It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the ultimate B.P. Gulf disaster could kill millions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

www.helium.com

Disturbing evidence is mounting that something frightening is happening deep under the waters of the Gulf of Mexico—something far worse than the BP oil gusher. What makes the location that Transocean chose potentially far riskier than other potential oil deposits located at other regions of the Gulf? It can be summed up with two words: methane gas
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
B.P. Geologists were warned and should have known well ahead of time that they were drilling in an unstable and dangerous area of the seabed.

Fear is now that with the emerging evidence of fissures the whole seabed could rupture releasing this huge methane bubble into the gulf waters.Which would create a huge sudden displacement of water creating a mega tsunami.

www.helium.com

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Frustratingly, he does not list any sources or cite any of those "reports" he says he is drawing upon. Frankly, it could be nothing more than hype to draw readership.

Or, it could be true.

Who knows. Certainly not me. Though, I am deeply concerned about the frozen hydrates.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Im really afraid to think about just how much worse that this situation can honestly get.

What would happen if a Hurricane formed in the middle of this oil?

This is a bad situation that can only get worse from here on out.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm pretty damn scared myself, but i'm looking for answers, not guesses... i don't know who are what to believe anymore... all i know is that i live here next to this thing and i'm scared of just how bad things might get. i mean, how far inland do most tsunami's go? And how much further would a mega tsunami go?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

Dunno about the GoM if it's a mega-tsumani event but this has been batted around for a goodly number of years now...

Mega Tsunami: A Ticking Bomb Ready to Annihilate the U.S. Eastern Coast

[snip]

One of the more immediate issues scientists are dealing with is the probability of a mega tsunami hitting the eastern coast of the United States. According to the History Channel and Wikipedia, there is a possible landslide that could occur off of the northern tip of the African continent that could send over 100 million tons of rock slamming into the Atlantic Ocean. This place is known as the Canary Islands. This type of wave could send a massive tidal wave reaching up to 1 half kilometer into the sky. That is higher than any skyscraper in the world. The massive tidal wave would destroy anything in its path with sheer force. Those on the eastern coast of the United States would helplessly see a massive wall of water coming their way.

The massive tidal wave is referred to as a mega tsunami by most scientists. This wave would most likely reach about 12 to 16 miles inland causing over 100 billion dollars in damage and millions of deaths. There will most likely not be enough warning time to evacuate that many people in such a short time. Five hours may seem like enough time, but the time required move millions of people at once is much greater. The damage would be worse than any hurricane or typhoon in modern times.

Link

Hope it helps, or allows a modicum of peace.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

That is a very scary thought indeed. This whole thing is absolutely HORRENDOUS to say the least. And the possibilities that it can turn WAY worst is always very possible.

If the big shot oil tycoons do not STOP buying out, and crushing technologies that eliminate our need for oil, we better find a DIFFERENT planet to live on as we are DESTROYING this one FAST!!!!

The common people of the planet wouldn't have to rely on oil if the CORRUPT oil tycoons who have only PROFIT and GREED on the their minds 24/7 would try to think about our planet and life itself for a CHANGE.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON

www.helium.com

Disturbing evidence is mounting that something frightening is happening deep under the waters of the Gulf of Mexico—something far worse than the BP oil gusher. What makes the location that Transocean chose potentially far riskier than other potential oil deposits located at other regions of the Gulf? It can be summed up with two words: methane gas

I am not_sure_how the BP Oil Spill could kill the millions of people, I am sure that a nother event, as'in for something else, a nother situation that would need to set the 'prophecies for a linked-chained set of events' type that would need_to happen.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geeky_Bubbe

The massive tidal wave is referred to as a mega tsunami by most scientists. This wave would most likely reach about 12 to 16 miles inland

And this is just a guess on their part right? I'm about 20 miles inland in louisiana, and scared!

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Under Water]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I can only begin to imagine the fear this event and the oft wild speculations your post suggests. I'm sorry. I know that sounds just about as disingenuous as one could sound, but I am sorry. It is posts such as yours that always makes me regret that the internet is only "so many bits and bytes" and not a physical reality where folk could draw comfort from each other.

