It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran Rejects Restraint on Nuclear Program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
In a growing diplomatic conflict Iran seems to become more emboldened with each passing day. While aggressively pursuing nuclear power Iran has been accused of a secret ambition to use their new nuclear reactors to produce the needed fuel for nuclear weapons. Iran does not seem to be willing to back down in spite of warnings now from many nations including the U.S.A.

Original News Source:

Guardian

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Toughening its stance in advance of a meeting of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency, Iran on Saturday said it would reject international restrictions on its nuclear program and challenged the world to accept Tehran as a member of the ``nuclear club.

Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi rejected further outside influence on Tehran's nuclear ambitions two days before the International Atomic Energy Agency board of governors meets to discuss Iran's highly controversial program.

``We wont accept any new obligations, Kharrazi said. ``Iran has a high technical capability and has to be recognized by the international community as a member of the nuclear club. This is an irreversible path.

Iran has repeatedly insisted its nuclear program is geared toward generating electricity, not making weapons, but the United States and its allies say Tehran has a secret nuclear weapons program. The IAEA has wrestled with the dilemma for more than a year....

Please click the above original news source link for the full report.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Iran will not relent in fact they seem more bold now than ever. Iran being named in the Axis of Evil speech early on in the war on terrorism seemed to have brought great urgency to their nuclear program. Today it seems these nuclear reactors are near complete and the one most are worried about is a "heavy water" reactor which could be used to produce plutonium that can be used in extremely powerful nuclear bombs.

If Iran continues down this path Israel has warned they would launch a pre-emptive strike to take out these nuclear facilities as they did in Iraq back in the 1980's. and Iran has promised retaliation if Israel does attack.

The global community is pushing hard with diplomacy but so far it is failing in every way.

In my view... This looks like a very dangerous situation and I hate to even think of the implications. Lets hope these issues can be resolved through peaceful diplomacy. If not it would seem that yet another nuclear threat may have to be removed. and soon.

More News on Iran:

CNN.com: Iran wants recognition as nuclear nation

[edit on 6-12-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 6-15-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Just curious... Isreal has Nuke... US has Nukes... India has Nukes... Pakistan has nukes... All the G8 countries have nukes... So, why can`t Iran get their own? I cannot imagine any of the countries being told to actually get rid of every nuclear weapon. Of course us int he US want to stop it, because we have the most nukes and the most power. The US did nothing to stop Pakistan and India from testing nukes and keep on developing. Personally, I think that all nukes are bad, but if one country does it, then they cannot tell another country that they cannot.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
You know I am so tired of hearing they have it so we can have it to crap. I am going to get flamed for this but so the heck what - The Truman administration could have stopped all of this nuclear prolifiration crap by having the balls to call Russia on their poker hand in 1949 when it was dicovered that they had stolen the technology and demonstrated its use. This was a time when the soviets had a couple bombs that probably could not have been delivered to CONUS - The rest of the story is history and it did not have to be the way it was.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JCMinJapan
Just curious... Isreal has Nuke... US has Nukes... India has Nukes... Pakistan has nukes... All the G8 countries have nukes... So, why can`t Iran get their own?

because iran is a muslim country and would probably kill every "infidel" if they had power

seriously, look at all the other islamic "nations", they shouldnt be trusted t handle such power.

out, infidel.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This sickens me, all countries have the right to have nukes. Hell, nowadays it's the only way to keep the USA and other pests out of your countries business. Hopefully we will have a nuclear world war which causes an extinction level event and kills off the whole human race (that would put an end to our species petty little primal conflicts of crap throwing).

-Attero

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attero Auctorita
This sickens me, all countries have the right to have nukes. -Attero

I respect your opinion. and ALL are free to express their views here. This is ATS and it is an open forum. If you have not joined now is as good a time as any. I myself am just a member.

