It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flood Created A Canyon in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (June 20, 2010) — In the summer of 2002, a week of heavy rains in Central Texas caused Canyon Lake -- the reservoir of the Canyon Dam -- to flood over its spillway and down the Guadalupe River Valley in a planned diversion to save the dam from catastrophic failure. The flood, which continued for six weeks, stripped the valley of mesquite, oak trees, and soil; destroyed a bridge; and plucked meter-wide boulders from the ground. And, in a remarkable demonstration of the power of raging waters, the flood excavated a 2.2-kilometer-long, 7-meter-deep canyon in the bedrock.

Isn't it ironic that, in 2002, it would be from a lake called Canyon lake that is held by a dam called the Canyon Dam this happened. Life's little mysteries.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20/6/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
yes, and that's the number one hotspot for beer drinking river floaters to cool off in the summer. we travel for 5 hours to get there. it's taken over by 20,000 people,,,it's cold water in the summer time

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Interesting article. I enjoyed this quote:

Our traditional view of deep river canyons, such as the Grand Canyon, is that they are carved slowly, as the regular flow and occasionally moderate rushing of rivers erodes rock over periods of millions of years. Such is not always the case, however. "We know that some big canyons have been cut by large catastrophic flood events during Earth's history," Lamb says.

I'm always interested in reading that the "accepted view" may not be true. To speculate, what kind of flood would be needed to carve the Grand Canyon? And yes, I see the irony.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

Hells yes. I have a trip planned for the 4th of july.,.....which happens to be my birthday.

new topics

top topics

join