability to edit posts is lost after a period of time.

This is to prevent people from selectively editing their posts/editing in insults etc and changing the conversation strand completely from its original course.

Hope that clears it up

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

It has never been clear to me as to the alloted amount of time allowed to edit a post. From my short time here on ATS the most common answer I have seen is that it relates to the server date and the 24 hour period that correlates to it, as stated previously in this thread.

I hope with the new ATS that there will be a clear time period for editing posts. Regardless of it being 1 hour or 1 day, or it being set to the server's date. Clarity would be beneficial to all members, IMO.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Thanks for clarifying that, people! It really does make sense to disallow edits after a short period, 'cause there are so many heated debates on this site.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I'm not sure but I think the edit window is 2 hours.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheChemist187

They're baaaaack...........

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I'm not sure but I think the edit window is 2 hours.

I read 2 hours somewhere, but what that may be is a minimum or something. I always recall having at LEAST 2 hours to edit a post. But I know I have edited posts way more than 2 hours after I made them. So I'm fascinated by some of the guesses in this thread about how that edit time period works. It's surprising that nobody really seems to know how long we have.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I've been able to edit for spelling errors 8 to 20 hours later. As mentioned above previously I think it is based on the server.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
there is room for cheating ...just so someone besides me knows ...from my accidentally finding out this..

If your like me..sometimes you need to get up and leave and I count on the PC hibernating.....4-5 days later I re-opened my browser..it brought up the last page I was on...still had the edit function from an un-re-freshed browser....it can be done indefinately that way if you leave your PC on your last post and the screen saver kicks in or hibernates...and you don't have the staff reset the site ...signing you out...
I know this is not a problem...just an FYI for the staff

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'm sure if the edit is to add some more pertinent detail to the OP a quick u2u with a mod might be able to let you add some more info.
I'm not saying they will, just a maybe.

new topics

top topics

join