Now Attero, Iran is a nation of mainly radical Islamic Shi'ites who would think nothing of launching a nuclear attack on Israel if they had the weapons to do so. They are also very much anti-American, in fact they are against everything in western culture. To them we are all infidels. That being said there is a good number of Iranians who are more moderate in thinking. But they are still subject to the rule of the radicals.

Trust me these are the last people and the last nation on Earth we want having nuclear weapons.

Gazz

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Isn`t the US the only country to use an Atomic device on another country? IE Hiroshima and Nagasaki, even after the scientists that made the device warned to never use it? They even wrote letter to the President not to use them, but where ignored. Also, the second one dropped was after Japan told the US it was surrendering? If the US is supposedly the HONORABLE ones with weapons, then who can you trust? I say get rid of them from EVERY country. But, yes, the US has no right in forcing others to follow their rules. They let their allies have them! ISRAEL, PAKISTAN, INDIA...... You are telling me that you can trust those countries? It all depends on whom are ffriends with whom..... The US does not care about allies getting them, just not everyone else. I am sure many moons ago when we supported Iraq, we would have let them have nukes as well.... Think about that.

[edit on 12-6-2004 by JCMinJapan]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
So how do you take care of the Muslims who consider us infidels? SHould we lock them up in an undeground bunker and bulldoze over their country? I mean aren't we just creating more enemies with our actions?

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Phoenix... then tell us why we are so special that we can tell other nations what they can and can't have? Who are we? We aren't their superiors. We are just another nation that isn't leading by example. I'm sorry but if I worked for a company and the boss wasn't leading by example I'd have no respect for him and I'd tell him to take a hike. Much as Iran has.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
So how do you take care of the Muslims who consider us infidels? I mean aren't we just creating more enemies with our actions?

Very true! It is obvious that the American way of doing things is not how it is done in those countries from their traditions. They have been doing things their ways for alot longer than we in the US have been doing it. How would we feel if we were suddenly told not to have a democratic society? It would go against our basic beliefs.. right? Something easier to swallow... What if we were told that we are among the fattest in the world and to never eat McDonalds or any other fast food joint again? We would probably even be outraged at such an idea. Now, this is how they feel. If we want to make changes or try to bring about changes WE FEEL are necessary, then you have to work slowly together on the problem. Not forcing their hand. Did we ever seriously wonder why we are called infidels? Probably not too much as we have our set ideas especially with the "You are either with us or against us" speech. And we wonder why people hate us so much......

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
So how do you take care of the Muslims who consider us infidels? SHould we lock them up in an undeground bunker and bulldoze over their country?

no, just prevent them from getting weapons of mass destruction.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Why shouldn't they have WMD? So they can't defend themselves from us?

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Why shouldn't they have WMD? So they can't defend themselves from us?

cause it is a muslim nation.. dont you understand if they had a chance to kill all the infidels including you and me they would use it.. all hell would be out here in the middle east if the fanatical islamist obtain wmd.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
They would kill us? Why? Because we supply their enemy? Because we interfere with their right to be an independent nation? If we were at war with Mexico and China was funding the Mexican military do you really think we'd look the other way? Or if China had invaded us and Mexico was giving them. Would we just forget about Mexico? Heck no. But this is basically what Americans expect of the people in the middle east.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
They would kill us? Why? Because we supply their enemy? Because we interfere with their right to be an independent nation? If we were at war with Mexico and China was funding the Mexican military do you really think we'd look the other way? Or if China had invaded us and Mexico was giving them. Would we just forget about Mexico? Heck no. But this is basically what Americans expect of the people in the middle east.

... they think of people like you and me that we are just infidels and deserve to die for not being muslim, why dont you go to one of these nations, they will kill you by stoning/hanging and then you can come here and ask why we shouldnt allow them having any WMDs.. they cant be trusted.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Well first off if I went there and they killed me I wouldn't be able to come back and tell you about it

Now think about what you said. You want me to go as the enemy into a war zone. Now that wouldn't be very smart. How smart do you think it was after Pearl Harbor to walk to the streets of Main St. USA as a Japanese person? There are parts of American where I cannot walk the streets at night in safety and it isn't even a time of war. If the China invaded us do you think for a minute it would be safe for anyone of Chinese descent to walk down the street. HECK NO.

