It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing belt on JUPITER

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (June 20, 2010) — New and detailed observations from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope have provided insights into two recent events on Jupiter: the mysterious flash of light seen on 3 June and the recent disappearance of the planet's dark Southern Equatorial Belt.

I am confused can someone please explain to me how a planets belt can be missing? It's not like it's due to the immense pressures of it's atmosphere, and it's flammability ,creating a huge flash then disappeared.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Something about changing atmospheres I think, I'll google it for ya mate.

Busy but here's a shot

So, yes, it has certainly happened before! On to my last question: what causes it? Sanchez-Lavega told me "Apparently the aerosols and particles forming the South Equatorial Belt, which are dark at visual wavelengths, are overcome by a higher cloud deck of 'white' particles (probably ammonia ice crystals), producing in the region a zone-like aspect. It is also possible that the dark belt particles become coated by fresh ammonia frost on them." But, he added, the South Equatorial Belt isn't the only part of Jupiter that is changeable: "Certainly there are a lot of changes in the reflectivity of the belts and zones of Jupiter, linked to dynamical phenomena that we do not understand."

www.planetary.org...

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Republican08]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Something about changing atmospheres I think, I'll google it for ya mate.

Thanks! But I think it was something about a meteor not going deep enough then exploded in Jupiter's atmosphere.
(I was just joking about the flammability and all that stuff if you guys didn't know.)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gentill Abdulla
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (June 20, 2010) — New and detailed observations from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope have provided insights into two recent events on Jupiter: the mysterious flash of light seen on 3 June and the recent disappearance of the planet's dark Southern Equatorial Belt.

I am confused can someone please explain to me how a planets belt can be missing? It's not like it's due to the immense pressures of it's atmosphere, and it's flammability ,creating a huge flash then disappeared.

It's in the article you posted:

In the Hubble view, a slightly higher altitude layer of white ammonia ice crystal clouds appears to obscure the deeper, darker belt clouds.

The flash had nothing to do with it.

Republican08 beat me to it.

[edit on 6/20/2010 by Pauligirl]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Here is why they think the flash was there.

Instead the flash is thought to have come from a giant meteor burning up high above Jupiter's cloud tops, which did not plunge deep enough into the atmosphere to explode and leave behind any telltale cloud of debris, as seen in previous Jupiter collisions.

From the same article as in the op.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

SYMBOLISM

If you think of the symbolism, Jupiter/Ju-Pater/Yu-Peter/lost the belt that was red (lost weight),(Re-vealed by NASA ?) at the same time at Planet Earth, the BP (British Petroleum), Halliburton, TransOcean, (Think of those 3 (three) names.) Then think of Revelations. Lake of Fire. 1/3 of the Oceans.
(Hall/Hell/Heil/Hail) (Bur/Burn/Borne/Bourne/Born) (Ton) Hell Bore a Ton
British/Berith-Ish/Berith Ish/Ash/Berith Covenant (Baal-berith ("Baal of the Covenant") Petroleum Petro-leum (rock oil) (Petro/Peter/Pater)

top topics

join