Please remember that of the bad things we discuss in this section are pretty remote in possibility. You probably have a far greater likelihood of being struck dead by a bolt of lightning or a crashing meteor.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

You ever see that disaster movie where that 200 foot wall of water swept over the city as the people stood there in awe and awaited the inevitable, yep that’s you!
I would find an out of state friend to live with for oh say the next year.
G walks away singing,
Yes I’ve got oceanfront property in Minn e sota form my front porch you can smell the oil.
Sorry just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I ran across this info on the subject....

Methane Is Newest BP Oil Spill Threat For Gulf of Mexico
www.huliq.com...

The “flow team” of the US Geological Survey estimates that 2,900 cubit feet of methane gas is being released into the gulf waters with every barrel of oil. The constant flow of 20,000 barrels of crude oil would place the total daily amount of methane at roughly 5.8 million cubic feet.
Methane gas depletes the natural oxygen levels found in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico which are crucial for the survival of plankton and other sea creatures in the natural food chain. The high concentration of methane is now threatening to suffocate the seafood population.
The US Geological Survey team estimates that since the April 20th accident on the Deepwater Horizon oil platform that 4.5 billion cubic feet of methane has already been released but the total amount could be as high as 9 billion cubic feet.
Methane is released from the well through the partially capped rising pipe at the bottom of the gulf because of insufficient cementing bond logs that would seal the head of the well.
BP has been accused of cutting corners during the drilling process by not applying the cementing bond log as well as an insufficient use of centralizers

According to John Kessler, a Texas A&M University oceanographer who is studying the impact of methane from the BP oil spill, the crude oil emanating from the seafloor contains about 40% methane compared to about 5% found in typical crude oil deposits.

Kessler has encountered similar findings. Since he began his on-site research on Saturday, he said he has already found oxygen depletions of between 2 percent and 30 percent in waters 1,000 feet (300 meters) deep.

As new data comes in, NOAA and other federal agencies will get a more accurate read on methane concentrations and the effects.

"The question is what's going on in the deeper, colder parts of the ocean," he said. "Are the (methane) concentrations going to overcome the amount of available oxygen? We want to make sure we're not overloading the system."

How The BP Gulf Disaster Could Kill Millions

[edit on 21-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
From pages 2 and 3 of the article:

The ultimate Gulf disaster, however, would make even those historical horrors pale by comparison. If the huge methane bubble breaches the seabed, it will erupt with an explosive fury similar to that experienced during the eruption of Mt. Saint Helens in the Pacific Northwest. A gas gusher will surge upwards through miles of ancient sedimentary rock—layer after layer—past the oil reservoir. It will explode upwards propelled by 50 tons psi, burst through the cracks and fissures of the compromised sea floor, and rupture miles of ocean bottom with one titanic explosion.

The burgeoning methane gas cloud will surface, killing everything it touches, and set off a supersonic tsunami with the wave traveling somewhere between 400 to 600 miles per hour.

While the entire Gulf coastline is vulnerable, the state most exposed to the fury of a supersonic wave towering 150 to 200 feet or more is Florida. The Sunshine State only averages about 100 feet above sea level with much of the coastline and lowlands and swamps near zero elevation.

A supersonic tsunami would literally sweep away everything from Miami to the panhandle in a matter of minutes. Loss of human life would be virtually instantaneous and measured in the millions. Of course the states of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and southern region of Georgia—a state with no Gulf coastline—would also experience tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of casualties.

Loss of property is virtually incalculable and the days of the US position as the world's superpower would be literally gone in a flash...of detonating methane.

Report about the Late Paleocene Thermal Maximum (LPTM), which occurred around 55 million years ago and lasted about 100,000 years. Large undersea methane caused explosions and mass extinctions.

Wow, that is scary! S&F!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yet another topic with evidence of nothing and doomsday predictions.