I wouldn't trust 99% of Americans with a WMD. Would you trust your neighbor with one? I certainly wouldn't trust mine. Just like I wouldn't trust the average man of any country with a WMD. But a government has a right to have them. Whether you like it or not. Lead by example. Disarm. I don't respect anyone that says do as I say and not as I do. Iran is their own country. They have a right to defend themselves whether Bush likes it or not.

Think about what I said. You know Im right on this.

df1

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Other countries are demanding a fair share of the worlds natural resources and their are a limited amount of these resources. The US wishes to maintain a monopoly on WMDs so it may use them to intimidate defenseless nations. It is really that simple.

As for the blathering about muslims hating and wanting to kill us infidels because of our freedom, hogwash. The bush administration has played the racist card inorder to get the support of low brow rednecks that could not operate their zipper without instructions. Judging from this thread, it is working.

Do a morality test on yourself and tell me how many third world murders are acceptable to you for each $30 barrel of oil, because the WMD issue is about oil, not ideology.

[edit on 13-6-2004 by df1]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Originally posted by Attero Auctorita
This sickens me, all countries have the right to have nukes. -Attero

I respect your opinion. and ALL are free to express their views here. This is ATS and it is an open forum. If you have not joined now is as good a time as any. I myself am just a member.

Now Attero, Iran is a nation of mainly radical Islamic Shi'ites who would think nothing of launching a nuclear attack on Israel if they had the weapons to do so. They are also very much anti-American, in fact they are against everything in western culture. To them we are all infidels. That being said there is a good number of Iranians who are more moderate in thinking. But they are still subject to the rule of the radicals.

Trust me these are the last people and the last nation on Earth we want having nuclear weapons.

Gazz

I think you are speaking a little out of turn here. Let me ask you this how many iraninas do or have you known? I dated an iranian for 5 years i was very involved with thie lives and family history. I was always very inquisitive as i had always listened to people sucha s yourself. You are way off base yes the powers that controll the country yes may be as you state. But the people themselves are not like you paint them with your unimformed brush.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The US isn't the only country that doesn't want Iran to go nuclear. The members of the EU are strongly against it, as are regional countries. Saudi Arabia would not accept it. Even China is not interested in further proliferation as it is not in its interest for the nuclear threshold to be crossed. If Iran acquired nuclear weapons, the population would be much less likely to support any indigenous bid to oust its extremist rulers, fearing the worst case of what could happen in a power vacuum. The possession of nuclear weapons in a country like Iran would lead to similar results as in Pakistan: the military, responsible for a power that could provoke the country's destruction if misused, would gain near-absolute control over all activity in the country.

There is no country currently owning nuclear weapons that would be as much a risk to further proliferation as Iran would be if it went nuclear, barring perhaps Pakistan (which should be disarmed, and possibly already has been). China exhibited this behaviour in the 80s but it is perceived that they too realize that proliferation is very much against their interests.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leigon

Let me ask you this how many iraninas do or have you known? I dated an iranian for 5 years i was very involved with thie lives and family history. I was always very inquisitive as i had always listened to people sucha s yourself. You are way off base yes the powers that controll the country yes may be as you state. But the people themselves are not like you paint them with your unimformed brush.

Did you miss the part where I said the following?

"That being said there is a good number of Iranians who are more moderate in thinking. But they are still subject to the rule of the radicals."

Let me make it clearer for you, There is a very large number of the Iranian people who are very moderate and if not for the radical leaders hardline rule they (modrate Iranians) would have an Iran that would be most like western culture out of any muslim nation.

And yes I do know and have met many Iranian Americans. and learned a great deal about Iran from them.

You did not understand the full meaning of my post or maybe I did not explain it well enough.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Gazz

top topics

<<   2 >>

join