It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insomniac's lounge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hello there fellow sufferers...

It seems to me insomnia is on the rise; I know its a big problem for me personally and I wondered how many other ATSers are insomniacs. If so, what do you do about it, if anything? Do you think the trend is on a rise, and if so, why? Any other observations, etc. more than welcome.

[edit on 6/20/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
i've been an insomniac all of my adult life - i guess i should say all my life but when i was a kid living at home, somehow it got stifled even if i just spent many a countless night staring up at the ceiling or looking out the window with my radio headphones on...

and in truth, i don't think of myself as an insomniac when i'm the only one to consider - i'm just nocturnal instead of diurnal!

i do think that the general population's *dream life* is subtly but steadily amping up and i'm sure that causes increased sleep disturbances - especially in those souls who had no idea the world was going to truly change in their lifetime!

a lot of people have been thrown a curve-ball, or at least that's probably how it seems to them, hit blind-sided all of a sudden this summer with all this crap that has befallen Earth.

when i am up and about at night, i do feel more consciousness around me than i used to. if that makes sense - i can feel those who are awake as a different energy than the slumbering world.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'm not really an insomniac, but an owl person... Since I was a baby, I never went to sleep early, never. And my mom hated that.
Anyway, I always go to bed by 3-4 AM, and I work the best by night! What's a problem, because I'm nothing by day, I can't concentrate and I'm always sleepy

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
My new favorite thread. I rarely get to sleep before sunrise. luckily I don't have a day job. but star and flag for the insomnia research being done here. maybe if we all pull together we find an answer, not just "I am nocturnal"

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Yup Im have insomnia as well. Always stay up wayy late. What do I during my time awake? Simple, educate myself here on ATS.
I read so much.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Insomnia has been a constant for me since I was a small child. I've only found one thing that resolved my inability to sleep, and that was Ambien. Unfortunately Ambien would sometimes allow me to be physically awake, acting like a drunk person and I would have no recollection of anything that happened when I woke the next day. So, needless to say, I had to stop taking it.

Aside from that, the only way I've found to cope is to lay in bed and read. It doesn't make me sleep very often, but at least I feel physically rested, to a degree, the next day.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Excellent thread idea

I've had insomnia all my life.

It was a real problem when I was in school, I would just be falling asleep when it was time to wake up and get ready for school. Most of the time I would go to school on 3 hours or less of sleep, then take naps during class. I've never tried sleeping pills, just my choice. I really don't mind it now, I work the midnight shift so its all good.

I've always wondered if the time of day or night when you were born has anything to do with having insomnia, so this thread seems like the perfect place to take a survey of everybody who has insomnia. How many people here who have insomnia were born during the night? Lets say between the hours of 8pm and 4am? Write your normal reply to the OP then at the end of your post just put in the time you were born.

I was born at 2am.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Mine comes and goes. I've got a dog that is pregnant, and if she just whimpers, I am up, and can't go back to sleep. I guess I'm a light sleeper, and if I wake up past midnight, I'm up again until I'm exhausted.

I do know that for me at least, I start waking up ealier, beginning in February, when daylight starts coming around earlier. I usually wake up a good hour before dawn.

I said this in another thread, but, I think my waking up early, comes from being in a family that has a long line going way back, of being farmers.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Damn double post!

[edit on 22-6-2010 by ALOSTSOUL]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have been an insomnia sufferer for a while, well I say "suffer" it really doesn't get to me. Its not that i'm an insomniac I just don't need much sleep.

I can go asleep at 4 or 5 in the morning and still get up for work at 8 feeling refreshed.

The only thing that does bug me is the boredom, there not much to do that early in the morning.

Peace! my fellow night owls.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by ALOSTSOUL]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

I was born at 3:15 in the afternoon and my brother was born at 2:00 in the morning, he was always the first to fall asleep when we were kids.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Well Insomniac is definitely me.

I usually stay awake until mixed times, sometimes only until 2 a.m. or even as late as 9 a.m. but I go to college online so that's no problem for me.

I kept trying to correct this many times and every time I would just stay up later and later until I got back to going to sleep at 3 a.m. But I was tired the whole day until night and that is when I could concentrate, think and feel motivated.

They say that insomnia is on the rise due to artificial lighting and people staying inside more often. This lighting confuses your internal clock. They did an experiment on an insomniac, he would stay up until 1 a.m. every morning but they made him turn off his television and all other lighting even computers at 8 p.m. and he fell asleep at 9 p.m.

I think that means he was bored to sleep.

Wouldn't it be kind of cool if we just decided to form like an insomniac exploration group? We travel at night and see the sights and the stars while everyone else is asleep.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I take ambien.

i think im nocturnal as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
E very waking moment
fitful bursts of sleeplessness
posing as dreams

To the OP. I don't think it is a growing problem, just that we have more free times on our hands than our forefathers.

My doctor told me I belong in another time zone.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I have always had insomnia. I hate it. I would LOVE to sleep in til noon or sleep for more than 2 or 3 hrs at at time. I have gotten use to it. I don't take any medicine. I tried ambien and it freaked me out. I made a steak dinner and didn't even remember it the next day! I woke up with the plate on my night stand and left overs in the fridge. I did NOT like forgetting an entire evening. What I take now I can't discuss on here due to T&C.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

I was born at 12:40am.

I never thought if time of birth could be a factor. Interesting..

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ive had sleep problems all my adult life, im rarely asleep before the day breaks. I get about four hours of sleep a night even when im working. I would say that at least once in every couple of weeks i have to stay up through the whole night and next day to try and help my bodyclock back in check.

I was referred to a sleep clinic a few year back now, but i never went. Theres times when i wish i had because i have never had a proper sleep routine.

CaF

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I've always been a night person, even as a small child. My mother tells me the difference between me and my siblings was great; they always fell asleep at a normal time while I stayed awake well into the night.

Even now I sometimes end up staying up all night and finally falling asleep the next night after about 36-40 hours awake. I might sleep a little longer than normal that night, but not much -- no more than an hour or so.

I was born at 9:30 am, so I don't know what that does to the theory about birth time affecting sleep cycle.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
In a large number of people insomnia i a chemical disorder of the brain.

For me i have a 30 hour internal clock. not a 24 hour.
Before i found a treatment for my fibromyalgia restless leg syndrome and apnea it was a 72 hour internal clock.
www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org...

For people with painful disorders the brain changes and your normal chemical balance is no longer there.
And even though you later get the pain under controll the chemical imbalance stays there.

The brain chemical that promote sleep are overridden by pain chemicals.

Sleep apnea my also override these sleep chemicals.

Plus over the counter herbal remedies are basically worthless except as placebos.

There are a number of them chamomile, valerian root, kava kava, lemon balm, passionflower, lavender, and St. John’s Wort. Melatonin

Many could not get to the brain because they are larger the allowed by the blood brain barrier.

One strange thing is some people find is that Provigil a narcolepsy med works for Insomnia if taken first thing in the morning.

Most doctors treat with serotonin enhancing drugs like anti depressants.
While these may work for a few(that likely have depression) they ether have little effect beyond placebo in many others.

My doctors tried them on me and they made things worse.
plus i ended up with serotonin syndrome on top of everything else.

luckly i only had a head to toe itching as a symptom of serotonin syndrome

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AquaDuck

Yea I don't think what time you were born has anything to do with insomnia. There are many other factors that come into play. I was just interested in seeing the numbers. Its just easier to say, well I was born at night so I am naturally nocturnal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join