I can't even browse this forum for fear of being sucked into a vacuum of stupidity.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

I'm going to quote my post from the closed thread here.

I'm less worried about this as it is right now. I do think that this is a good reason to not put a nuke down hole. As a catalyst goes, that might do it.

I'd have to see some modelling.

What I would be more concerned with is not that the current circumstance might release the methane hydrates to bubble up as a mass at once. I believe it needs a catalyst to do so. A comet. A large volcanic event. A large slip and split earthquake.

What I would be concerned about is that it might be the start of a slower release. One that is much easier to ignore but still has climate and health impact.

edit to add: Of all the "conspiracy" angles that I've seen and contemplated this is one. That the bed of methane hydrates in the Gulf has been assessed as a severe security threat. That as a way of undermining that security threat goes, triggering something to slow release that threat to disperse it was determined to be needed. And that this is it. Because, I gotta tell ya I'd be tempted to do it myself.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
What gets me about this story is not that it has happened in the past or that it may happen in the future. What gets me is that in the last two months I have seen this idea being presented through non-news, non-current event programs.

I have seen programs dealing with this scenario on both the Discovery (dealt with an event in the Permian era) and History (hypothetical future disaster) channel recently. There was also an older program rerun very recently on Space/SciFi discussing the Bermuda Triangle mystery as possiblly being related to methane releases destabilizing the water/air column causing ships/planes to sink/crash.

None of this is new to me, it just seems that there is a push on to make sure people are aware of the potential all of a sudden without directly relating it to BP and the Gulf.

Something isn't right.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Just another dose of fear mongering garbage, but we've now upped the ante as we're PAYING the people who write this tripe!! Helium links shouldn't be allowed here as the person is getting money each time the link is clicked.

THAT's why you keep seeing this same Helium link pop up here every couple days. While you're shaking in your boots(or acting like you are anyways) this guy is laughing all the way to the bank.

Cha-Ching!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Re the methane debate - on the thread entitled, 'Toxologist; Corexit destroys basic biological structure of life; vid', near bottom of page 6, StarTraveller posted a youtube video by David Attenburgh, (not Richard) who is one of the leading UK authorities in nature, wildlife etc and has made award winning docu's for decades, and in this clip he talks about the methane under the GoM and the beautiful ecosystem that sustains itself in harmony with the considerable amount of gases being released. Wonder if that little world still exists...
SO - they HAD to have known what they were dealing with down there BEFORE they decoded to drill ( all that ****ing hubris!)

Sorry, can't figure out how to link. Help?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

BP's View:
BP America spokesman Robert Wine told Surge Desk that Matai's claims were unfounded, saying: "Of course there's natural gas down there. That's what's coming up, that's what we've been burning this whole time. It's what caused the explosion in the first place, after all, so where does this idea of another bubble or explosion come from? It is a bit difficult to comment on the claims of unspecified geologists."

Could Gulf Oil Leak Lead to Methane-Bubble Tsunami? BP Responds

'IF' and it’s a pretty big if this does happen then a lot of people will be saying I told you so and a lot of hats will be consumed that’s for sure.

As with anything on this scale, knowledge of potential events is a better tool than prediction tables of these events, I would rather know a little about something in the hope of not needing the knowledge than experience something I know nothing about.

I think the main purpose of threads such as this is to help raise awareness of what 'Could' happen regardless of odds of it actually happening and not so much fear mongering. I know the saying goes 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing' but with the scale the chain of events unravelling in the Gulf and shear scale of the unknown everything we can learn surely could help us deal with situations should they arise.

I hope to the dear lord above that this never happens but because of the 'Unknown' factor and BS we are being fed nothing at this stage can be written off as hearsay or fear mongering.

(Edited to correct spelling, grammer and punctuation)

[edit on 15-7-2010 by StarTraveller]

[edit on 15-7-2010 by StarTraveller]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

Hey StarTraveller - re my post just before this one of yours, could you give that link that David Attenburgh did about the ecosystem and methane under the Gulf? The one you posted under the toxologist thread? V pertinent to this thread I think...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join