It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado rips apart Billings Montana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Here is a YouTube video of a tornado that destroyed the MetraPark arena in Billings Montana just a couple of hours ago.

So far only minor injuries reported, but the building and multiple other buildings in Billings have been destroyed. Thought you all might want to see the power of this in action. This has been updated to an F2 from an F1 I reported earlier.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
WOW!

Thanks for that. I live in Montana and have family in that general area. I wasn't even aware of it. After seeing it, I confirmed it from our local TV station website :

www.kpax.com...

I hope everyone is okay. ( Guess I better be making some phone calls )

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yeah..I live here too, but a little east of Billings. We are still getting hit by these storms that have been going on off and all all afternoon.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Wild video.

Surprised those cars just kept driving forward.

Hope everyone is safe.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Here is more on this story. Full story still being updated from the local paper:

Tornado destroys MetraPark arena, Heights stores

billingsgazette.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
That's nothing compared to a FLOOD CREATING A CANYON IN 3 DAYS in Texas. I will bring up the link in a thread of mine.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
that was nuts. like get away from it now was my reaction. floating huge chunks man.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by bonkera]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bonkera

Yeah. And what you can see in the video actually just a small amount of the damage. The entire roof was removed from the 12,000 seat arena. Multiple businesses for a half a mile up the road to the left were destroyed or damaged.

They are going to close about 2 miles of one of the busiest roads in town indefinitely. the one the arena is on.

And the last thing I'm hearing is 20 National Guard troops are being deployed to help secure property along that road.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

And the last thing I'm hearing is 20 National Guard troops are being deployed to help secure property along that road.

KPAX out of Missoula updated and reported the NWS ( National Weather Service ) is saying the tornado was an EF2 with winds roughly 100mph. Report also stated that there had been a game just the night before in that arena.

That is just crazy.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Very interesting. I have always been a fan of Tornadoes. They are really amazing.

I do have one question for the members who have lived or currently live in that part of the country, how common are tornadoes in that part of the country?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

That's sort of a trick question.

There are usually multiple tornado days a year. Today had multiple tornadoes itself though. However, most of this state, and entire region actually is very rural. So when they do hit, it is usually just across a field and almost always go unnoticed except on radar. Or by a farmer who's field was damaged or rancher who's cows went flying.

The other tornadoes today that I have heard of so far, were rural ones, with no widespread reports of damage. This one took even the weather forecasters sort of by surprise. There were some storms predicted, but there was no indication of this type of unsettled weather that was officially predicted.

new topics

top topics

join